Author Topic: DSSaver and XWP  (Read 18256 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: DSSaver and XWP
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 04:58:05 am »
https://github.com/dryeo/UTIL-WPS-Doodle-Screen-Saver/tree/25pre has my latest commits. Some are likely useless and some are for my environment and also to attempt to quiet problems with line endings.
Edit: I do have the permissions to merge into the main OS2World branch and was going to but it looked like it would go to the master branch so put it off.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 05:04:42 am by Dave Yeo »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 01:53:15 pm »
Hi Dave.

I got this "Issue" from: https://github.com/OS2World/UTIL-WPS-Doodle-Screen-Saver/issues/5
It says to update some russian documentation files from DSSaver from Yurii.

I think there are fine, but I don't know the right location on the repository to locate them.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 05:37:47 pm »
Hi Martin, I will commit them, just waiting to find out how Yurri wants the author set and see if I can make the default in moving text locale friendly.

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 01:52:46 pm »
Another area where DSS does not respect font settings, and uses its own instead, is its secondary dialogs to configure modules. No font settings in *.msg sources, though.

I tried to extract dialog resources and doff the presentation parameters (10.System Proportional, good for designing, seemingly what gets used live) from a couple of DLLs but not to avail. I also see the string "12.System Proportional" in the DLLs, which is not in the resources. Real work with the sources needed. Or I was in too much of a rush ; )

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 04:40:51 pm »
Seems most of the modules have this in their RC files,
Code: [Select]
PRESPARAMS PP_FONTNAMESIZE, "10.System Proportional"
PRESPARAMS PP_USER, "12.System Proportional"

In the password stuff and the configure dialog. Have to play with the Universal Resource Editor (URE).

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2023, 05:54:02 pm »

In the password stuff and the configure dialog. Have to play with the Universal Resource Editor (URE).

This is a job for a text editor, not a dialog editor. If you open the .RC file for each module, you'll find dialog templates like this one: Edit: but you already knew this
    DIALOG "Password protection", DLG_PASSWORDPROTECTION, 85, 62, 160, 45,
                FS_NOBYTEALIGN | FS_DLGBORDER | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_SAVEBITS,
                FCF_TITLEBAR | FCF_SYSMENU | FCF_CLOSEBUTTON
    PRESPARAMS PP_FOREGROUNDCOLORINDEX, CLR_BLACK
    PRESPARAMS PP_USER, "10.System Proportional"
    BEGIN

Just remove the lines for PP_FONTNAMESIZE and PP_USER, save the file, and you're done.

Speaking of done... I'm almost done with the redesign of DSS's Desktop Properties pages. Each one is now a fixed size that fits the default dimensions of a Properties notebook. As a by-product of this effort, I was also able to lop off 1000 lines of code from the source - but it's still a bloated pig at a "mere" 4500 lines. Honestly, I've never seen so much effort expended on so little results. Another 1000-1500 lines could easily disappear and no one would ever notice...

BTW... Dave, could you PM me with your email address so I can send you some stuff?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 06:01:07 pm by Rich Walsh »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2023, 07:22:30 pm »
This is a job for a text editor, not a dialog editor. If you open the .RC file for each module, you'll find dialog templates like this one: Edit: but you already knew this
    DIALOG "Password protection", DLG_PASSWORDPROTECTION, 85, 62, 160, 45,
                FS_NOBYTEALIGN | FS_DLGBORDER | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_SAVEBITS,
                FCF_TITLEBAR | FCF_SYSMENU | FCF_CLOSEBUTTON
    PRESPARAMS PP_FOREGROUNDCOLORINDEX, CLR_BLACK
    PRESPARAMS PP_USER, "10.System Proportional"
    BEGIN

Just remove the lines for PP_FONTNAMESIZE and PP_USER, save the file, and you're done.

Tried commenting those lines out, rc.exe was not happy. What does seem to work is removing the font size, s/10.System Proportional/System Proportional/g.
Have to consider changing the System Proportional to WarpSans as well. There's also buttons that need the same treatment.

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2023, 02:13:19 am »

Tried commenting those lines out, rc.exe was not happy. What does seem to work is removing the font size, s/10.System Proportional/System Proportional/g.
Have to consider changing the System Proportional to WarpSans as well. There's also buttons that need the same treatment.

I'm sorry to be difficult but none of the above is the correct way to handle this.

RC should accept /* */ comments but if it doesn't for some reason, just delete them as suggested (you can always have git revert any change). Further, generating defective entries just to get something kinda-maybe working is not helping your cause. Nor is substituting one hard-coded font for another when the goal of this exercise is to have dialogs comply with the user's choice of font & size.

Without those fonts entries, the dialog will use whatever font & size you've chosen - either because it has  inherited them from the dialog that created it (which is the way it should be), or because Styler has forced them to be system-compliant (turn off Styler's dialog enhancements to check).

Honestly, there's no need for any experimentation here - how this stuff works is fully known. If it doesn't work as it should, hacks and workarounds will only get in the way of finding the _real_ problem.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2023, 03:47:27 am »
OK, seems I screwed up the commenting :) I'll delete all the lines representing fonts in the rc files and test.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2023, 03:53:50 am »
Should the "PRESPARAMS PP_FOREGROUNDCOLORINDEX, CLR_BLACK" lines also be deleted?

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2023, 04:42:11 am »
Should the "PRESPARAMS PP_FOREGROUNDCOLORINDEX, CLR_BLACK" lines also be deleted?

No, that just gives you black text rather than that wierd dark blue IBM liked.

I should be able to send you a late beta of my changes tomorrow. Attached is a screenshot of the rearranged Page 3. It's still big but all the pages fit the system-default notebook size.

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2023, 11:18:52 am »
Exactly, and fonts definitely change in each dialog when getting rid of both. My first try was to just extract the resources and I bumped into a problem with RDC that resulted in an unreadable PP_USER PRESPARAMS line which I kept ;(

Attached is a screenshot of the rearranged Page 3. It's still big but all the pages fit the system-default notebook size.
With this layout, I think the original "Selected module information" groupbox would be even more useful than it was to interpret how the controls inside worked together (especially without a "Description" label for the now displaced MLE).

Also, controls pretty much fill up all available space, so putting all of them in a single groupbox that merely replicates the whole tab page seems unnecessary.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2023, 02:24:42 pm »

What Rich said. However, I generally prefer to use scheme colours instead of fixed colours.  For example, replacing the above with
PRESPARAMS PP_FOREGROUNDCOLORINDEX, SYSCLR_WINDOWTEXT
will result in the current scheme's window-text colour (which is normally black) being used.

Beware, however, that the stupid IBM Dialog Editor will revert it to CLR_BLACK if you use it to edit and save the dialog. :/

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2023, 04:18:55 pm »

What Rich said. However, I generally prefer to use scheme colours instead of fixed colours.  For example, replacing the above with
PRESPARAMS PP_FOREGROUNDCOLORINDEX, SYSCLR_WINDOWTEXT
will result in the current scheme's window-text colour (which is normally black) being used.

OK, I was wondering about the scheme colours. Good to know, though there are 2 places blue is used, configuring Pretty Clock and IFS in Motion. Probably look OK without the blue.
Beware, however, that the stupid IBM Dialog Editor will revert it to CLR_BLACK if you use it to edit and save the dialog. :/

Yes, I've noticed some stupidity with the URE along those lines.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2024, 06:58:52 pm »
Latest screensaver at ftp://dry@ftp.os2voice.org/dssaver_v25_19_02_2024.exe, password your email address.
This has a bunch of various fixes, thanks to Rich for many and Alfredo for help updates and help with the wic.
Hopefully close to done besides more translations.
You may want to adjust the Desktop Properties size to look better, best to do it with the Modules tab open.