Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.8 is out!  (Read 22880 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
ArcaOS 5.0.8 is out!
« on: June 03, 2023, 12:11:27 am »
 Just installed - worked great once I figured out to have ACPI load before NVME in the installer (can't boot NVME on this machine in CSM mode). It has a new Kernel too, although I can't find any info about what is new in it...

Regards,

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.8 is out!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 01:03:59 am »
The kernel has some memory fixes, mostly for certain UEFI systems with fragmented memory IIRC.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 06:27:02 am »
Hi

For the moment everything is working fine here. I installed it on a VM (VirtualBox). Maybe this weekend I will try to update my Thinkpad L420.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 06:28:47 pm »
In order to upgrade is a reinstall necessary? Or is there an upgrade path for arca?

Thank You

Rick

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 06:37:00 pm »
Rick,

You can update... one of the early pages in the install has an option for update if it detects an install of ArcaOS (but not eCS or Warp). In my case, I had to put the AHCI driver ahead of the NVME driver in the pre-install menu to get it to detect my ArcaOS install. Not sure why they put the NVME in front of AHCI, but they did...

Regards,

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 09:33:14 pm »
Just updated my Acer Aspire Ultrabook with the new 5.0.8 release and the update went fine and everything seems to be running as good as ever.

Thanks,

Tony.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 12:24:28 am »
Hi, installed the new release today but ran in a lot of trouble.
So first question here: did anyone try a fresh install on real hardware with snap choosen as video driver.
I tried to install on an lenovo x201s with snap but in the second phase of the installation the system constantly crashe. Seems to be a problem with snap. I was able to install using gengradd, then installed snap from the iso, same crash. Switched back to VGA, then installed snap from a previous version, worked?
As the x201s seems a little bit tricky I would like to know if anyone else has the same problem before opening a ticket.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 08:04:48 pm »
If you do not run SNAP use Panorama and not Gengradd. Panorama provides better performance.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 08:32:36 pm »
On fresh installs on all my B550 based boards I get through the Ist phase and then it rebooted and the screen is dark with a blinking cursor in the upper left side.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 10:35:53 pm »
If you do not run SNAP use Panorama and not Gengradd. Panorama provides better performance.
Hi Roderick,
I know performance is better with panorama but there are other reasons for me to use snap:
This is a laptop and power management is bad enough with arcaos ( as it was with ecs too). So unsing snap at least gives me some possibilities, for example DPMS and the option to turn off the screen after a while. Withe the last release of arcaos I was able to dim the screen with fn +function keys (Acpi related I guess). I don not do to many things which would need a better vidoe performance.
Apart from this the question is why I am not longer able to install using snap although snap can be selected as vidoe driver in the setup.

Holger

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 12:06:19 am »
My upgrade from 5.0.7 halted on the first reboot with an error my config.sys LIBPATH statement wasn't acceptable.  After removing my application directories, the upgrade continued.   

After the upgrade completed, booting produced errors with USBMOUSE.SYS and USBKBD.SYS not loading due to the USBHID driver not being found.  Both of these drivers had been added to the tail of my config.sys.  Since I am not using serial but rather USB mode for my mouse and keyboard, I have removed these from my config.sys. 

Everything now appears to be working fine.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 01:31:31 am »
Hi Holger, the versions of Panorama and Doodles Screensaver in 5.0.8 support DPMS to turn off the screen

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 07:54:30 pm »
Well as far as the upgrade went to my AsRock B450 HDV turned out to be far less than perfect. Thunderbird wil not run, Oen Office will not run, Filestar and Unimaint wil not run Dooble wil not run. I am goig back to 5.07 for the time being. Back up back up back up.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 08:43:58 pm »
Hi Holger, the versions of Panorama and Doodles Screensaver in 5.0.8 support DPMS to turn off the screen

Hi Dave,
thank you for the hint. I was brave enough to install panorama, and yes it works like you said. Still would like to be able to dim the screen using fn+ function keys like before. So have to consider what to do. Do you know whether the knew kernel is supported by older previous acpi versions?

Holger

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 09:32:05 pm »
Hi Holger, IIRC, it will give a warning about unsupported kernel but work.

Hi Eugene, sounds like you have to install some stuff with ANPM, though TB should have all its prerequisites. Anything in popuplog.os2