OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Bigicons

(1/23) > >>

David Graser:
I decided to do a test to see how well the new icons are looking.

I copied my new icons to drive:\sys\icons

The new folder name is DGYellowIcons

I changed the bigicons path in the config.sys file to
SET BIGICONS=D:\SYS\ICONS\DGYELLOWICONS

I opened the System Setup folder
Selected the WPShell icon

Selected the last tab for Icon Size

I then selected Use custom icons and and Dynamic setting it to 56, closed and rebooted.

Nothing changed.  The text was still named bigicons.txt.  I then changed it to dgyellowicons.txt, rebooted and still no change.  I was wonder if this feature was ever tested.  I also rename my dgyellowicons folder to bigicons to see if that helped which it did not.

Rich, any ideas?  There are now over 400 :png icons and with lots more to do.

Note:  There were some items in the txt file I had no clue what they were.  I used the ; to comment them out for now.

I have attached the txt to see if it is the problem.

David Graser:
OK, I tried it on a different partition and this time some of the icons were replaced, but not many.   There must be major problems with that other partition that will require me to reinstall when I have time.  It appears that a lot of program icons were replaced, but none of the folder icons.

Further examination reveals the pro.gram icons are changing except for the ones that are missing or named incorrectly.  Not one folder icon changed. There appears to be a problem with folders changing.

Rich Walsh:

--- Quote from: David Graser on November 27, 2023, 04:44:33 am ---I then selected Use custom icons and and Dynamic setting it to 56, closed and rebooted.
Nothing changed. The text was still named bigicons.txt.

--- End quote ---

The filename must not be changed.

--- Quote ---I was wonder if this feature was ever tested.

--- End quote ---

Yes, both at the time of its inclusion in AOS 5.0, and within the last week in response to your postings. WFM.

I replaced my copy of 'bigicons.txt' with yours, then restarted the WPS. Entries that you hadn't changed, such as folders, font palette, and color palette, all came up with the appropriate PNG icon.

It occurs to me that you had previously been replacing icons manually on an object-by-object basis. Doing so would override any changes you've made to the defaults. Have you tried pressing the "Reset icon" button that's displayed when 'png' is selected? Also, the "Browse" button should bring up a file selection dialog that points at the currently active 'bigicons' directory. Does it point at the correct directory?

If problems persist, perhaps you could post a representative sample of your icons (10-20) for objects I'm likely to have, such as stuff in System Setup. This would let me do more comprehensive testing.

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Rich Walsh on November 27, 2023, 06:12:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: David Graser on November 27, 2023, 04:44:33 am ---I then selected Use custom icons and and Dynamic setting it to 56, closed and rebooted.
Nothing changed. The text was still named bigicons.txt.

--- End quote ---

The filename must not be changed.

--- Quote ---I was wonder if this feature was ever tested.

--- End quote ---

Yes, both at the time of its inclusion in AOS 5.0, and within the last week in response to your postings. WFM.

I replaced my copy of 'bigicons.txt' with yours, then restarted the WPS. Entries that you hadn't changed, such as folders, font palette, and color palette, all came up with the appropriate PNG icon.

It occurs to me that you had previously been replacing icons manually on an object-by-object basis. Doing so would override any changes you've made to the defaults. Have you tried pressing the "Reset icon" button that's displayed when 'png' is selected? Also, the "Browse" button should bring up a file selection dialog that points at the currently active 'bigicons' directory. Does it point at the correct directory?

If problems persist, perhaps you could post a representative sample of your icons (10-20) for objects I'm likely to have, such as stuff in System Setup. This would let me do more comprehensive testing.

--- End quote ---
Hi Rich

I have attached some of the icons including an update bigicons.txt which corrects a lot of the mistakes I made.  I have attached new startup folder icons, network icons. command prompt icons, drive icons, and others.  I also include some folders.  I have yet to get folder icons to update.

Also, a peek the new icons.  This is a work in progress..

David Graser:
As you stated Rich, I needed to open the folder properties and reset each icon.  I guess this is due to the fact that I had individually install all the previous PNG folder icons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version