Author Topic: Problem usbdrv248 - 10.248  (Read 7254 times)

Igor

• View Profile
Problem usbdrv248 - 10.248
« on: May 10, 2023, 02:09:27 pm »
Hi!

First of all, I want to thank Lars Erdmann for working on the drivers.
The driver version 248 freezes at boot.
I have a non-standard configuration of hardware and software.
I have a USB floppy drive installed permanently connected inside the computer case.
Thus, it is always connected to USB at the time of booting the system.
I also use AN drivers to use USB3. But I use USBMSD from Lars Erdmann to access the floppy drive.
I have two wishes:
1. If possible, make USBMSD support USBXHCD.
2. Version 248 I have when booting accesses the drive and freezes. Perhaps because the drive is empty. I would be glad if you fix it.

Lars

• View Profile
Re: Problem usbdrv248 - 10.248
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 07:05:31 am »
I cannot. USBMSD.ADD interacts with USBD.SYS in a certain way to allow boot support and the changes I made to USBMSD.ADD and USBD.SYS (and the HC drivers, but these are minor) also have a repercussion on the use of USBMSD.ADD if not booting from USB. I guess the AN USBD.SYS driver works differently. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 07:14:37 am by Lars »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 09:00:28 am »
I have a USB floppy drive installed permanently connected inside the computer case.
I have permanently connected a KVM-41ua 4 USB Port 2.0 Switch + A USB WiFi Keyboard with mouse (which has never worked well, the kvm)
I don't have Lars's USB drivers installed
But when up to the last version of ACPI drivers, the computer start stopped. Disconnecting the KVM cables from the USB and leaving only the monitor cable, with the usb wifi keyboard + mouse, it works well.
I tell you this in case the problem can be from the aci distric and not the USB Driver.
Saludos

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 07:54:33 pm »
I have permanently connected a KVM-41ua 4 USB Port 2.0 Switch + A USB WiFi Keyboard with mouse (which has never worked well, the kvm)
I don't have Lars's USB drivers installed
But when up to the last version of ACPI drivers, the computer start stopped. Disconnecting the KVM cables from the USB and leaving only the monitor cable, with the usb wifi keyboard + mouse, it works well.
I tell you this in case the problem can be from the aci distric and not the USB Driver.
Saludos
Thank you for the comment. I am not using ACPI from AN in this configuration. I use OS4 kit. For me, this kit works more quickly and steadily, including because it has a separate interrupt for each physical device. This avoids many problems.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 12:44:50 am »
Hi Igor,

Your setup sounds very odd indeed but I have a question - What mother board is it?  I ask because most have a connection for a floppy drive unless you have something like a third generation Ryzen board.

Other than that is there a possibility of you getting an add in card for a full floppy drive because, in my experience, USB floppy drives are not very reliable.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 07:23:56 pm »
Hi Igor,

Your setup sounds very odd indeed but I have a question - What mother board is it?  I ask because most have a connection for a floppy drive unless you have something like a third generation Ryzen board.

Other than that is there a possibility of you getting an add in card for a full floppy drive because, in my experience, USB floppy drives are not very reliable.
Hi Ivan,

I am using ASRock B85 Killer.
This motherboard does not have a floppy disk controller.
I could not find separate floppy disk controller boards for PCI or e-PCI. Chipsets for building such boards exist, but I have not seen an implementation in hardware.
I understand that the USB interface is not so reliable, but nevertheless this design works successfully in Windows and it's not very clear to me why they don't want to do it at least at the same level.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 09:44:30 pm »
Hi Igor,

An Intel board, I know nothing about them because I haven't used one since AMD came out with their 486.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 09:49:28 am »
try on 249

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 11:18:40 am »
Igor is trying to mix the AN drivers and my USBMSD.ADD because the one from AN does not properly work with USB floppy drives. That worked in the past (per coincidence) but now fails because of the changes I had to do for USB boot support.
As always, if you use AN stuff: you have paid for it, you are entitled for support.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 12:36:06 pm »
Hi Lars,
As always, if you use AN stuff: you have paid for it, you are entitled for support.
AN support required me to delete all OS4 files from disk. I even recognized this requirement and fulfilled it. I sent them reports from a clean system. After that, they simply stopped responding and closed the ticket concerning USB, saying that "everything works for them."
Another ticket about ZIP 100 was also ignored.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 03:52:35 pm »
Then the answer can only be: move away from OS/2.
It is no longer of practical use anyway (you can exchange data with Windows, but why do you then need OS/2 in the first place? Obviously, then you are also using Windows...).
If you see it as a hobby, then how much fun is it to wait for fixes that are never going to happen?

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 04:22:49 pm »
If you see it as a hobby, then how much fun is it to wait for fixes that are never going to happen?

It is not always true. I have received fixes and new features very soon. Thank you very much, Lars. :)