Author Topic: DOS VDM: WordStar-for-DOS 7c ("WS") and Borland Quattro Pro ("QP")  (Read 24319 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: DOS VDM: WordStar-for-DOS 7c ("WS") and Borland Quattro Pro ("QP")
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 05:21:19 pm »
I just tried to look up the ThinkCentre M900 Tiny and Lenovo has it as 'Withdrawn' which usually means there have been problems with manufacture which could explain the problems you are having.

Maybe I'm biased but I always avoid anything with an Intel processor, for me it has been AMD all the way since the advent of their 486.  I have set up a couple of friends with Beelink mini units and If I didn't have all my computers I would get one for myself.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2023, 05:24:40 pm »
a) If I click on Quattro Pro's icon, it starts up normally in a full-screen DOS session.  But trying to open the "Icon" page in its Properties still freezes the system and it's CAD Time.

While there may be an issue with QP's icon, I'd suggest trying something else first.

In 'c:\os2\install' you'll find a file named 'database.txt'. Rename it. This is a listing of known DOS & Win3 apps along with the specialized DOS/WinOS2 session settings for each. When you create a new program object for one of these apps, the system automatically imports the associated settings (or at least, it used to). In the past this was known to cause problems sometimes, so it's best to eliminate it as a suspect (you can always open it in Text Editor and manually apply these settings - both WS and QP are listed).

Trash Can's Properties do not seem to offer any way to change the icon.  Is this a Sinister Indicator?

Unlike other folders, Trash Can's icons show Empty/Full rather than Closed/Open. I guess the original author didn't want you screwing up his handiwork.

d)  How do I configure the Drives to open in icon mode by clicking on them, not on the "Open As..." menu option?  Believe me, I have searched for a setting that stays put.

In addition to the Menu page in its notebook (which has been there since 1992), there's also what may be XWP's single-best enhancement: Select 'Open as', then shift-click on the view you want as the default. Drive objects can be "difficult" and may require you to do this twice.

And Drive names also seem immune to the normal name-changing procedures (such as that page in Properties).

Drive objects are recreated at each restart and assigned a name formulaically. You can select a different "formula" by opening the Drives' notebook to the misnamed 'Drive icons' page and selecting one of the alternatives. All changes are live, so have the Drives folder open to see the effects.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2023, 08:49:01 pm »
Hi Ivan

I just tried to look up the ThinkCentre M900 Tiny and Lenovo has it as 'Withdrawn' which usually means there have been problems with manufacture which could explain the problems you are having.

For  what I had seen "'Withdrawn" means that is not longer for sale or since it was released long ago it no longer has support (parts, warranty, newer drivers, firmware updates, etc). It does not means it had problems or defects.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2023, 11:21:58 pm »
I suggest that you post the entire testlog. It has other interesting information.
I'm probably doing something wrong because the file containing that quote was HUGE.  I hesitate to impose it on this Forum.  "Attachments and other options", below the entry-posting window, looks simple enough but I need to be sure you get the wanted file. There are a lot to choose from.  And I'm posting via my Windows 10 laptop, not my AOS Machine; juggling them gets messy, involving unreliable USB sticks.  (&c)   :(  Can you be more specific, please?  Like in those old fairy tales, be careful what you wish for.   :-\

(Last moment reply:)  Martin, thanks for the Lenovo URL.  I'm not sure which of those is closest to mine.

There are many of those things. The ONLY way to know, exactly, what you have, is by using TESLOG, for that specific machine. Anything else leaves us wondering what it is.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2023, 11:57:04 pm »
I suggest that you post the entire testlog. It has other interesting information.

Ahem, it also contains your real name, registration number with AN and email address, all in plain text.
So it seems advisable to delete that personal information before you post your testlog output on this public forum!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 01:23:59 am »
Hi Ivan

For  what I had seen "'Withdrawn" means that is not longer for sale or since it was released long ago it no longer has support (parts, warranty, newer drivers, firmware updates, etc). It does not means it had problems or defects.

Regards

I'm now using a M910S, which I believe was the replacement for the 900 series and also withdrawn due to age, it's from 2018. It's very OS/2, or rather AOS compatible, even has 3.41 GB of available memory.

SoundChaser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2023, 12:49:48 am »
Andrew, should the migration route to OpenOffice doesn't go smoothly and you need to bring the WS files to a newer format, you might want to consider converting them to WordPerfect format first. That format is well converted iirc.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2023, 05:15:56 pm »
Hi Andrew

Not sure what you have done to cause booting problems... The only thing you seem to be admitting to is renaming database.txt - which should not cause these problems.

When booted to the Maintenance partition can you access files on the usual boot drive without problems?

In case of a): I suggest you use the install option to Update/Upgrade existing installation as that should re-install to existing locations.

Regards

Pete

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2023, 07:32:36 pm »
Hi Andrew

For b) My experience with importing PDF files into OO is it is best avoided as OO cannot open PDF files and tends to mangle them when doing an import as text. Your best option would be if WS and QP can export in M$ format ie DOC and XLS otherwise I think you are stuck with RTF as export format.

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 07:37:27 pm by Pete »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2023, 02:01:26 am »
Hi Andrew

Picking up on this "... so I have yet to know the joy of the installation process." and I seem to recall you are UK based so some Install bootup tips:-

Make sure system BIOS is set to boot from whichever install media (DVD/USB Flash)

At 1st menu: select Boot from install media

Next Menu: Select to start installer using own settings (similar wording) which will allow you to select UK keyboard amongst  other tweaks

Once installer has started accept License and somewhere towards the bottom of the next page in Installation Type you select to Update/Upgrade which should reinstall to existing drives/paths.

You should read through [Install Media]:\ArcaOS50_UpdaterSupplementaryGuide.pdf *before* starting

If the Update/Upgrade option does not appear you may have to try and trick the installer by editing the installed [Boot Drive]:\sys\install\install.flg (text file) to show an earlier release eg:- copy install.flg to install.flg.ORG (in case of mishaps) then edit install.flg changing ArcaOS 5.1.0 EN to ArcaOS 5.0.7 EN, Save and Exit. Now the installer should find a 5.0.7 installation to Update/Upgrade - hopefully...

I have only tried 1 Update/Upgrade: 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 which went fairly well - may have found a SNAP bug in the process though, have to double check.

Regards

Pete

CalYY

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2023, 09:24:00 pm »
Have you tried Write and Set? An OS/2 version of Wordstar.

http://www.WriteAndSet.com/english/indxf.html

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2023, 09:57:47 pm »
How about this, from http://wordtsar.ca/. Only tested that it runs.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 11:56:32 pm »
Hello Dave

It looks nice. Allow me to upload it to hobbes this way. Let me know if you want to add anything else to the readme.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2023, 12:43:29 am »
Hi Martin, a link to the source, https://sourceforge.net/projects/wordtsar/files/Releases/WordTsar-0.3.719/, a link to wordtsar.ca, a copy of the license (remove the .txt), perhaps a note about it being alpha software.
Edit: missed your zip, the source link should be the above URL, otherwise add the license
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 12:46:30 am by Dave Yeo »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2023, 01:21:04 am »
It's hard to make backup to a FAT32 drive work. The same drive with JFS will be stable.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com