OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Networking

[SOLVED] Release IP and Refresh IP from DHCP

(1/3) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hello

Can someone please refresh me the techniques to release IP address and refresh/reset the IP (on ArcaOS) to get a new IP from the DHCP?

I have some issues with my VirtualBox VM guest (Host is on Windows 10). I hibernate the ArcaOS VM from the office network,  go home and re enable it, but it does not longer has internet access until I reboot.  Is this an issue of VirtualBox?

Regards

Tom:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on July 17, 2023, 05:28:39 pm ---Hello

Can someone please refresh me the techniques to release IP address and refresh/reset the IP (on ArcaOS) to get a new IP from the DHCP?

I have some issues with my VirtualBox VM guest (Host is on Windows 10). I hibernate the ArcaOS VM from the office network,  go home and re enable it, but it does not longer has internet access until I reboot.  Is this an issue of VirtualBox?

Regards

--- End quote ---

Use the DHCP Monitor for that (dhcpmon.exe - to be found in \mptn\bin). After its window comes up, use the Actions menu to Request a lease or Release a lease.

Regarding your issue: I would suggest that at your office you already use "Release a lease" from within your VM, before hibernating. And at home use "Request a lease". Not sure if it would matter that the DHCP servers at your office and at your home possibly have a different IP address. It could be that  the DHCP Monitor at home tries to use the IP address for the DHCP server that is used in your office.

Alex Taylor:
In my experience, release/request by itself isn't generally enough if you're moving from one network to another.

My procedure to clear out the current network configuration on, say, lan0 is (I have a 'fluship' script to do this) is:

--- Code: ---dhcpmon -t
route -f
ifconfig lan0 down
ifconfig lan0 delete
arp -f
--- End code ---

Then (assuming I'm connected to the new network), I run mptn\bin\setup.cmd, which will start the DHCP client on lan0 with a fresh configuration.

This works well 99% of the time.  Very rarely, something of the old configuration seems to get stuck to the point that only a reboot will clear it.

Remy:
What I do under ClamAV GUI to refresh dhcp
If lan0 used

a/ ifconfig lan0 -arp
b/ ifconfig lan0 down
c/ dhcpmon -T
d/ ifconfig lan0 up
e/ ifconfig lan0 arp
f/ dhcpmon -R

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

--- Quote from: Alex Taylor on July 17, 2023, 11:34:35 pm ---
--- Code: ---dhcpmon -t
route -f
ifconfig lan0 down
ifconfig lan0 delete
arp -f
--- End code ---

Then (assuming I'm connected to the new network), I run mptn\bin\setup.cmd, which will start the DHCP client on lan0 with a fresh configuration.

--- End quote ---

Alex, I was able to test it today and it worked.

On the next trip to the office I will try Remy's technique.

Thanks to all for your tips.

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version