OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion

(1/11) > >>

Greg Pringle:
I have a copy of Win and I don't even have to press the update button. It does it form me whenever it wants.

About AMD, I run my workstation on ArcaOS with a Ryzen motherboard with 8 usb slots and 2 additional eSata cards. I routinely have 8 hard disks running. The problem is to load or reload the OS i have to unplug all the drives except the C: drive or the OS cannot find the boot device. I am wondering if 5.1 does this better.

ivan:
Hi Greg,

Do you really need 8 disks?  I have 5 on one of my Ryzen test units, the sixth place is a DVD unit and I have never had to disconnect any of them when I update the OS.

The smallest drive is a 1 TB unit all the others are 2 TB units which give more than enough space for storing data and programs.  I think you might have shot yourself in the foot with the extra eSata cards.

What motherboard is it?  My MSI B550-A Pro board has as standard 6 disk connectors as well as 2 M2 slots so no lack of disk space (see specifications section of attached manual).  It can also have 15 USB ports though I don't have them all attached.

I can't attach the manual as it is too large but it is easy to download from the MSI manuals site.

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Greg Pringle on April 14, 2023, 04:54:02 pm ---About AMD, I run my workstation on ArcaOS with a Ryzen motherboard with 8 usb slots and 2 additional eSata cards. I routinely have 8 hard disks running. The problem is to load or reload the OS i have to unplug all the drives except the C: drive or the OS cannot find the boot device. I am wondering if 5.1 does this better.

--- End quote ---

Depends on what your problem actually is. For BIOS boots, 5.1 likely won't be any different. For UEFI, and especially with GPT partitioning, yes it should help. Another advantage of 5.1, co-exists with other operating systems better and uses the same type of boot manager based on the ESP partition as other OS's. 3rd party boot managers such as rEFInd also work well, could use an icon for OS/2 though.

Eugene Tucker:
The MSI B550-A PRO may be working for Ivan. but it quits right after I add the NVME driver to the install.. I must not have all I need to have turned off.

ivan:
That might be because they are not designed for NVME - they are for SATA which is what I am using.

edit to include screen grab from manual

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version