OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Networking

ArcaMapper and Network Protocols

(1/9) > >>

Mark Szkolnicki:
Good Morning Guys!

That is, good if you like waking up to -41 C with an overnight low of -46 C. We had 3 months of balmy winter here in Alberta and are now paying for it - I see some of our colleagues in the states are having winter storms, so I guess we're all in it together.

However, the cold is allowing me to turn my thoughts once again to technical problem solving, after approximately one year and two months of constant emergencies, both personal and for protecting the greater public good, (you can see what that entailed in another general post of mine from December).

But I thought I'd solicit some opinions from the brain trust here, related to a problem I'm having with ArcaMapper. I already had a look at a couple of the other more Samba specific topics, but I decided to start a new one, as this problem seemed more specific to using and connecting, as opposed to the technical intricacies of the client or server itself.

I finally installed ArcaOS v5.1, and was attempting to get the current version of ArcaMapper to mount items in two ways - one with my NetGear ReadyNAS server and the other with some of my towers running dual operating systems (ArcaOS and Windows 7).

The Network Browser does see both the ReadyNAS and Windows 7 systems as separate machines and displays the partitions in the window on the right, however when I attempt to create the proper credentials and apply those to mount the item I select (ie. the credentials I successfully use accessing the resources in Windows) the credentials are not accepted.

Reading the ArcaMapper documentation (yes, some people still do that), and some general documentation related to Samba and SMB - I suspect the problem is actually related to Samba and SMB.conf - I think the NetGear ReadyNAS uses Unix based network protocols (whatever they were around 2010) while Windows 7, I think uses SMB2.1.

Reading up both on Samba and SMB.conf, generally and the help documentation provided with ArcaMapper, it looks like I may need to specify these other network protocols directly in SMB.conf - however, not knowing much about the specific workings of Samba, especially our current version(s), I'm on the normal steep technical learning curve at the moment.

I will say as background, I've never been able to successfully connect to these resources using ArcaMapper, or its previous incarnations under ArcaOS in the past - so I decided a cold winter day was the time to try to solve this problem once and for all.

I already reviewed the limited troubleshooting options in the ArcaMapper docs without success (client minimum protocol=NT1 is already present in SMB.conf). Are there any other specific statements that I should add or modify, or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Any have thoughts that will lead me to the correct path, as opposed to going over the cliff?

Best and a fine Week to all!

Mark

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Good Morning Guys!

That is, good if you like waking up to -41 C with an overnight low of -46 C. We had 3 months of balmy winter here in Alberta and are now paying for it - I see some of our colleagues in the states are having winter storms, so I guess we're all in it together.

--- End quote ---

Well, it is afternoon now. That was a serious cold snap. It is still cold, but I am looking for the beach.   :)

--- Quote ---I will say as background, I've never been able to successfully connect to these resources using ArcaMapper, or its previous incarnations under ArcaOS in the past - so I decided a cold winter day was the time to try to solve this problem once and for all.
--- End quote ---

I don't know anything about your NAS, but it should work. I have not had problems with win 7, since I told it to use the proper protocols. I have removed all but three win 7 VBox systems. I need to ask what version of win 7, since networking is a little different in different versions.

--- Quote ---Are there any other specific statements that I should add or modify, or am I looking in the wrong direction?
--- End quote ---

If you have ever modified any of those statements, UNmodoify them, but it is more likely to be something that you are doing wrong. Trying to figure that out is probably next to impossible. There are alot of ways to mess it up.

First, realize that SAMBA server, in OS/2, is version 3.x (OLD), but it is capable of handling win 7 (I assume the NAS is a Linux box). SAMBA client is version 4.x, and it needs to be told to use older protocols (when necessary), hence the -NT parameter. -NT should not be necessary with win 7 (but leave it as default). I am not sure about your NAS. Win 7 may need to be set to stop using the older protocols, if it was previously set to use them.

But first, exactly what do you do to create the problem, and exactly what happens?

Paul Smedley:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on January 17, 2024, 01:08:34 am ---
--- Quote ---Are there any other specific statements that I should add or modify, or am I looking in the wrong direction?
--- End quote ---
First, realize that SAMBA server, in OS/2, is version 3.x (OLD), but it is capable of handling win 7 (I assume the NAS is a Linux box). SAMBA client is version 4.x, and it needs to be told to use older protocols (when necessary), hence the -NT parameter. -NT should not be necessary with win 7 (but leave it as default). I am not sure about your NAS. Win 7 may need to be set to stop using the older protocols, if it was previously set to use them.

--- End quote ---

Agree the Samba Server in ArcaOS is 3.x (OLD) - however I've been posted builds of a Samba 4.x server here for some time. Current build is based on Samba 4.19.4.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Agree the Samba Server in ArcaOS is 3.x (OLD) - however I've been posted builds of a Samba 4.x server here for some time. Current build is based on Samba 4.19.4.
--- End quote ---

IMO, Mark is not ready to try Alpha, or Beta, software. (I am not ready either, because I don't know enough about SAMBA). What we need to know, is exactly what is he doing?

I can assume that he is trying to use SAMBA CLIENT, to access his other devices (so the server would be entirely irrelevant). Obviously there is a problem there, and it is probably a setup error. Many users have missed the fact that the SAMBA CLIENT has almost caught up to the rest of the world, and they have forgotten what they did, to other servers, to get older versions of the client to work properly. Some, or all, of those things need to be undone. Win 7 is sort of a middle ground, where most, but possibly not all, parts will work with our client, and server.

Neil Waldhauer:
Both of Mark's servers are old. The new client demands more security, and perhaps the servers aren't offering it. You can reduce the client demand for security by adding this line to smb.conf

client min protocol = NT1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version