Author Topic: XWP v1.0.16  (Read 35665 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: XWP v1.0.16
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2024, 11:59:37 am »
This sub-thread is yet another good reason to use XWP-Lite/ANXWP: it comes preconfigured.

In XWP-Full, you need to check "XWorkplace Installation->XWorkplace Setup->Features->Mouse and Keyboard features->Enable global object hotkeys"

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2024, 02:10:28 pm »
This sub-thread is yet another good reason to use XWP-Lite/ANXWP: it comes preconfigured.

In XWP-Full, you need to check "XWorkplace Installation->XWorkplace Setup->Features->Mouse and Keyboard features->Enable global object hotkeys"

Thanks Rich. That was what I needed. XWP full does not enable by default the "Enable global object hotkeys". Now the hotkeys works fine.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2024, 02:48:19 pm »
I do not have Dynamic Icons installed as, quite simply, it is broken.

How, exactly, is it broken (vs. merely deficient)? I've been using it for 6+ years and it WFM. There's a new version awaiting release that fixes most of the problems I found and uses a lot less memory. Hopefully it will work for you.

Errmm.. A reply from yourself in the Bigicons discussion

In this case, the problem is not operator error or a bad install - it's just broken. I can reliably lock up my system by using D&D to copy a program object to a folder that's open in Icon view. You might think that I would have noticed this before but I use Xview almost exclusively and only have 2 folders that use Icon view (one of them being the Desktop).

Looking forward to trying the new release in the near future.

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2024, 07:19:40 pm »
XWP full does not enable by default the "Enable global object hotkeys".

I made the mistake of assuming it did, and that the settings on the Icon page would be disabled if the feature were disabled - neither of which was true. I've now fixed both.

In doing so, I found a bigger issue: XWP-Full starts with fewer features enabled than XWP-Lite/ANXWP. Since nothing in Lite is risky/experimental/controversial, I can't see any reason why Full shouldn't default to the same feature set as Lite. In the next version (1.0.17), it will. All the checkboxes will remain, only the ones that are checked by default will change.

BTW... this only affects new installations - upgrades will use your existing settings and shouldn't change anything.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2024, 08:40:25 pm »
Hi Rich

The joy of the full version is (used to be?) that it starts with no features enabled and the user selects what they want.

I guess in future the user will simply have to select what they want and deselect anything they do not want...

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2024, 01:36:16 am »
Hello

I created this ticket, about enhancing XWPKeyboard Mappings.

http://trac.netlabs.org/xworkplace/ticket/11

I think it can be interesting to grab the idea of "Folder Hotkeys" and put it on "Mappings" so different combination of keys can be assigned to some desktop actions (parameters).
But I guess it will be more interesting if more "desktop actions" can be added to XWP there, like the ones in "Windows Keys" like "Hide/show all windows", "Show windows list", "Lock up desktop", etc. 

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Today at 12:52:50 am »
Rich,

New feature request: would you consider implementing BLDLEVEL file object pop-up functionality?

What I'm envisioning is the ability to right click on a DLL, or any object that does contain the BLDLEVEL information, and have this stuff either pop-up directly under some sort of 'Version' or 'BldLevel' menu entry, or perhaps another place such as under 'Properties'???

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #82 on: Today at 01:16:53 am »
Hello Dariusz

I think that XWPProgramFile Class (or is it some other WPS Class?) has already something implemented (See picture) on the "Module" tab. But I have no idea how to have the same information for DLLs files.
What it would be great too, it to have a way to Ctrl+C that information.

Regards
« Last Edit: Today at 01:24:44 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #83 on: Today at 01:41:56 am »
But I have no idea how to have the same information for DLLs files.
I was able to also have the "Module" tab on the DLLs by using Rich's improved OO and the procedure from this forum thread.
I changed all the DLLs on C:\OS2\DLL to XWPProgramFile

Regards
« Last Edit: Today at 01:50:51 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Today at 02:32:53 am »
Hello Martin,

...I think that XWPProgramFile Class (or is it some other WPS Class?) has already something implemented (See picture) on the "Module" tab. But I have no idea how to have the same information for DLLs files...

Hmm...so for some reason I do not see this being populated for some EXEs, such as the NewView.exe, where at CLI there certainly is BLDLEVEL info showing.

DLL wise, turns out that not all DLLs are classified as XWPProgramFile object, which is perhaps why so it happened that the DLLs I was looking at showed no such Module tab.

So at a follow-up, two actually, I'm curious:
1) DLL object type conversion
- reading that other thread you shared, it seems like this was a manual process that needed to be done for every new DLL, is that correct?

2) re: XWP NEW Feature request: now that I understand what's already there (or should be there), I would like to just stick to the menu selection which would simply show that BLDLEVEL info in it's own pop-up

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #85 on: Today at 02:37:43 am »
Hi
1) DLL object type conversion
- reading that other thread you shared, it seems like this was a manual process that needed to be done for every new DLL, is that correct?
I did the manual process of converting the DLLs from "WPDataFile" to "XWPProgramFile" using Rich's newer OO and creating a CMD according to his suggestion. The .CMD only works for directories, maybe some more tweaking can be done in REXX to create something that change all files in subfolders.

DLL2Prog.CMD
------------------
oo /+
for %%1 in (*.dll) do oo /B %%1 XWPProgramFile
oo /-
------------------
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Today at 06:34:16 pm »
I would like to just stick to the menu selection which would simply show that BLDLEVEL info in it's own pop-up

Why wait for someone to implement a feature that you can have _now_?

Open Properties for \os2\bldlevel.exe, and on the 'Session' page uncheck "Close window on exit". Then on the 'Association' page, add "*.DLL" and "*.EXE". Done! When you need this info, select 'Open as', then 'bldlevel.exe'.

FWIW... on my system, any info I may need about a binary is immediately at hand because I have associated 6 different utils with *.exe and *.dll. Some of these associations are program objects while others point at the exe itself:
unlock.exe
exehdr.exe
exeinfo.exe
pmdll.exe
hexedit2.exe
bldlevel.exe

Warning: you can *not* copy/paste from a VIO window whose app has terminated - it's instant death. If you need this ability, associate a simple .cmd file like this and leave "Close window on exit" checked:

-----bldlvl.cmd-----
@bldlevel %1
@pause
------------------------