Author Topic: Trials and Tribulations  (Read 6380 times)

robbiec

• View Profile
Trials and Tribulations
« on: May 19, 2023, 06:38:37 pm »
Hi All,

Long time ago user of OS/2 - beginning with OS/2 2.0 which migrated to 2.1 then 2.11 on a machine I built especially for it (486DX266, 16MB Ram, S3 805VLB, SB16 with CD Rom and a sub GB HDD
In the last 2 weeks I have been having a proper fight with Arca Noae 5.07 and getting it installed on two setup's I have here.
Setup 1 = Retro
AMD K6iii 400
512MB Ram
DFI P5BV3+
Nvidia MX400 (AGP)
SB16 Value
Sony CD/RW
Sony DVD
2 by USB 1
2 by Serial
1 by Parallel
1 by 3.5" FDD
1 by IDE to SDCard Adapter
HP 1704 4:3 LCD (1280x1024)
CH Products Mach 3 (Gameport)

This all came about when I remembered that I had a AMD K6iii loitering about the place needing a motherboard. I found the DFI on Ebay, cleaned it up and started picking up bits and pieces for it. GPU was €5, Ram was €15, IDE adapter €27 so all in its probably cost me about €200 in parts but a couple of grand in time :D - Panorama nor Snap will not work on either the Nvidia MX400 or an S3 Trio I have and the only way I could see anything was to setup as SVGA. I gave up and resorted to an ECS 2.1 build I had licensed. SNAP worked perfectly. SB16 works perfectly and I have been happy playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter with the Mach 3 card.

2nd system = Asus WS X570 Pro Ace with a Quad Core Ryzen (Gen 2), 32GB DDR4 and an Nvidia Geforce 210, HDD = Samsung 870
Curious thing about this is that I can work my way through the install, view the config sys but it will then hand on ACPI.PSD = registered to ....
Sooo - What I did was install it via VmWare Workstation Pro 17 and tranfer the SSD to the physical motherboard. Et Voila it booted straight into the Workplace Shell. I had to give the TCPIP setting a nudge with a Gateway and Static IP but have internet access via the onboard Intel 211 Gbit NIC, USB is working and I was able to select 1280x1024 via Panorama.

Only issue I have now is that the AN 5.07 build is not recognising any mass storage. 

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Trials and Tribulations
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 12:34:52 am »
Hello. Welcome back !!!!

... so all in its probably cost me about €200 in parts but a couple of grand in time :D ...
But the fun you get does not have a price  ;D ;D ;D

- Panorama nor Snap will not work on either the Nvidia MX400 or an S3 Trio I have and the only way I could see anything was to setup as SVGA. I gave up and resorted to an ECS 2.1 build I had licensed. SNAP worked perfectly.
That is strange, I guess that SNAP from eCS, from ArcaOS 5.0.7 or the one from hobbes (Snap_3-1-8.zip) should give you the same results. ArcaOS's SNAP is newer, but I guess some further testing is required to see what is going on.

Only issue I have now is that the AN 5.07 build is not recognising any mass storage. 
Do you mean "USB" mass storage?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 07:01:28 am »
Panorama nor Snap will not work on either the Nvidia MX400 or an S3 Trio I have and the only way I could see anything was to setup as SVGA
SNAP should work on those two cards, but as an alternative both of these cards have a discrete native OS/2 drivers, in the case of the S3 Trio, both classic and GRADD versions.

ArcaOS does not support 6x86 chips like the K6 BTW, some of the Arca supplied code is compiled for 686 using GCC and may not work on your setup. eCS is a much better bet.

robbiec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 01:14:30 pm »

Do you mean "USB" mass storage?

Regards
[/quote]

Yes, mass storage. Typically I have been using USB sticks and the OS is reporting them when I plug in but then states that it does not recognise device and that I can safely eject - that would be 4 sticks varying in size from 32GB to 1GB (last one has the ECS ISO). I just tried a Toshiba Portable drive and same - OS reports plugging in, looks at it, does not recognise and powers down the usb port?

robbiec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 01:18:43 pm »
Panorama nor Snap will not work on either the Nvidia MX400 or an S3 Trio I have and the only way I could see anything was to setup as SVGA
SNAP should work on those two cards, but as an alternative both of these cards have a discrete native OS/2 drivers, in the case of the S3 Trio, both classic and GRADD versions.

ArcaOS does not support 6x86 chips like the K6 BTW, some of the Arca supplied code is compiled for 686 using GCC and may not work on your setup. eCS is a much better bet.

Oh I did not know that ref the CPU restriction. Good to know. Thanks

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 02:52:20 pm »
I don't think that was read correctly. Here is the CPU support comment..."Intel Pentium Pro or higher, or an AMD K6 or higher. 64 Bit CPUs are supported (however ArcaOS will run in 32-bit mode). Computers with ARM CPUs are not supported. The Vortex86 CPU is not sufficiently compatible to run ArcaOS and is not supported."

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 05:09:50 pm »
Mass storage devices need partitioning and LVM info added if over 2GB in size. See https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/usb/preparing-usb-msd-disks/

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 12:39:10 am »
For what it's worth, I can confirm through my own "trials and tribulations" that this indeed the case when it comes to USB storage devices  > 2GB. I learned this after trying to transfer some of my personal files from my WinTel machine to my newly installed ArcaOS 5.0.7 laptop via a USB drive. I originally partitioned and formatted it under Windows 11 as FAT32 but no success reading under ArcaOS.. Finally discovered the info that Dave linked to above and partitioned and formatted it under ArcaOS using the LVM, then plugged it back into my WinTel box to copy the needed files, plugged it back into my ArcaOS  laptop and was able to successfully transfer the needed files.

Thanks,

Tony.

robbiec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 04:12:52 pm »
The weirdest thing is that it is not recognising a <2GB drive that the ECS build does. I need to investigate more. I also want to convert the SATA drive to an M.2 drive - I have some spares floating about, all 250-256GB in size, 3 by SATA keyed and 1 by NVMe keyed and change the GPU to a Quadro P2000 - just makes for a tidier build once in a case :)

Thanks all for looking in, really appreciate it.

robbiec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 11:37:26 am »
Performed a disk copy from Standard SATA 2.5" SSD to a Samsung PM871B M.2 SATA device using DFSee. Interesting thing about the Asus WS X570 Pro ACE (long winded I know), but it will only support a SATA M.2 in the first slot nearest the CPU.
Sorted the USB mass storage by changing the Config.sys, I had to update the line for USBMSD to allow for greater than 0 removable devices. That one had me flummoxed for a while.

robbiec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 05:18:38 pm »
The nvme.add driver is recognising a Hynix 500GB NVMe drive and it is showing in Hardware manager but not showing in LVM. I have it listed after AHCI and DANI and the /V is showing details during startup. Any hints?>