OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Installing VisualAge C++ 3.0 on ArcaOS 5.1.0

(1/4) > >>

Robert Roland:
I'm having trouble getting VisualAge C++ 3.0 installed properly on ArcaOS 5.1.0 -

I have a clean Arca install, and I finished phase 1 of the VA install, and on reboot I'm stuck at a blue screen with a wait cursor. PMShell never loads. Window List is empty, and I can't seem to get to PMShell or anything.

The config.sys changes look innocuous - so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Has anyone seen this yet?

edit: after a few minutes, I hit "Shift" and got the ArcaOS Desktop Panic screen, telling it to skip startup, and skip desktop archiving didn't help.

Dave Yeo:
It's been a while. Make sure the references to VAC are at the end of LIBPATH and PATH and same with SOMIR and SOMBASE. You really need to apply the fixes to bring it up to 3.08 as well. Might be forgetting something and IIRC, the LIBPATH is the most important as VAC downgrades things WPS related.
Personally, I just used a cmd file to set up the environment, ran in a cmd window, attached.

Robert Roland:
Okay awesome, thank you, after moving IBMCPP to the end of my LIBPATH and SOM.IR paths, I get a desktop!

Now to figure out why XCenter disappeared :)

Lars:
1) it is very advisable to not install the toolkit that comes with VAC but to install the latest toolkit that can be installed from various places: YUM/RPM, from eCS media, from AN media (?)
2) that said, you should remove anything VAC related from libpath that has to do with the toolkit that comes with VAC. You do however need to keep those parts that point to DLLs that VAC needs to operate. And these parts have to go to the end
3) make sure that for INCLUDE env var, all VAC paths go to the end
4) make sure that for the LIB env var, all VAC paths go to the end
5) you should not put anything on SOMIR that relates to any VAC path, see 1) as it relates to it
6) you should make SOMBASE point to the latest toolkit installation, see 1) as it relates to it

Martin Iturbide:
Hello

Sorry to add different question.

I always have the idea that comparing between "IBM VisualAge C++ 3.0 (1995)" and "IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5", it is better to get "IBM C and C++ Compilers, Version 3.6.5" because it is the same compiler but newer/updated. Am I right on this?  Is there any specific feature that the "IBM C and C++ Compilers" is missing compared to "IBM VisualAge C++ 3.0"?

Sorry again to use this thread for my question, I never installed "IBM VisualAge C++ 3.0".

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version