Author Topic: PCI Parallel Port card install -- need info  (Read 30083 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: PCI Parallel Port card install -- need info
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:43 am »
Hi walking_x

Davids version of ACPI certainly works better than the versions released before he took over development. Of course this does not mean it will work on every system with every pci addin card but certainly worth a try.

Regards

Pete

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 08:20:46 am »
He can fix only PIC mode now, because PRINT01.SYS does not accept interrupts > 15. Driver can be recompiled from SDK sources with removing this limit - but who will make it except Mensys? ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:24:01 am by walking_x »

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:06:01 pm »
Everybody is probably aware of this, but FWIW using PSD=OS2APIC.PSD lets all processors function under these conditions.

klipp

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:36:31 am »
Davids version of ACPI certainly works better than the versions released before he took over development.

There is no doubt about that.

because PRINT01.SYS does not accept interrupts > 15

I think you guys are forgetting, that the DEFAULT operation of PRINT01.SYS, is POLLING mode, which does not use an IRQ. Just leave off the /IRQ parameter. In the early days, that would use a noticeable amount of processor time, but today it is negligible.

There is also the PAR1284.SYS driver. I have no idea if it will help.

Everybody is probably aware of this, but FWIW using PSD=OS2APIC.PSD lets all processors function under these conditions.

Processors work, but there is no power control. That is not too serious on a desktop system, but is not good on a laptop. I have tried that on all of my SMP systems, and it does enable all processors on all of them, but I would only use it, if ACPI did not work. There is no other reason to use it.

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:57:28 am »
I think you guys are forgetting, that the DEFAULT operation of PRINT01.SYS, is POLLING mode, which does not use an IRQ. Just leave off the /IRQ parameter. In the early days, that would use a noticeable amount of processor time, but today it is negligible.
The problem is not IRQ, but detection of PCI cards in driver. It checks IRQ presence and its number in any way (even without /IRQ key) and ignore card if no one or it greater than 15.

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:11 pm »
walking_x, You are a GENIUS!¡!¡ It works like a charm now --- Thank you again and AGAIN!

klipp
Can you post the exact line you added to make this work? Then we will have all the information to go along with this card.

Thanks

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 09:26:22 pm »
Hi Eric, Attached is the PCIDEV.TBL you need to copy to OS/2/Boot. If you look at the last lines, you will see what I added for my PCIParllel card.

;    My PCI Adapter
 4651, 7073,s,p

Hope this helps,   klipp

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 10:20:07 pm »
FYI:

I've just uploaded to Hobbes an updated pcidevs.txt (updated to 2014-03-01). It's in /incoming, now, but it should replace the one from 2013-10-28.

Of course, this won't help drivers recognize hardware, but it should help us identify what new hardware we have, so that we may build the correct entries elsewhere or at least see what the system sees.

Cheers/2
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »
...also uploaded to Hobbes incoming is a tweaked PRINT01.SYS which should see IRQs as high as 48. Andy just built it form the DDK sources. This should obviate the need for Virtual Wire Mode under ACPI. Please test and report. I have it in a machine with a PCIe 1x parallel card (Oxford chipset), ACPI mode 2, set for IRQ 19. The card is recognized by the driver and prints as expected (I have not tested speed or anything else, just output to an HP LaserJet 4000 over an HP-branded IEEE-1284 bidi cable).

Cheers
Lewis
Managing Member

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
Hi Lewis, you're Print01.sys works fine on a Asus M4A88TD with four processors (AMD), no problems with SMP and activating the processors. Thanks for the efforts involved in upgrading Print01.sys ---- a much needed enhancement for eCS and OS/2.

klipp

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 03:53:05 am »
Late follow-up, due to my lack of sufficient notifications in my user profile here, Klipp...

Glad it worked, and hope that it continues to do so. Thanks to Andy for the great work. This thread reminds me that I owe him lunch at Warpstock, as his updated driver allowed me to deliver a machine to a client - and I got paid for that work, so he should, too.  :D

Cheers
Lewis
Managing Member