Author Topic: ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion  (Read 26065 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: ArcaOS and Storage - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2023, 10:59:21 am »
That is fine Rich, you are a programmer and know what to do us other poor slobs don't have that knowledge so use what we were told when UEFI came on the scene.

No, it's not that I'm a programmer, it's that I make a good-faith effort to know what I'm talking about before posting. And, if I'm not 100% sure of my answer I test it first. Far too many people seem to think this forum is some sort of game show: "Be the first to post an answer and you can win a matching set of luggage - No knowledge required". How does that help anyone?

In this case, you say you were told disabling Secure Boot was a requirement even in CSM/BIOS mode, and so you disabled it, relying on something you read. If you saw that in this forum, were you truly well-served by having someone who didn't know and certainly didn't test, posting misinformation that you then repeated? Wouldn't we all be better off if people like that kept their hands off the keyboard rather than leading others astray?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2023, 01:06:17 pm »
I have to agree with Rich not everyone has the money to experiment with motherboards. So we do need to be careful with recommendations.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 01:59:08 pm »
I am of the opinion that Secure Boot should be off because is serves little purpose other than enabling M to ban software.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 03:11:08 pm »
I am of the opinion that Secure Boot should be off because is serves little purpose other than enabling M to ban software.
I'm pretty sure, they can do that without secure boot. Is there any proof for your assertion?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »
Hi klipp

Very high heat problems  using multiple virtual machines

Have you considered liquid cooling?

A basic cooler costs less than the fancier air cooling systems and they do not suffer from dust build up on/in the fins of the cpu cooler block.

I am currently using a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120  https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-lite-120/  and can state that it does a much better job of keeping my AMD FX4300 cpu running cool than the supplied AMD air cooler ever did.

I do have to add that it is a good idea to give the radiator a clean (quick suck with a low power vacuum cleaner) about once a year to remove the little dust caught in the radiator - I used to have to clean the air cooler 3 or 4 times a year.

Regards

Pete

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:08 pm »
Hey Pete! How've you been? its been a while! Thanks for the Tip, I'm considering it now ! And its affordable, I;l give one a try!

Eugene Tucker; I didn't notice at first, but Ivan's screenshot showed he was using OS2 Warp. I thought we were talking ArcaOS 5.0.7! Maybe thats the reason it works for him and not for you  I would really like to know for sure if it works with 5.0.7. It would be good  to hear what Dave Yeo thinks about this.

klipp

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 08:29:14 pm »
Funny he started this thread with a comment about 5.07 working for him and why would he want ARCA OS 5.1. LOL

JPM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 08:47:00 pm »
It's ArcaOS, see XPager …

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2023, 12:26:01 am »
Hi All

Might be worth Ivan and Eugene comparing BIOS versions.

Regards

Pete

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2023, 12:29:40 am »
Pete, a very good suggestion.AMI BIOS 7C56vA9 2022-03-18. So Ivan what is your version?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2023, 08:09:38 am »
Just on my way out for the day,  Will post that info this evening when I get back.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2023, 11:10:28 am »
The soy-boy protests have reached down here now so I cut my trip to the city short. 

The bios on my board is E7C56AMS.A10 date 07/01/2020.  Rather earlier than yours which is most probably the reason why I can run ArcaOS without problems.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2023, 02:12:13 pm »
FWIW, my B550-A PRO is BIOS version E7C56MS.A90 dated 03/17/2022. I have ArcaOS installed and running on it. CSM is enabled.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2023, 04:58:57 pm »
Is your board a MSI? I see no UEFI bios listed under that description. If so it could be the processor which is a 5700G. I am at a loss.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2023, 12:07:25 am »
Hi Eugene

Probably a silly question but have you checked whether the BIOS can "see" the attached SATA disk?

If the disk is not seen check all SATA Port and Disk settings - probably in the BIOS Advanced interface.
Also check whether AHCI or IDE is selected.

Regards

Pete