Author Topic: How do you transfer your old WPS to eCS 2.2 ?  (Read 20160 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
How do you transfer your old WPS to eCS 2.2 ?
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:25 am »
I was thinking about a new install of my eCS 2.1 system.

So the question is with eCS 2.2 coming out soon, is there a way to transfer your old desktop ?

I think I remember Object Desktop had that ability.

Thanks,

Greggory

dbanet

Re: How do you transfer your old WPS to eCS 2.2 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:09 am »
The installer of eCS 2.2, as of every other OS/2 distribution, has the migration (update) feature which lets you install eCS 2.2 over your previous 2.1 installation without losing your files or WPS desktop classes/objects information and configuration.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:27:54 am »
...has the migration (update) feature ...
And numerous times have been warned not use it. Maybe it works for you satisfactory. But make a good backup before you try it.

Maybe the easier way is to copy over the 2.2 enhancements to you current installation manually. ACPI, OS2AHCI, kernel, USB and ...? Did I forgot something? ;)

dbanet

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 11:39:07 am »
OS/2 always had a nice installer... before eCS.

dbanet

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:47:04 am »
copy ... ACPI, OS2AHCI, kernel, USB and ...? Did I forgot something? ;)
Already :)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:24:03 pm »
You could try ROBOSAVE which is an IBM EWS program.  We use it as part of our backup strategy for when we replace a computer and reinstall OS/2. 

I don't know how it would work with eCS that appears to install differently to a standard WSeB install.  Plus we always install programs on a separate partition from the WSeB install to allow easy updates of the hardware.

dbanet

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:26 pm »
You could try ROBOSAVE which is an IBM EWS program.  We use it as part of our backup strategy for when we replace a computer and reinstall OS/2. 

I don't know how it would work with eCS that appears to install differently to a standard WSeB install.  Plus we always install programs on a separate partition from the WSeB install to allow easy updates of the hardware.

Could you please tell more about the backup strategy you use? I'm interested.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »

RoboSave is extensible by editing and adding to robosave.pro.  I had it even backing up my bookmarks and various other things. The problem with it is that it wants to restore to the same version of OS/2. Not sure how it would interpret eCS.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »

RoboSave is extensible by editing and adding to robosave.pro.  I had it even backing up my bookmarks and various other things. The problem with it is that it wants to restore to the same version of OS/2. Not sure how it would interpret eCS.

The same version (eCS 2.0, 2.1 ... etc) or the same install base ???

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 12:23:04 am »
Hi All

You could try wps2rexx - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/wps2rexx.zip

You use wps2rexx to create rexx scripts of the existing Desktop.

You then need to edit those scripts to remove the Desktop bits installed as standard. If installing to a different boot drive you may also need to edit any boot drive references.

There are a few problems with wps2rexx as it can sometimes "choke" on a desktop folder and fail to complete the rexx scripts.

Be nice if it got updated to work properly as it is the best "copy the Desktop" tool I have bumped into that does not require any software - apart from rexx - in order to recreate an existing Desktop on a different boot drive.

You may want to give it try to see if it works for you.

Regards

Pete

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:44 am »
Hi All

You could try wps2rexx - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/wps2rexx.zip

You use wps2rexx to create rexx scripts of the existing Desktop.......

Regards

Pete

Ill check it out Pete thanks !

Update - I tried RoboSave and got a lot of errors, UPDATE: works on new install and on my original backup system. And I also tried copying the archive directory over to the new install, but that didn't work either.

I'm going to keep trying with the archive method for a while, any tips ! I have a license for Object Desktop, so I'm going to re-install that next. Ill post everything to my website as soon as I get it working. I'm pretty sure OD will do the job.

Greggory
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:57:49 am by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 06:08:29 am »

The same version (eCS 2.0, 2.1 ... etc) or the same install base ???

Same version and probably consider eCS 2.0 and 2.1 to be the same, it was written before eCS.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 08:03:26 pm »

Could you please tell more about the backup strategy you use? I'm interested.

I will dig out our notes on Monday when I am back in the office and type them up with the reasons for what we do then post them.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 06:28:45 am »
I mostly use my own tool that I wrote. I use it to create REXX scripts to regenerate various individual folder trees; I've never tried it on the entire desktop at once, but it might work.

I never released it publicly before, as it's got significant limitations. It mostly depends on WPTools.DLL to query object properties, and WPTools so far hasn't been updated to recognize certain late additions to WPS setup string syntax. I was meaning to try and tackle that, but I never got around to it. Right now I don't even remember what features are missing, although next time I do a restore I'll probably rediscover them :P.

The source is in the VXApps repository on NetLabs, and I just put a current (very much alpha, not properly tested) build here. It's pretty simple: just drag and drop a WPS folder into the window and it'll generate an object tree of all its contents. You can then export the results to a REXX script or a couple of installer-specific formats which I've never really tested.

If you want it to save custom object icons then you need Rich Walsh's OO.EXE installed somewhere (eCS has included this program for years). I just added this feature to the latest version and it hasn't been tested extensively. If you don't have OO, then the program should still work but custom abstract object icons won't be saved.

Provided mainly for the curious and the daring. Absolutely no warranty!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:30:32 am by Alex Taylor »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »
> I never released it publicly before, as it's got significant limitations.

Could you be more specific?  objtools.exe and its REXX export facility looks as if it works well.

An option that I added to my own REXX tool to restore objects, is to replace paths. That would allow to recreate objects even if the program path has changed. That's a powerful option.

Why don't you release it now?

Andreas