Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.8 is out!  (Read 22871 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.8 is out!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 09:56:09 pm »
David, That is my impression that the update did not update some of the dlls with it. but that does not explain the Filestar and Unimaint being unable to boot, which are native OS/2 applications. My next move is to attempt the install to a NVME drive. It will be native on the same machine that I installed 5.07 to. I wil keep this drive in the system if successful and rebuild.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 04:41:50 pm »
On fresh installs on all my B550 based boards I get through the Ist phase and then it rebooted and the screen is dark with a blinking cursor in the upper left side.

I was loading an Asus x570-PLUS with the same situation. The way it worked was to use the bios to set the boot device to the USB and then on first reboot change the boot device back to the boot drive. I also had to change the ACPI line in the config.sys to remove the /VW before the first reboot for the install to see the USB. This was new behavior from earlier versions.

On my system with 7 sata connections I had to remove all the sata connections except the boot drive sata connection for the install to recognize drive C:   Once installed the other sata connections were connected again and worked. This was the same as earlier versions.

Another new item was the ArcaOS splash screen last a lot longer than in the past.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 05:06:53 pm »
So far so good with me. I'm running it on a Dell Precision T3610 workstation. Now both of my Win/OS2 session works. I can't get the DOS window to work, but DOS full screen works. Also DPMS is working now, which is nice. I was able to open Firefox and Lotus SmartSuite with no issues.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 05:15:37 pm »
Thanks Greg I will give it a try.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 05:28:37 pm »
The only thing I have noticed so far is that my icon theme reset back to ArcaOS icons. I had to reset them to the Warp 4 set.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2023, 04:20:02 pm »
Hi, installed the new release today but ran in a lot of trouble.
So first question here: did anyone try a fresh install on real hardware with snap choosen as video driver.
I tried to install on an lenovo x201s with snap but in the second phase of the installation the system constantly crashe. Seems to be a problem with snap. I was able to install using gengradd, then installed snap from the iso, same crash. Switched back to VGA, then installed snap from a previous version, worked?
As the x201s seems a little bit tricky I would like to know if anyone else has the same problem before opening a ticket.

I did another install on a T400 (complete fresh install, choosing SNAP as video driver leads to the same crash in the 2. phase of the installation, so probably a bug.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 10:28:40 pm »
Well I got a clean install on my Asus motherboard. Key one is do remove the /VM. The other is just in case pull the ARCA OS usb stick during the 2nd phase. I pulled the Arca OS USB stick out as far as it would go and still be in the slot so all I had to do was push it in when the desktop came up.Worked lke like a charm. Thank you Mr. Pringle.

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2023, 04:45:45 pm »
The only thing I have noticed so far is that my icon theme reset back to ArcaOS icons. I had to reset them to the Warp 4 set.

Curious on how to set system to warp 4 icon set that would be cool.  Also do you know where there are any warp 4 wallpapers for that vintage look?

Rick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2023, 06:20:10 pm »
Go to Appearance-->Scheme Palette in System Setup and choose your theme and drag'n'drop it, Alt will make it system wide.
You might find a background in \os2\bitmap

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2023, 07:17:49 pm »
Go to Appearance-->Scheme Palette in System Setup and choose your theme and drag'n'drop it, Alt will make it system wide.
You might find a background in \os2\bitmap

Thank you Ill have a look... I have to redo everything as the 5.0.8 "update" wiped out my drive and I have to start over....

Rick

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2023, 08:31:49 pm »
Hi Rick,

What do you mean it 'wiped out your drive'?  It shouldn't touch anything but your boot partition unless you made the whole drive as one partition.

My setup has several partitions, see attached, plus 2 other 2 tb drives.  That setup is from the days of OS/2 Warp v4 with the only changes being to the 'C' boot partition.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2023, 11:04:37 pm »
My one upgrade did not go well. The full clean install on a new computer did. Other problems no QT5 apps would run. Firefox Seamonkey and Thunderbird would not run And Apache Open Office as well.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2023, 09:26:06 pm »
Sorry, but my philosophy is 'if it is working why change it, unless there is some earth shattering innovation'.

Since no one has mentioned earth shattering like dumping rpm/yum for warpin wpi there is nothing to get excited about.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2023, 10:05:06 pm »
Ivan, I disagree. The fact you can install with out issue to a NVMe drive is pretty important. That and there sre specialized installs for the audio drivers. Sometimes it is a little upgrade that is why the .00 designation. But It is up to you.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2023, 01:26:27 am »
I had no problems installing on to a M.2 stick although I will say doing that seems to preclude using a normal HD for storage.