Author Topic: Why some Fonts looks "Irregular" bigger than 12pt ?  (Read 2777 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Why some Fonts looks "Irregular" bigger than 12pt ?
« on: May 19, 2023, 12:00:38 am »
Hi

I'm not sure if I asked this before.
I need some bigger fonts (not because I'm getting old, just because we use higher screen resolutions now  ;D ) but when I try to use a font that allows me the go bigger than 12, it looks "irregular" (not sure which word to use, since I don't want to use "bad").

I'm using a 1920x1080 VM and the Font Palette can show you my issue (Screen shot attached).

Why is this happening? Is there any way to improve my situation?

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Why some Fonts looks "Irregular" bigger than 12pt ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 01:41:34 am »
The four lousy looking ones are TrueType ones I made, and I can tell you exactly why: it's because they're not manually hinted.

Vector-based fonts like TrueType will naturally tend to look jaggy and uneven when reduced to a pixel grid without anti-aliasing. The proper way around this is to manually hint (or "grid-fit") the font. With TrueType/OpenType this is done using an extremely complex instruction syntax that resembles assembly-language programming (and can be about as difficult and complicated). It's a rare skill which TTBOMK is only possessed by a small number of highly-paid professionals, and is certainly beyond my capacity as a hobbyist.

This page explains the problem in more detail.

In this day and age, when most platforms anti-alias fonts as a matter of course, hinting is less commonly done. I think you'll find that these fonts look quite a lot better in Mozilla, QT, or OpenOffice, than they do under "raw" Presentation Manager output (which can't do antialiasing).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 04:04:30 am by Martin Iturbide »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Why some Fonts looks "Irregular" bigger than 12pt ?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 02:26:20 pm »
Thanks Alex.

So I understand that the choices will be to:
- To manually hint the fonts, which takes a lot of efforts.
- To include/hack antialiasing on Presentation Manager that will be a lot more of efforts.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.