Author Topic: ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion  (Read 26124 times)

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion
« on: April 14, 2023, 04:54:02 pm »
I have a copy of Win and I don't even have to press the update button. It does it form me whenever it wants.

About AMD, I run my workstation on ArcaOS with a Ryzen motherboard with 8 usb slots and 2 additional eSata cards. I routinely have 8 hard disks running. The problem is to load or reload the OS i have to unplug all the drives except the C: drive or the OS cannot find the boot device. I am wondering if 5.1 does this better.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 05:44:23 pm »
Hi Greg,

Do you really need 8 disks?  I have 5 on one of my Ryzen test units, the sixth place is a DVD unit and I have never had to disconnect any of them when I update the OS.

The smallest drive is a 1 TB unit all the others are 2 TB units which give more than enough space for storing data and programs.  I think you might have shot yourself in the foot with the extra eSata cards.

What motherboard is it?  My MSI B550-A Pro board has as standard 6 disk connectors as well as 2 M2 slots so no lack of disk space (see specifications section of attached manual).  It can also have 15 USB ports though I don't have them all attached.

I can't attach the manual as it is too large but it is easy to download from the MSI manuals site.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 06:01:30 pm »
About AMD, I run my workstation on ArcaOS with a Ryzen motherboard with 8 usb slots and 2 additional eSata cards. I routinely have 8 hard disks running. The problem is to load or reload the OS i have to unplug all the drives except the C: drive or the OS cannot find the boot device. I am wondering if 5.1 does this better.

Depends on what your problem actually is. For BIOS boots, 5.1 likely won't be any different. For UEFI, and especially with GPT partitioning, yes it should help. Another advantage of 5.1, co-exists with other operating systems better and uses the same type of boot manager based on the ESP partition as other OS's. 3rd party boot managers such as rEFInd also work well, could use an icon for OS/2 though.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 12:10:46 am »
The MSI B550-A PRO may be working for Ivan. but it quits right after I add the NVME driver to the install.. I must not have all I need to have turned off.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 02:39:00 am »
That might be because they are not designed for NVME - they are for SATA which is what I am using.

edit to include screen grab from manual
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 05:51:00 am by ivan »

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 03:30:50 pm »
Ivan, drat you are right. My set up as it stands is on a SATA I will just transfer the drive over to the other machine.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 04:14:46 pm »
No problem.

When I was lecturing at the tech college (shows my age because most of them became universities to the detriment of most technicians) I always insisted they read and understand the manuals for the equipment after all the people that wrote them didn't do it for themselves but for those that would end up using it.

No matter it is a very good board and drives my 28 inch 1920x1200 HDMI without problems.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 04:17:14 pm by ivan »

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 11:29:50 pm »
Hi ivan, how about a little more information on the MSI board! I've been waiting for almost two years to see if the Ryzan processors are trouble free with ArcaOS and Linux. I too am pretty old 85, and leagally blind, and have been using AMD processors ever sinse they were first anounced.  I'd like to upgrade M.B. & Processors even if its onlu using  5.0.7. My primary problems are:
Very high heat problems  using multiple virtual machines
Pathetic video with sound ArcaOS only.
Samba works, Linux Great, ArcaOS YUK!
Are there any installation problems using the MSI 8550 & Ryzan?   Yeah< I know --- Read  the installation mannual!
Thanks for any Info.

klipp

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 01:11:20 am »
Hi Klipp,

I don't have all the answers but I will try.

No problems with heat using the large processor fan unit.
Video is from the processor inbuilt video processor (I am using the third gen Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G processor) and it drives a 28 inch 1092x1200 HDMI monitor without problems.
No comment on sound because I can't be bothered with it (It was a distraction when I was working and if I want sound I use my large amplifier and speakers)
I use samba to have a constant connection to my dual NAS box arrays from both OS/2 and Mint.
The only thing with the install was the requirement to set the UEFI bios to compatibility mode and leave it there.
I installed ArcaOS from a DVD because that is/was how I have always installed OS/2.  I think it could be installed from USB but I have never tried to do that (stick with what you know is my motto).

The attached pic is a full-screen grab of my monitor.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 02:09:10 pm »
Even switching to SATA  and shutting everything down.  My MSI B550 Pro will not install ARCA OS 5.07. And it will not run with the drive from my old install which is on an ASROCK B450M_HDV R4.0 Which works great by the way. Some of us may be forced to wait for ARCA OS 5.1.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 09:46:49 pm »
Did you open the bios and set it to compatibility mode?  Sorry I can't remember where it was in the bios now but that I what I had to do to get ArcaIOS to install and as I said the install was from a DVD because most of the USB are not available until the drivers for them are installed.

If you don't set the bios to compatibility mode nothing except windows will install.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 10:41:49 pm »
Ivan CSM is a given on any newer computer that has it. So yes I did. Also Secure boot as well.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 12:02:31 am »
Secure Boot needs to be <b>off</b> because we don't have the security key necessary to activate it

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 01:48:09 am »
Secure Boot needs to be <b>off</b> because we don't have the security key necessary to activate it

Secure Boot is completely irrelevant when booting in CSM mode - it is only supported under UEFI. Plus, many BIOS's disable or ignore it when CSM is enabled since CSM violates the Secure Boot protocol.

As far as having a "security key", that too is largely irrelevant for the intrepid user. I'm running an older 5.1 beta under Secure Boot (along with Win11 and Kubuntu) on a UEFI-only machine. Since my version wasn't signed, I created my own keys, signed the UEFI binaries, then enrolled my public key on the machine. I understand that AN is now signing its UEFI binaries and distributing its public key, so this shouldn't be a major issue for most users - when the time comes...

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 07:57:29 am »
That is fine Rich, you are a programmer and know what to do us other poor slobs don't have that knowledge so use what we were told when UEFI came on the scene.  Anyway it worked for me so I am a happy camper.