Author Topic: Registry editor  (Read 12046 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: Registry editor
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2023, 07:11:47 pm »
XFIX from XWORKPLACE is also very good at cleaning OS2.INI but doesn't do OS2SYS.INI which is a pity.

XFix works exclusively on OS2SYS.INI.

Here's what a well-maintained system looks like (after mowing the grass, trimming the bushes, and pulling a bunch of weeds):

Code: [Select]
7-15-23 12:54p       753,122      0 as-r  OS2.INI
7-15-23 12:50p       109,048      0 as-r  OS2SYS.INI

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2023, 08:29:40 pm »
Sorry Rich, I have had it set to read OS2.INI almost since it first became available that I considered it to be the default setting.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2023, 10:56:07 am »
Unimaint / Inimait are also editors for the ini files and can cleanup things.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2023, 11:59:00 am »
My inis are currently quite big -
Code: [Select]
15.07.23  13.13       3.500.039      0   R_SA_  OS2.INI
15.07.23  13.13         457.587      0   R_SA_  OS2SYS.INI

Just started checkini / cleanini but that didn't help much.

What potentially could help is to write a tool that reads these INIS, application per application and key per key and writes the application/key pairs back to a new INI file that needs to be swapped in/replaces the original on the next system restart.

I suspect that the Prf API is not really good at compressing the INI file, if keys are removed, truncated and/or subsequently enlarged. The only thing that will then (hopefully) help is to actually create a new INI file.

I do not know if checkini/cleanini work this way.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 12:02:47 pm by Lars »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2023, 01:32:45 pm »
I suspect that the Prf API is not really good at compressing the INI file, if keys are removed, truncated and/or subsequently enlarged. The only thing that will then (hopefully) help is to actually create a new INI file.

I do not know if checkini/cleanini work this way.

Using checkini from Henk Kelder (part of the WPTools package) seems to work that way: if you tell it to remove things, it produces smaller ini files (and saves a backup copy of the original ini files, if desired). Don't know about cleanini (never used it).

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2023, 06:28:47 pm »

INI files have no dead entries, slack space, etc. so rewriting the files will have no effect.

The only solution for an oversized os2.ini is manual maintenance. There is no way for an automated tool to know that a given entry belongs to some app that you deleted 2 years ago. Only you know that, so only you can make the informed decision to delete it.

Open an INI editor and scan the list of "Applications" (the top-level key) for entries that are clearly obsolete, then delete them. Next, look for stuff you seldom use. Often the only key associated with the application is "WNDPOS" or "WindowPos" which (as the name says) describes the position and size of the app's main window. If so, delete the application (not just the key) - when you next open the app, its window will open at its default size and location. Do NOT touch any "Application" whose name starts with "PM_" or "PMWP_", or for that matter, anything you don't recognize (often the names of the keys or their data will help identify the origin of an entry).

One tool that may help a bit is my 'Iconomize' util which displays an app's assigned icon and its default icon side-by-side. If the two match (or you don't care about the custom icon), delete it. This can save 4-11k per entry.

BTW... don't even think of editing 'os2sys.ini' manually.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 09:23:16 pm by Rich Walsh »