OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

Merge two JFS volumes

<< < (3/4) > >>

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: Boris on March 14, 2014, 10:59:42 pm ---DFSee cannot neither merge, nor move, nor resize JFS volumes.

--- End quote ---

That's bad news - I thought Jan has implemented that in a newer version. Thanks for the info.

dbanet:

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on March 15, 2014, 01:01:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: Boris on March 14, 2014, 10:59:42 pm ---DFSee cannot neither merge, nor move, nor resize JFS volumes.

--- End quote ---

That's bad news - I thought Jan has implemented that in a newer version. Thanks for the info.

--- End quote ---

I agree to you -- that's a big limitation. I had to zip my whole OS/2 installation on my Thinkpad, transfer it by FTP on a local server, then use valerius' boot CD and DFSee, then recreate the JFS volume on a different offset and then unzip the whole OS/2 installation back on it.

Well, I indeed had to install Windoze first...

Neil Waldhauer:
I have also expanded a JFS drive in just the way that Doug has proposed. Other than having a good backup, I didn't do anything special. I deleted a volume that used to contain Windows XP, and added the space to an existing 300 GB JFS volume.

Doug Bissett:
Well, I deleted the volume (V:) on my old test machine. It happened to be the whole physical disk. I then used LVM to extend W: (which is also a whole physical disk) into that space. I decided to reboot, before trying anything else. For some reason, that didn't go too well. I ended up having to force power off. At power on all was well, and my W: drive is that much bigger. Step 1 successful.

Then, I tried my Lenovo ThinkPad T510. That is all on one physical disk. I deleted the "extra" volume, and expanded the W: drive into the free space. Reboot went better this time, and it seems to have worked. Step 2 successful.

It will take a bit of preparation for the last one, so I will report later.

dbanet:
Doug, I'm just interested what will happen if you remove the second hard disk drive, to where your JFS volume was expanded, from your old test machine?

I believe IBM did everything right, and the data that is stored physically on the second HDD will just disappear from the volume, but I've never tested that. As you say, this is an old test machine, so why not test this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version