OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

Merge two JFS volumes

(1/4) > >>

Doug Bissett:
I am using the JFS that comes with eCS 2.1. I have two volumes: V: which is roughly 50 GB, and W: which is roughly 200 GB. Both are type 35 (not bootable). There is enough room on W: for everything that is on V:. I wish to move everything to W: (do I have to do that?), then merge V: with W: (which I think can be done), eliminating V:. V: is ahead of W:, physically.

Has anybody done it? How? Are there any tips?

Thanks...

Pete:
Hi Doug

Why not xcopy everything off both V: and W: to a backup device eg large-ish USB drive, delete the V: and W: drives and then create 1 volume with whatever drive letter from the free space.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Pete on March 14, 2014, 12:27:04 am ---Hi Doug

Why not xcopy everything off both V: and W: to a backup device eg large-ish USB drive, delete the V: and W: drives and then create 1 volume with whatever drive letter from the free space.
--- End quote ---

Well. it is about 150 GB of data. I have it backed up to a USB drive already (except for a quick RSYNC to get the latest updates). I am just curious if anybody has actually merged two JFS drives, which was supposed to be one of the "greatest features" about JFS, when it first appeared.

If anybody has done it, I would like some tips. If not, I may give it a try (when I find the time). If it doesn't work, I can put the disk out of the USB drive into the machine (it is SATA), to cut down on the restore time. I suppose I had better test that too, before committing myself.   :)

Greggory Shaw:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on March 13, 2014, 09:01:31 pm ---
... Has anybody done it? How? Are there any tips?

Thanks...

--- End quote ---

I was just looking at this the other day and couldn't find anything either. Then, I saw a reference to WSEB.  I booted one up and sure enough the LVM program has the option => Expand !

Greggory

Eugene Gorbunoff:
Don't Expand.

In this case it's impossible recover data from broken JFS volume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version