OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

getting chkdsk fix errors on C (Vm Virtualbox)

(1/2) > >>

mauro:
Hi, if I run chkdsk on C:\  from inside a OS2 open session, then the prompt warns that no fix actions will be possible as the disk remains in read-only mode, and that is fully understandable.
Could you suggest a way to make a chkdsk scanning that could fix the corrupted-bad sectors, that I guess could be performed from an external installation media, which I don't own  (I used a first-boot Warp 4.52 .vdi image to be directly imported in Virtualbox).
Thank you

Neil Waldhauer:
Make a copy of the VDI using the host operating system.
Add the copy to your Virtual Machine
OS/2 will mount the 2nd C: drive, but LVM will assign another drive letter.
Chkdsk the second drive using the assigned letter.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Mauro

I guess you can:
a) Get the CD-ROM images of Warp 4.52. Boot from the CD, press F3 on the installer and run checkdisk to the hard drive.
or
b) Generate the maintenance images from you VirtualBox image. Mount a Disk1.img empty image as a diskettes and create the diskette from the Maintenance Tool, and go through all the disk. Then boot VBox with the DISK1.IMG mounted and got to the command propmt and checkdisk from there.  (Image attached)
or
c) Mount the "dirty" vdi image on a different OS/2 VM as as secondary disk, boot the image and run checkdisk from there to the second hard drive.

Regards

mauro:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on January 13, 2024, 03:22:28 pm ---Make a copy of the VDI using the host operating system.
Add the copy to your Virtual Machine
OS/2 will mount the 2nd C: drive, but LVM will assign another drive letter.
Chkdsk the second drive using the assigned letter.

--- End quote ---

Hi Neil, cannot import a .vdi file as an additional volume, .vdi format file is not allowed for this operation

mauro:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on January 13, 2024, 03:28:13 pm ---Hi Mauro

--- End quote ---

Hi Martin

--- Quote ---I guess you can:
a) Get the CD-ROM images of Warp 4.52. Boot from the CD, press F3 on the installer and run checkdisk to the hard drive.

--- End quote ---

Have no boot CD of OS2, need to look around where to get one

--- Quote ---
or
b) Generate the maintenance images from you VirtualBox image. Mount a Disk1.img empty image as a diskettes and create the diskette from the Maintenance Tool, and go through all the disk. Then boot VBox with the DISK1.IMG mounted and got to the command propmt and checkdisk from there.  (Image attached)

--- End quote ---

Passages too tricky for me, will mess up the situation for sure

--- Quote ---
or
c) Mount the "dirty" vdi image on a different OS/2 VM as as secondary disk, boot the image and run checkdisk from there to the second hard drive.

--- End quote ---

mounting a .vdi file as secondary disk isn't allowed by Virtualbox, only .dmg, .cue, .viso, .iso, .cdr format are selectable

thank you anyway

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version