Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.1  (Read 19133 times)

ivan

• View Profile
ArcaOS 5.1
« on: April 12, 2023, 11:53:16 pm »
Why would I want ArcaOS 5.1 if the 5.07 version I have does all that I want - it even runs on my Ryzen third generation processor and motherboard.

It would have to have some impressive improvements to make me want to change and if so what are they?

Change my mind.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS 5.1
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 12:21:39 am »
Hi

I don't want to change nobody's mind you are free to take your own choices in life, and I respect that. There are people that have some old hardware where OS/2 Warp 4 or eComStation is running fine, and they do not have the need to update.

On the other hand, I want to use ArcaOS 5.1, because I want to try the UEFI support on some laptops that does not have Compatibility Mode on the UEFI BIOS.

Since this is an small community I prefer to use the latest release so Arca Noae will not spend resources supporting older versions at the same time of the newer/mainstream one, but for I have hear, they will support the 5.0.x branch for some time.

But maybe it will change your mind that with the UEFI mode in ArcaOS 5.1, it will allow you to have a nice HD Boot Logo when you start your machine  ;D ;D ;D  .
I think it will be useful for you to check the "changelog" once ArcaOS 5.1 is released and see if there is something that gets your attention.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 01:23:35 am »
There's better DOS and WinOS2 support if that matters to you. It will be available in various languages if that matters to you. And the stuff Martin mentioned. Other then that, if 5.0.7 works for you, stick with it, might even be a 5.0.8 eventually as fixes happen.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 05:11:03 am »
Hi Martin,

Sorry if I appeared abrupt but I was just trying to get a discussion going about the invisible product.  It would have been better if they had kept quiet about it and only made an announcement when it was ready to ship.

Hi Dave,

That is the type of information I am looking for - thanks.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 01:45:14 pm »
Ivan, I sort of disagree with that perspective. It is a good thing to create anticipation for a new product.Meaning sales will be good. What is bad in saying it will be out in a few weeks and it being months instead. But then I know having worked IT some things go insanely wrong and it goes that way for a time until someone gets the fix in. Arca Noae wants to be able to support the new product and continue to support the old one. This is admirable. I myself have been at the mercy of things becoming unsupported suddenly. It is a pain not to mention expensive.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 06:00:41 pm »
Eugene,  My experience from over 30 years in engineering (now retired for 20 years) was you didn't announce a product until you had it ready to go out the door, then you pulled out all the stops and pressed down on the loud pedal.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 07:08:17 pm »
I agree with you 100% ivan! I'm not going to replace my machines just so I can claim I,m using UEFI, especially now that you seem to have RYZEN processors working without problems. 5.1 is starting to look like a myth!

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 07:55:57 pm »
I gave up using Intel processors when AMD produced their 486 processor.  Since then I have tried to keep up with their processor evolution, hence my using the Ryzen third gen PRO 4350G - the G indicated an included graphics processor which means I don't have to mess about with expensive graphics cards which gain nothing with OS/2 or ArcaOS.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 09:18:09 pm »
I don't think its wrong for Arca Naoe to say they are working on a new operating system version, or what features it will have. But I don't want them to announce that it is nearly out. That kind of announcement is pretty discouraging to re-sellers.

By the way, I'm posting from the "mythical" 5.1. If you need GPT or UEFI, this is a good change. If you don't, ArcaOS 5.0 should be fine.

I guess it's the same with the new browser. No one knows when a stable version will come out. I love the blow-by-blow of trying to build it, and even to move to a newer version, but I don't need a prediction of when the hangs and other problems will be solved. I just need to know when to press the update button.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 09:20:31 pm by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 08:06:40 am »
I don't think its wrong for Arca Naoe to say they are working on a new operating system version, or what features it will have. But I don't want them to announce that it is nearly out. That kind of announcement is pretty discouraging to re-sellers.

By the way, I'm posting from the "mythical" 5.1. If you need GPT or UEFI, this is a good change. If you don't, ArcaOS 5.0 should be fine.

I guess it's the same with the new browser. No one knows when a stable version will come out. I love the blow-by-blow of trying to build it, and even to move to a newer version, but I don't need a prediction of when the hangs and other problems will be solved. I just need to know when to press the update button.

I completely second this assertion of yours. I have seen all kinds of gigantic failures in the past years, from the Sinclair QL to Apple Lisa, NeXT and other "next big things" which should have revolutioned the computing world but were announced too early, or were too different from the advertised product.

I am following the discussions here and am eager to be able to update my ArcaOS distribution, but having almost zero spare time it's pretty much difficult for me even to fire up a Virtualbox session, let alone installing ArcaOS on a bare metal machine (I have almost five dual core / i3 machines which need just some RAM and a HDD to work...).

Mentore

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 10:20:30 am »
Hey Neil,

That's lucky - you won't get any predictions from me on when the Qt6 builds will be stable. Fortunately, I'm doing this in my spare time - not for a living - so whether I make progress or not doesn't really have any consequences.

Cheers,

Paul

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 05:02:51 pm »
Hi,

I just got 5.1 installed on my laptop and install and everything went fine.  While trying to update from the command line or APM I get a lot of python dependency problems?  Is this normal?  I have not seen this happen of previous versions. 

Regards,

Rick

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 05:23:15 pm »
If using YUM to install updates, then no I have not seen any errors.

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
Fix Python Problems (Was: Re: ArcaOS 5.1)
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 05:33:15 pm »
Hello Rick and others!

This is a very common problem with an easy fix!

First, there was only Python2, which is EOL since years.
Now we have Python3 also.
Yum stuff requires Python2.

See also:
https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=3523
and
https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=3545

Select Python2 (2.7) and Python3 packages and one of the two Python unversioned packages (I suggest the one which sets the newer Python as default) and install them in one rush.
After that, everything will fall into place.

This is a known, but yet undocumented issue with the packaging (not with ANPN).

Greetings,
Sandra-Asja

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 06:20:53 pm »
Greetings,

Thankyou that seems to have fixed it for me...

Regards,

Rick