Author Topic: Bigicons  (Read 55502 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: Bigicons
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2023, 07:04:07 pm »
David, under the [CLASS] heading, the line for WPFolder needs to be updated to point at your icons. Currently, it shows:
    "WPFolder"               "folder.png", "folder-open.png"
It should be:
    "WPFolder"               "folder_closed.png", "folder_open.png"

Also the top lines are mangled. Currently, it shows:
    "templaPOPUPte"         "view-pim-notes.png"
It should be:
    [SYSTEM]
    "template"             "view-pim-notes.png"

Final note: if you don't have a PNG for something, remove its entry. It's just clutter that slows down the lookup process.

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2023, 10:00:14 pm »
Opening the Drives folder results in a system hang, Drives folder status bar shows "Collecting objects...", mouse moves but cannot click on anything, C-A-D works to get me to the option of WPS Reset which only delivers a black screen, [...] only the system box Off button works.
[...]
Rebooted, reset icon size to Normal for Icon View and can now open Drives folder.

Sorry, Pete, this one got lost in the shuffle... My best _guess_ is that something other than one of the Drive objects is causing the problem. "Refresh Removable Media" is a likely suspect. Move it and any other non-drive objects to another folder, close the window, then restart the Desktop and retry.

Before doing any of that, you may want to open the Drives folder's Properties to the 'Include' tab and delete any filters so you can see everything in there (also, do a Sort or Arrange to ensure everything is in view).

Prior to the Drives folder problem I noticed that some folders opened in icon view did not use the icon size 56 but were displayed at Normal size.

I've found a few like that - I don't remember setting these folders to "Normal" but apparently they thought I did. Once you manually set them back to the current default, they'll change when the default changes.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2023, 04:33:14 am »
Hi Rich

Yes, moving  "Refresh Removable Media" to a different folder resolved the Drives problem - but moved the problem to the other folder. So, not really a fix...

I have found several other folders that display icons at Normal size and cause a system hang when setting them to use Dynamic Icons.

After lots of reboots I can suggest a possible cause: Opening the Properties of an object involved in system hangs eg  "Refresh Removable Media" and selecting the Icon tab results in an incomplete display of that page, Current icon image and text missing and yet another system hang - this occurs with icon size set as Normal as well as 56x56 and other sizes.

Seems that something went wrong during install of pngdesk and/or pngicons.

Uninstalled Dynamic Icons, deleted the os2.ini file entry and rebooted, then checked that accessing "Refresh Removable Media" -> Properties -> Icon did not cause any problems, image and text displayed.

Installed Dynamic Icons (again) with the same results as previously.

If Dynamic Icons works without the above problems for other people I can only guess it is something on my system causing the problems. Not sure what to check though...

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 06:06:38 pm »
Opening the Properties of an object involved in system hangs eg  "Refresh Removable Media" and selecting the Icon tab results in an incomplete display of that page, Current icon image and text missing and yet another system hang - this occurs with icon size set as Normal as well as 56x56 and other sizes.
[...]
If Dynamic Icons works without the above problems for other people I can only guess it is something on my system causing the problems. Not sure what to check though...

In this case, the problem is not operator error or a bad install - it's just broken. I can reliably lock up my system by using D&D to copy a program object to a folder that's open in Icon view. You might think that I would have noticed this before but I use Xview almost exclusively and only have 2 folders that use Icon view (one of them being the Desktop).

Since I still have the source code, I added some debugging messages to follow the path it takes coming up with an icon. For program objects, I can only describe it as "extraordinary". I also found out why datafiles don't get the default icon based on their WPS class: it gets that icon then throws it away and tries to find an icon based on name or association.

Another thing I learned: I had actually made multiple updates to Dynamic Icons over the years but totally forgot about them (e.g. getting the Trashcan to show the proper empty/full icon). Senior moment?

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 04:53:35 pm »
Rich

I am just about ready to upload the latest.  I decided to do what you suggested in earlier post.

I made a new directory call BigIconsYellow, moved all the new files to it and then moved the directory to drive:\sys\icons.

I then change the lline in the config.sys to point to the new directory.

SET BIGICONSPATH=E:\sys\icons\BIGICONSYELLOW

and rebooted.  Only a few of the icons changed to the new PNGs.  I rebooted several times with the same result. I then changed it back to the

SET BIGICONS=E:\sys\icons\BIGICONSYELLOW

and all the new icons changed over except for the few I listed in earlier post I had trouble with.  It appears the original path statement in the config.sys is needed for it to work when using a different directory other than BIGICONS   Now the weird part.  I previously has been using original bigicons folder name for all my previous testing.

Conclusion:
Replaced the original icons in the bigicons folder and you can use the SET BIGICONSPATH=
Replace the BIGICONS folder with BIGICONSYELLOOW and you must use the original path statement  SET BIGICONS=

Progress report:
The new release contains many more new icons and folders.  Reworked some of the earlier folders,  More corrections in the bigicons.txt file.  Rearranged the text file.  At least now I can more easily find what I am looking for.  Most system icons and folders are now replaced.  You will be surprised by how many programs are now supported.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 05:34:02 pm by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2023, 04:14:39 am »
There is more to this.  i made a big goof.  I thought the BigIconsYellow had all the icons the bigicons directory had, but it did not.  It was missing quite a few of the icons which would account for my results. I realized this when I deleted the files in my bigicons directory and move all the files from bigiconsyellow directory over to it.  Needless to say, i am now at work trying to recover from this mess..  It looks like I will have to make some of the ionns I lost.  Right at the end, i quite backing up the icons i made thinking i would soon be uploading.  Now I will be delayed by a day or two while i try to recover from the mess i created for myself. Rearranging the bigicons.txt has helped speed up my recovery. It is way more easier to find everything.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 12:38:58 am »
I tried to upload the new zip and it is too large to be accepted.  I don't think it is wise to split the zip into two parts.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2023, 12:47:41 am »
How about using 7z? How big is the zip? Looks like about 7.2 MB limit here

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2023, 02:09:15 am »
Dave, I will look at it later. This has been an adventure.  To me stupidly deleting over 100 of my icons to encountering a limit that had me all day looking for answers.  I found out that the bigicons.txt has a size limit before it destabilizes the entire wpshell.  More on that later.

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2023, 05:25:12 am »
I found out that the bigicons.txt has a size limit before it destabilizes the entire wpshell.

I'd certainly be interested in looking at a copy of 'bigicons.txt' that was too big. I checked for obvious stuff (file buffer too small, memory allocated but not freed, etc) but nothing jumped out at me.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2023, 05:52:15 am »
Attached is a pic of what happens to the desktop. I also attached the new bigicons.txt for you to see. I change the txt to log so it would be accepted.

The upload folder is full and will not allow me to upload the second half of the icons.  If I remember correctly, there is a total of areound 574 icons.

Rich, take the last llne in the  txt file and move it down by hitting the enter key, lets say 9 times, save, and see what happens.

Martin, do you have to do anything so I can finish the upload?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:36:23 am by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2023, 04:38:02 pm »
I showed the ugly side of what can happen.  Here is what the good side looks like..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:06:49 pm by David Graser »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2023, 07:02:00 pm »
Hello

FYI: I reported the but to Arca Noae showing that "SET BIGICONS=<path>" is wrong (default on config.sys) and described the procedure steps on why I think it is wrong.

https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=3571

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2023, 08:39:14 pm »

I started work on the black icon folders.  Here it will be a matter of renaming and creating some new folders.  Still making a change or two to the yellow set.  It is nice to change icons without having to do all individually.

Rich, did you encounter any problems with the bigicons text file if it reaches a certain size.  I had to reduce a lost of the blank lines between groupings to keep destabilization of WPShell from happening?  Will I be able to upload to Hobbes when ready?  I cannot do it here because Martin has set size limitations for uploads?

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2023, 06:29:53 am »
I have almost completed the bigicons black..

It is so simple to change between the folder sets.

In your config.sys, add SET statements for each set.

EX.
rem SET BIGICONSPATH=E:\sys\icons\BIGICONS_YELLOW
rem SET BIGICONSPATH=E:\sys\icons\BIGICONS_RED
SET BIGICONSPATH=E:\sys\icons\BIGICONS_BLACK

You just REM out the statements for the sets that are not being used.  To switch, REM out the one you were using and un REM the one you want to switch to, save, and reboot.  The new set comes up after your reboot.  Continuing to test.  Everything is great so far.