OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Internet

Arca Noae should be directly involved in web browser development efforts

(1/2) > >>

David Kiley:
I think Arca Noae should be prioritizing the browser over hardware support at this point and should be directly involved in the efforts to develop a functional browser either with development work or funding..
Users of OS/2 can live with slightly or even much older hardware for years but an OS is dead in the water without a functional browser.

I could see a purpose of paying to  upgrade ArcaOS if they did this but otherwise I kind of don't.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: David Kiley on January 04, 2024, 10:12:18 am ---I think Arca Noae should be prioritizing the browser over hardware support at this point and should be directly involved in the efforts to develop a functional browser either with development work or funding..
Users of OS/2 can live with slightly or even much older hardware for years but an OS is dead in the water without a functional browser.

I could see a purpose of paying to  upgrade ArcaOS if they did this but otherwise I kind of don't.

--- End quote ---

Like in the Mensys days the community does a portion of the OS development. If AN wants todo browser development is part two. Send an email to AN about this. I know they do not read the forums allways.

BWW and OS/2 VOICE (me) started working on the QT web browser. This project has proven to be (despite making an estimate) a very big pile of work. But that is what you get with one FTE.

The primary reason that the browser was never finished is because Dmitry is from Russia. To put it simple in a recent newspaper interview with Norwegian newspaper he compares Russia to facits state. Dmitry was in 2014 involved with starting the independed  the independed newswebsite https://media.zona. Which has been declared a foreign agent (goverment sanctions). At this moment Dmitry has left Russia also because he does not support Putin his genocidal war in Ukraine and because of his activity with independed press. Dmitry has for 2 years not found a new country to stay. Effectively he moved to Turkey and is now in one of the Baltic states. He will most likely never be able to go back to Russia as long as the country does not turn into a democratic direction.

I just explain this above for people who did not see my Warpstock presentation I did in Orlando in November last year.
I am currently working on an updated newsletter about the browser development. VOICE has not forgotten about the browser, The panful issue is that without this stiupid war we would have had a browser.

Roderick Klein
OS/2 VOICE

Sergey Posokhov:

--- Quote ---as long as the country does not turn into a democratic direction

--- End quote ---
Nooooo, please, never!!!  ;)

Lars:
I have never understood why Russia never managed to make more out of their abilities and possibilities.

They have capable sports guys, they have capable and talented artists (some of the world best pianists among them), they have smart people (I have a big maths book written by a Russian mathematician in the 1950's or so), they have resources/raw materials and they have money.
But the result is just plain meagre.

Davorin:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on January 06, 2024, 03:49:53 pm ---The primary reason that the browser was never finished is because Dmitry is from Russia. To put it simple in a recent newspaper interview with Norwegian newspaper he compares Russia to facits state.

--- End quote ---
Bandera is a democrat and Putin is a fascist??!
" O tempora, o mores" :'(

We definitely need a functional browser and I am ready to financially help the new team again, which will not run away before the job is done.

Regards
Davorin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version