Author Topic: Updated Samba Client  (Read 77615 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
Re: Updated Samba Client
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2024, 03:22:17 pm »
Paul,

Well, it's back. After using the share for about 20 minutes, it stops working - WPS shows 0 files and directories on the share and the command line shows:

[N:\]dir

The volume label in drive N is NETDRIVE.
Directory of N:\

SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
All available memory is in use.

Mem/v on the client shows:

[C:\]mem /v

Total physical memory:     16,270 MB
Accessible to system:       3,222 MB
Additional (PAE) memory:   13,048 MB

Resident memory:              153 MB
Available virtual memory:   3,596 MB

Available process memory:
  Private low memory:         326 MB
  Private high memory:      2,173 MB
  Shared low memory:          231 MB
  Shared high memory:       1,199 MB

Mem/v on the server shows:

[C:\]mem /v

Total physical memory:     16,270 MB
Accessible to system:       3,222 MB
Additional (PAE) memory:   13,048 MB

Resident memory:              180 MB
Available virtual memory:   2,948 MB

Available process memory:
  Private low memory:         355 MB
  Private high memory:      2,058 MB
  Shared low memory:          235 MB
  Shared high memory:       1,386 MB

Not clear why the client thinks there is no memory?

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2024, 09:46:24 pm »
Interesting. WHen this happens, does the server still accept connections from other machines? Does closing and restarting ndctl.exe resolve the issues on the client? Any TRPs on the server?

Most of my testing has been to a share which is a subdir (ie u:/share) vis a full drive - are you able to check if this makes any difference?

I'll try harder to reproduce later,  but I have a full day of lounge/hallway painting ahead of me today.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2024, 01:41:18 am »
Paul,

Good questions..did some testing-

I tried using a Windows machine (this is with the updated smbd.exe on the server) when the OS/2 machine showed '0 files' and Windows worked! Windows works fairly good with the 4.18 server on OS/2 with the new smbd.exe (maybe a little slower than the 4.11 server) - both when sharing the root of the drive and a subdirectory.

Yes, when I restart NDCTL after I get the '0 files' condition on OS/2, it starts to work again. For awhile... There are no traps on the server and don't need to restart it.

I tried sharing only one folder on my share drive (not the root), and I have yet to get the '0 files' condition on OS/2. Been at least an hour now and still good... except:

There is one folder I cannot browse on the OS2 client. It has about 2500 files and 6 directories in it. It worked with the 4.11 server (took awhile to populate), but I end up with a '0 files' condition (takes about 90 seconds while the WPS is blocked) with 4.18. Command line doesn't work either, I get this message:

[N:\os2]dir

Directory of N:\os2

SYS0318: Message file OSO001.MSG cannot be found for message  0109.

Get the same on this folder if I share the root too. Windows can read this folder either way, though it is rather slow dispaying it.

Regards,
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 01:43:46 am by David McKenna »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2024, 02:07:39 am »
David and Paul,

...I tried using a Windows machine (this is with the updated smbd.exe on the server) when the OS/2 machine showed '0 files' and Windows worked! Windows works fairly good with the 4.18 server on OS/2 with the new smbd.exe (maybe a little slower than the 4.11 server) - both when sharing the root of the drive and a subdirectory.

Yes, when I restart NDCTL after I get the '0 files' condition on OS/2, it starts to work again. For awhile... There are no traps on the server and don't need to restart it...

This may be a VERY remote possibility, but for quite some time I've had a similar issue with my NetDrive install here.

Basically everything works fantastic, until it doesn't! The symptoms are exactly what you describe: the share connection still shows up in NetDrive, but attempting to query any of the share's contents fails and most often simply produces the '0 files' message. For me that typically manifested itself as WPS folders that were simply empty when I would open them up.

Given that we really didn't have anyone around to troubleshoot the NetDrive problem I took to writing some REXX stuff to periodically check that the NAS share is still "accessible". When it no longer is, I simply bounce NDCTL and things come right back up.

Weird...I have this scheduled through cron here, runs every 15 mins and AFAIK I never experience the annoying "grrrh, NetDrive is down again" feeling.

Like I said above, very REMOTE possibility, but the symptoms are precisely what I'm seeing here, so while the new samba release may not be the absolutely root cause of what you're seeing, it may somehow be contributing to NetDrive failing???

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2024, 02:24:19 am »
Hey Dariusz,

What server and version is the NAS running? I have only seen the '0 files' issue on OS/2 SAMBA server versions after 4.11 (which does not do it) (Paul's 4.13, 4.15, and now 4.18 all do it when serving a root directory). Seems like there is something in the OS/2 client that triggers this phenomenon, because Windows clients don't do it...

Regards,

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2024, 02:36:35 am »
...What server and version is the NAS running?...

Don't know off the top of my head, will telnet into the NAS box a bit later to see if I can get something from the LOGs (old ZyXel NSA425 box).

I do use the 4.11.12 client on our OS/2 side though.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2024, 07:35:39 am »
  Good questions..did some testing-

I tried using a Windows machine (this is with the updated smbd.exe on the server) when the OS/2 machine showed '0 files' and Windows worked! Windows works fairly good with the 4.18 server on OS/2 with the new smbd.exe (maybe a little slower than the 4.11 server) - both when sharing the root of the drive and a subdirectory.

Yes, when I restart NDCTL after I get the '0 files' condition on OS/2, it starts to work again. For awhile... There are no traps on the server and don't need to restart it.

I tried sharing only one folder on my share drive (not the root), and I have yet to get the '0 files' condition on OS/2. Been at least an hour now and still good... except:

There is one folder I cannot browse on the OS2 client. It has about 2500 files and 6 directories in it. It worked with the 4.11 server (took awhile to populate), but I end up with a '0 files' condition (takes about 90 seconds while the WPS is blocked) with 4.18. Command line doesn't work either, I get this message:

[N:\os2]dir

Directory of N:\os2

SYS0318: Message file OSO001.MSG cannot be found for message  0109.

Get the same on this folder if I share the root too. Windows can read this folder either way, though it is rather slow dispaying it.

OK interesting. Now that we've narrowed down that the client issue only occurs when sharing the whole drive it gives me some clues. I suspect it relates to the previous issue where the trailing /  is being removed if it isn't the 1st characted. This makes sense on linux if the share is /website/ but not on OS/2 where we mght want to share c:/

For the folder N:\os2 it would be interesting to see client logs. Maybe there is a bug with a folder with lots of files?

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2024, 09:27:53 am »
Does https://smedley.id.au/tmp/smbd-4.18.9-20240102.zip work any better for shares of a whole drive? We're no longer stripping off the trailing slash on shares that are a whole drive.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2024, 12:37:56 pm »
Paul,

No improvement with this one unfortunately (not any worse either). I set my smb.conf on my client to:

[global]
   workgroup = IBMPEERS
   loglevel = 2
   client min protocol = NT1
   log file = C:\MPTN\ETC\samba\log\log.smbd.%U.%M

and restarted ndctl, but I am not getting any logs. How do I set up logging on the client side?

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2024, 10:11:05 pm »
HI Dave,
  No improvement with this one unfortunately (not any worse either). I set my smb.conf on my client to:

[global]
   workgroup = IBMPEERS
   loglevel = 2
   client min protocol = NT1
   log file = C:\MPTN\ETC\samba\log\log.smbd.%U.%M

and restarted ndctl, but I am not getting any logs. How do I set up logging on the client side?

Create an empty file in the root of the drive where you have Netdrive installed,  called 'ndpsmb.dbg' then restart the daemon. You should end up with a ndpsmb.log  in x:\var\log\ndpsmb.log IIRC.

To be clear - I didn't  expect the updated daemon to help display the folder that won't show on the client - I was more curious if it helped  with the 'out of memory' errors after a period of browsing.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2024, 10:44:49 pm »
Paul,

Yes, I meant that I still get the 'out of memory' problem when sharing the root of a drive with that new build of smbd.exe...

Attached is the log I got when I started ndctl, then tried to navigate to the folder that doesn't display via WPS on the shared drive, then by command line, then shut down ndctl.

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2024, 02:13:47 am »
Hi Dave,

Bummer that you still get the 'out of memory' error :( I wish it was easier  to reproduce -  I tried for a while this morning with an OS/2 client and the 4.18 server. It may be worth trying to get a smbd log  with -d 8 and a matching client log - and trying to pinpoint the exact time the error occurs.

Re:  the 2nd problem with the folder that doesn't display, is it just the 'software\os2' folder that doesn't display?

The log seems to stop at  2024/01/02 16:38:27.17: 9 2: NdpFindStart <software\os2\OSO001.MSG> (\software\os2\OSO001.MSG) cnt 0 109

Is \software\os2\OSO001.MSG a valid file? Can you try with EA Support disabled on the share? I wonder if there is a corrupt EA that we can't read -  hence Windows doesn't show the issue  as it doesn't support EAs?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2024, 02:42:34 am »
Check DPATH as well, software\os2\OSO001.MSG should be x:\os2\system\OSO001.msg, at least that is where it is on my system with X:\os2\system on the DPATH

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2024, 02:52:16 am »
Check DPATH as well, software\os2\OSO001.MSG should be x:\os2\system\OSO001.msg, at least that is where it is on my system with X:\os2\system on the DPATH

In this case, I think Dave (the other Dave) may have a backup copy of os2\* in his Samba Server....

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2024, 04:03:01 am »
Guys,

C:\OS2\SYSTEM is on the DPath and OSO001.MSG exists there. It is indeed just the \software\os2 folder that does not display. I have 'Supports EAs' turned off in the ndctl program (always do), so it should ignore EA's - does the plugin honor that (it is not in smb.conf - I'll add it)? I can also clean EA's in that directory on the server.

That last line is the last thing I did before collecting the log: Did a 'dir' on the N:\software\os2 directory from the command line, and got the 'SYS0318: Message file OSO001.MSG cannot be found for message  0109.' message. That the log says 'software\os2\OSO001.MSG' is kinda bizarre - that file is not in that directory.

Regards,