Author Topic: Samba -- Can't make it work!  (Read 14381 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Samba -- Can't make it work!
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:00:34 am »
I finally got a Xerox printer to work with eCS, now I need to share it with three other eCS/OS2 boxes on a lan. So I've installed Samba Version 3.3.16-eCS 1.1.4-804 on the machine with the printer, running eCS 2.1. It installed fine and both NMBD & SMBD is running but thats as good as it gets! Anything I try to do gives "SYS0065: Network access is denied." Trying to log on as a user -- Root, guest or other user & password entries throws the same error, "Find SMB/CIFS machines" finds no machines as long as all boxes are running eCS. But with one box booted to SuSE 12.2 it see's that machine as well as the eCS boxes. But trying to do anything with the server box gives the "Network access is denied" error.
  Is it possible there are problems with the veraion of Samba I'm using or more likely problem with me?¿?!
  Thanks for any comments.

klipp

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Samba -- Can't make it work!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:35:38 am »
I finally got a Xerox printer to work with eCS, now I need to share it with three other eCS/OS2 boxes on a lan. So I've installed Samba Version 3.3.16-eCS 1.1.4-804 on the machine with the printer, running eCS 2.1. It installed fine and both NMBD & SMBD is running but thats as good as it gets! Anything I try to do gives "SYS0065: Network access is denied." Trying to log on as a user -- Root, guest or other user & password entries throws the same error, "Find SMB/CIFS machines" finds no machines as long as all boxes are running eCS. But with one box booted to SuSE 12.2 it see's that machine as well as the eCS boxes. But trying to do anything with the server box gives the "Network access is denied" error.
  Is it possible there are problems with the veraion of Samba I'm using or more likely problem with me?¿?!
  Thanks for any comments.

Hi Klipp - can't help with the samba printing, but you could always run lprd on the os2 box, and use the slpr port driver on the other clients....

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:03:43 am »
Hey Paul, now thats a thought! If I can't get Samba to cooperate I'll try that route! --- Thanks

klipp

P.S. I'm still "Dukeing it out" with that Samsung CLP-365w, but so far its winning! --- no cigar yet!

Herwig Bauernfeind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »
Hi,
something must have gone wrong with user/pw setup.

I'd suggest to set loglevel to 5, start Samba, try to log in, stop Samba.
collect all the log files and send them to herwig.bauernfeind at bitwiseworks.com and I will take alook at it.

Kind regards,
Herwig

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:56:19 am »
Herwig, do you have a how-to to get SMB printing working on OS/2 over a network to a password protected print server? 

I have tried many times and failed every time - usually with some message about connecting to a password protected print server yet I can print to the same password protected print server from windows running in VirtualBox on the same OS/2 machine.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:17 pm »
I am not Herwig, and I am guessing at this (I haven't actually done it), but try:

Install the printer driver on the guest machine. After it is successfully installed, you will have a printer icon. Open the printer properties, and go to the Output Port tab. You need to install a new SMB port for the printer, and select it, then open the port properties. There, you will see the logon information that you need to fill in.

Whether it works, or not, I don't know. The same procedure seems to work okay when using a CUPS printer port to redirect output to another machine, with CUPS installed.

Herwig Bauernfeind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:57:59 am »
Dougs description is absolutely correct.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:55:34 am »
Thanks Doug and Herwig.  That is exactly as I have it (see smb-prn.jpg).  The problem is that it does not work.

Although the print server is on 24/7 it goes to standby after half hour of no use as does the HP laser printer, but that shouldn't be a problem because it isn't for windows running in the VM on the same machine.  I even went to the trouble of moving the computer over to the room with the printer and did a direct connection with a USB cable just to check the drivers do work - it does print that way.  There is no way that I am going to move the 38kg printer into my office especially when our test instruments are able to print to it over the network, which is its main use.

Now the question is does samba printing actually work on OS/2 eCS?  If it does, what versions of the various components are needed and where should they be placed - root directory, boot partition etc.?

eirik

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »
I have had similar problems making printing work under Samba, and has given up that route. Instead, I use lpr (as suggested by Paul).  This approach requires that each of your printers has unique IP-address, but once that is solved (and you have the appropriate printer drivers) it works excellent.

To increase user friendliness, I have a cmd file that starts the selected printers when needed.  The important code is the following line:

Start '"LPT1 Dell 3100" /N /MIN lprmon -b -r2 -p "Dell409852" -s 192.168.1.28 lpt1'

Those interested, email me and I will send you my netprint.cmd file that initializes several printers in an easy way.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 04:15:14 pm »
Eirik, that sounds interesting but does it work with a password protected print server?  I ask because the print server we use is built into the NAS we use to store the data from the test equipment and client information and so had to have password protection.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
I suggest you try printing a file directly from the command line with smbspool and see if that works:

smbspool smb://os2:password@WORK01/192.168.0.30/lp 1 os2 test 1 test file.txt

where 'password' is the password for user 'os2', and 'file.txt' is a file you want printed (I'm assuming your printer can handle ASCII text files natively).

If this doesn't work then there's presumably a problem either resolving the printer/server URI, or in the authentication. If it does work then the SMB port is misconfigured or corrupted somehow.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 05:50:58 pm »
Hi Alex.  That works IF the print server (nas) is awake.  It does not wake up the print server.

We might be getting somewhere with this, thanks.

More testing later to see if a print to file raw file prints. 

eirik

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:06 pm »
Hi Ivan,

you asked ".... that sounds interesting but does it work with a password protected print server?  I ask because the print server we use is built into the NAS we use to store the data from the test equipment and client information and so had to have password protection"

I do not know - the printers I use are not PW protected.  But once you have the IP-address to your printer, you can try.  If it does not work on a PW protected print server,  I suppose Alex' suggestion on smbspool is quite promising.  Please keep us posted on your progress (and good luck :-)