Author Topic: ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion  (Read 24488 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2023, 04:28:50 am »
Pete yes it sees both the NVME drive I tried at first and the SATAS drive. I can install Linux on this board and Windows. I haven't tried Windows though. The other board of the same manufacturer was defective. so I sent it back.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2023, 05:04:30 am »
Hi Eugene

OK, so disk is visible to BIOS - so ArcaOS should "see" it as well as long as correct drivers are selected.

After checking whether you have disk controller set to AHCI or IDE boot ArcaOS media and select to Boot with Own Values. That should enable you to make sure that the correct disk controller drivers, AHCI or IDE, get loaded. If using AHCI for disk and IDE for dvd the AHCI drivers should be before the IDE drivers in any resulting config.sys - which you can check before proceeding with booting.

If the above does not help report back on what happens and, hopefully, we (collectively) may be able to come up with a resolution - or at least something else to try.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2023, 08:04:40 am »
Just a thought, I remember that I had to turn off the virtual cores of the processor in the bios before I could get very far with installing from the DVD.  Sorry but I forgot that it was 3 years ago and I'm not getting any younger.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2023, 12:55:02 pm »
Pete I do go to the install with my own selections and it just quits after that. Ivan I will check and see that that is turned off.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2023, 01:49:18 pm »
Hi Eugene,

I read the post and could not determine if you plugged your disk into one of the M.2 slot or on SATA port ?
I have a board under which, M.2 is not usable - PCI.e and had to remove the disk to see all other - , my ArcaOs has to be installed on a SSD sata port

(note: my board is a intel one...)
My be you can try exclude M.2 disks from under your config.sys AHCI driver and use disk plugged into SATA port to check if installation can proceed. This could help into problem determination 

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2023, 02:56:15 pm »
Hi Greg,

Do you really need 8 disks?  I have 5 on one of my Ryzen test units, the sixth place is a DVD unit and I have never had to disconnect any of them when I update the OS.

The smallest drive is a 1 TB unit all the others are 2 TB units which give more than enough space for storing data and programs.  I think you might have shot yourself in the foot with the extra eSata cards.

What motherboard is it?  My MSI B550-A Pro board has as standard 6 disk connectors as well as 2 M2 slots so no lack of disk space (see specifications section of attached manual).  It can also have 15 USB ports though I don't have them all attached.

I can't attach the manual as it is too large but it is easy to download from the MSI manuals site.

I have lots of data and some are used as backups of others. I also have hot-swap cages to add and remove drives, that requires bringing down the system to change drives. The problem with needing to remove drives for an install is required if there is more than one drive. The total number does not matter, except for the unplugging of everything.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2023, 03:17:03 pm »
Remy, Been there and I have done that too.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2023, 03:18:07 pm »
Hi Greg,

From what you say it sounds as if what you really need a large NAS setup with 4 TB, or larger, drives.  That would save you having to mess about with the drives on your computer.

I do not understand why you need to remove drives for an install.  All of my computers have more than one drive installed and I have never had to remove any to install OS/2 - ArcaOS or Linux Mint (can't comment about Windows because I don't use it other than as a dumb terminal for a data logger).

I get the impression that you are your own worst enemy, confusing the computer with removed drives and then having to reset the bios to reflect  the changed drive arrangement (you do change the bios when you change the drives I hope).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2023, 06:54:44 pm »
Note:Hi. I slipped this topic, since it changed from a "why ArcaOS 5.1" topic to a "Storage Discussion". I hope I didn't screw it up.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 01:56:20 am »
Hi Eugene

Pete I do go to the install with my own selections and it just quits after that.

Any idea where it is quitting?

Been a while since I last did an ArcaOS install but I seem to recall that you can select to show drivers loading which may give an idea where it is quitting - sometimes last driver listed onscreen or the next driver that should get loaded from the config.sys.

Regards

Pete

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2023, 02:13:37 am »
Pete, I would do that if the install got that far it quits right after I hit F10.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2023, 06:18:43 am »
Hi Eeugene

Are you installing from USB?
If "Yes" it could be worth trying a dvd install if possible.

I also wonder if the ISO file has got corrupted somehow. Is there an MD5 checksum with the ISO that you can use to check?

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2023, 02:00:04 pm »
one last question.  With all the disk changes how do they appear on the 'boot device priority bar' in the bios page?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2023, 02:21:17 pm »
Pete, Yes I tried the DVD install on SATA drives. It stops at the same place.
Ivan the boot order is fine. And I can instll LinuxFX on the computer. but I am going to sell that machine with whatever my client wants just to eliminate the problems and recoup the expense. I am glad that this mainboard works for you really.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2023, 02:25:08 pm »
As an additional note to Pete I used the same stick to install to my ASRock mainboard. Which was a B450-HDV R4.02.