Author Topic: NVME Issues  (Read 5716 times)

christech

• View Profile
NVME Issues
« on: May 03, 2023, 10:49:44 pm »
I got a free laptop, wanted to try ArcaOS on it, it's a Dell Precision i5. Fitted a new NVME drive and once I followed the instructions to add the driver and edit Config.sys I was able to partition the drive and go through Phase 1. I made sure not to automatically reboot, and modified config.sys with the basedev=nvme.add and removed the switch on the ACPI line. When I reboot, all I get is a blinking cursor. Tried booting directly from the drive and also off the USB installer and selecting to boot from the NVME. Any suggestions? I turned off RAID mode in BIOS and set it to just ACPI.

Pete

• View Profile
Re: NVME Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 06:51:45 am »
Hi christech

Just a thought: Have you tried with the ACPI switch reinstated?

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:33:58 am »
Hi christech,

What does the manual say about that type of drive, is it the same type as the one you removed?  I ask because they can be either PCIe or SATA.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 02:18:00 pm »
Hi christech

What is the model number of the Dell Precision i5, maybe the specs will give us some hints.
Does it has an UEFI BIOS?

Update: Sorry, dumb question, if it has a M.2 port with NVME it is almost for sure it is an UEFI BIOS.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 05:18:48 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 03:16:45 pm »
I just installed ArcaOS on a T480 and I had to remove /VW AND leave /MAXCPU=1. With SMP there seems to be problems while installing.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 03:39:41 pm »
In theory, you should be able to add the NVMe driver to the ArcaOS 5.0x installer and finish the installation.

In practice, I have not been successful. Partly, that is because I am a beta tester, and have access to the ArcaOS 5.1 beta. That installs with no issues with NVMe. So I didn't try very hard to get 5.0 to install.

What does work easily is to take an ArcaOS 5.0 installed on hard drive, add NVMe driver, and copy to an NVMe hard drive, then boot to it. I've been running NVMe for a while on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M920q (tiny form factor).

I'm new to using NVMe drives, and I bought a cheap 2 TB one, and it failed at a little over 10000 hours of use. I hope these things are reliable.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 05:55:49 pm »
Neil... NVME's do seem more prone to thermal runnaway.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 06:27:44 pm »
Well for $h1t$ and giggles I installed a regular SATA SSD and I got the same result.. must be something with the machine. I do have a Lenovo ThinkPad with an NVME drive in it, working just fine. 

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 07:58:06 pm »
Well after a BIOS update its booting from the SSD. That's progress I guess!

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 11:16:50 pm »
In theory, you should be able to add the NVMe driver to the ArcaOS 5.0x installer and finish the installation.
I just did this yesterday with a M710q. The only issue I  had was that it wouldn't boot to the NVMe drive from the AOS menu when booted from USB. For Stage 2, I had to hit F12 and prioritise the NVMe stick.