Author Topic: OS2World Common Fund 2014 - Open for Proposals  (Read 58089 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
OS2World Common Fund 2014 - Open for Proposals
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:23:58 pm »
Dear Community Members.

Last year I started to clean up the OS2World Bounty System and created a Single Common Fund.

The basic rules of the Common Fund are listed on its page.

This year I will really like to make that money productive in something that will benefit the community.
Even that I can dream about all the stuff that we are missing and we want, like having more drivers, cloning WPS, etc, etc...  but sadly I was not able to find the developers to do that.

For the moment I only have one real proposal:

Proposal 1: Use the common fund to kickstart SWT/Eclipse port to OS/2-eCS platform.
I had a chat with Silvan (from Bitwise works GmbH - his team has ported Qt, OpenJDK and Mozilla) and told me that even that the current funds are not enough to complete the SWT/Eclipse port it will be a good kickstarter for this project.

So I have a real proposal of what can be done with the OS2World Common Fund this 2014. With this money and the donations from the community we can support this project.

Open for Proposals
I'm open for other proposals on how to use this money, but I need that the proposals are backed by the developers that can do it.

For example: If someone says, lets use this for something else, it need to know or had contact with someone that can actually code it and that agrees to the terms of the OS2World Common fund.

So:
1) Let me know if you agreed to Proposal #1
2) Let me know any other Proposal.

I hope in one month to request the OS2World Board to fund a project based on what we discuss here.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OS2World Common Fund 2014 - Open for Proposals
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »
...and by the way, the OS2World Common Fund is open for more donations:

http://www.os2world.com/bounty-system/....
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:42 pm »
I've already messaged you on the IRC that Pavel Shtemenko is able to make FreeBSD drivers work on OS/2, like network interface controller drivers and video drivers.
Also a useful "device loop" feature may be implemented -- a way to mount a file as a storage device, that may be used by usual mechanisms like IFS and NetDrive -- very useful in virtualization task.
I don't know if the current fund is enough for these tasks, you'd better talk to him. SNAP resurrection is really needed, and may be achieved (ati, matrox and intel video drivers have gone opensource).

Also I need to state that Qt5 port is needed, as is JDK (better Sun) 1.7.
Qt5 will open the door to the modern software (also qtwebkit) and development tools.
OpenJDK 1.7 will make all the JetBrains IDEs run on OS/2 (all of them is written in Java). Read more @ http://jetbrains.com
These ports may be done by bww GmbH

Also, personally, I would like a Node.js and a bitcoin port. I think Node.js port may be done by bww GmbH and bitcoin may be done by Paul.

And, of course, the dream of all of us is GIMP. Paul Smedley has once started to work on an odinized GTK+.
My personal wish again -- RawTherapee
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:48:12 pm by Boris »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:45 am »
Hi All

I've already messaged you on the IRC that Pavel Shtemenko is able to make FreeBSD drivers work on OS/2, like network interface controller drivers and video drivers.

Having a laptop with *no* connectivity - no wired or wireless nic driver - the above gets my vote if it includes a driver for the Dell 1510 Wireless-N device. This is actually a Broadcom device, I think it is part of the BCM43xx series which seem to be fitted to quite a lot of laptops as an alternative to Intel devices.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Mensys have a license to develop SNAP.

Regards

Pete

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:15:49 am »
Martin,
You already did a drivers poll, why not do a poll for this? First ask for a list of suggestions, then use that list for a poll.
Personally, as Boris mentioned, an update QT5, update of JAVA would keep current software available. Then again, software is no use when we cant run the OS on modern hardware.An updated SNAP would be great, but then again, panorama works ok on most systems (not on mine). WLAN drivers are important. USB 3, UEFI (for the time legacy support will be dropped by HW manufactures) are interesting too. I would like to see a Skype compatible application with if possible webcam support too.
Problem with QT5 and JAVA is that dmik is just one man. And firefox isn't ready yet) Beta 2 works well sofar)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:57:10 pm »
Please notice that this is not a competition, the OS2World Board will take the final decision based on what information and proposals can I get from this discussions. Also, we may have some development priorities for the community, but we need to choose a project that has possibilities to became a reality with a developer(s) involved.

Thanks for the ideas, I have them listed here:

- Port network FreeBSD driver to OS/2 - Pavel Shtemenko - Not contacted about this.
- Port video FreeBSD driver to OS/2 - Pavel Shtemenko - Not contacted about this.
- Qt 5 Port update - Bitwise works - Not contacted about this.
- OpenJDK 1.7 Update - Bitwise works - Not contacted about this.
- USB 3 - Lars Erdmann - Not contacted about this.
- Node.js port - No developer
- Bitcon port - No developer
- Broadcom Wifi BCM43xx series driver - No developer
- UEFI - No Developer

This are ideas, no proposals yet. A proposal is that a developer had discussed the idea and considers that the "OS2World Common Fund" will benefit them to have progress in a goal.

I need a little bit more discussed ideas and with the developer involved, and knowing that the developer wants to do it and that to common fund will actually help him to deliver the goal.

1) Please try to contact the developer and let me/us know if he really have interest.

2) On the Bitwise software, Silvan told me that he have interest to start SWT Eclipse port to OS/2-eCS with the help of this common fund. But this money can also be used instead to put priority on OpenJDK or Qt5 updates. I prefer to use the money to kickstart new project, but I will like to open more discussion about this. It is better to kickstart SWT/Eclipse port, or to update OpenJDK and Qt ? or possible make separate efforts to raise money for OpenJDK and Qt updates (which I will support for sure). ?

Regards
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:03:07 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:26:17 pm »
Sorry to ignore the Skype idea. There is no open source clone of skype and skype protocol is complete private. A skype or a software that connects to skype without paying the royalties is not possible (AFAIK). Other VideoConference software may be interesting, but we require developers willing to do it.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:14 pm »
If we can get webcam support fully working then there are alternatives to Skype... probably the most promising is WebRTC (now part of HTML5). I'm aware of two or three different WebRTC+WebM teleconferencing systems either already available or under development.

There's also Google Hangouts, which works with Flash (which we do have) plus the aforementioned webcam support.

And I suppose it's possible that Skype under Odin might be a theoretical possibility, with some dedicated development at least.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 12:02:19 am »
Hi Alex

Having just got the Acer Crystal Eye webcam working in my Acer Travelmate 5320 laptop I suspect other usb attached webcams can be made to work - with a little help from USB 2.0 Extended Control Driver for OS/2 (and eComStation) and the author, Wim Brul.

Download the USB 2.0 Extended Control Driver for OS/2 (and eComStation) from http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbprobe/index.html
Unzip into a directory and follow the instructions in the docs to install the driver correctly.

The problem then is that unless your webcam is one of those of this page http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbvideo/index.html there is no software to use with your webcam.

I emailed Wim asking about software and he kindly built the necessary software, basic but working. He needed the log obtained by running USBDock with the /bin parameter.

So, a big THANK YOU to Wim for the USB 2.0 Extended Control Driver for OS/2 (and eComStation) and his invaluable help.

Regards

Pete

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »
- UEFI - No Developer

The only way to implement UEFI support is to rewrite the whole booting process AFAIR.
And the only opportunity is the Phoenix team -- Mensys does not have enough resources to implement this, and there are a lot of enhancements in OS/4 kernel source code making developing new features much easier.

But that seems to conflict with the
OS2World will only sponsor projects that are open source, free software and/or that the results and code will be public to the OS/2 community
rule.

I've just talked to Pavel Shtemenko and the situation is undefined. Due to the situation in Ukraine, he is not sure if he can accept the offer this month, but he will be sure (yes or no) in March, and if yes, he will have enough time to do the work.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:01:38 pm by Boris »

dbanet

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »
I'm pretty sure that no one but me needs Node.js for OS/2, but I contacted bww bitwise works GmbH and they're able to make a full port of Node.js, and the money raised by OS/2 World is enough to complete it, fully.. Misunderstanding.

So,
- Node.js port - No developer
statement should be changed to
- Node.js port - Bitwise works - Contacted about this.
. :D

;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:52:37 pm by Boris »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »
Hi Boris.

Can you explain a little more about why a Node.js port will be interesting. I had been reading about it, but I still need to know what is the potencial for this platform. For example, which applications we will be able to run on the platform.

I understand that Node.js (http://nodejs.org/) is a platform to build network applications, but which will be the relevant applications that can be ported once we have Node.js under OS2-eCS?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »
I doubt Node.js will be interesting for somebody but me, but if you ask, here are some answers to your questions.

This is a JS interpreter with some extensions, so treat it like a "different PHP", so you will be able to run all scripts (without the neediness to port it) on OS/2.
Examples of using Node.js https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Projects,-Applications,-and-Companies-Using-Node

It is intended to work as a server, but there is also a node-webkit framework, which allows to build desktop applications with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit/wiki/List-of-apps-and-companies-using-node-webkit

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:08 pm »
Hi. I was checking one desktop application that was built with Node.js and node-webkit framework, which was very interesting for playing movies. That made me wonder if Node.js will be a good idea under this platform but with the node-webkit framework to have more desktop apps.

I'm checking the list: https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit/wiki/List-of-apps-and-companies-using-node-webkit
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 05:29:14 pm »
Martin, Node.js is also a requirement for Twister the decentralized P2P open-source analogue of Twitter.