Author Topic: Mozilla Warpin installers + applications  (Read 34155 times)

eirik

Mozilla Warpin installers + applications
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »
Thanks to Doug Bissett for providing the WarpIn installers for WarpIn installers for SeaMonkey 2.14, Thunderbird 17.0.11, Firefox 17.0.5 beta2.  Works wonderfully once I manually installs glib2 (see the readme in any of the applications) under eCS 2.1. 

I do not use SeaMonkey, but the latest versions (17esr) of Thunderbird and Firefox work excellent.  I was a bit concerned about Firefox, given it is still a beta2, but with 12esr having some shortcomings, I decided to upgrade Firefox as well.  Glad I did: fast, reliable, and Flash and Java (via IcedTea) also work well.  Hence, also thanks to the Bitwise team, Dave Yeo, and Flash and IcedTea developers.  eCS is alive and kicking.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Mozilla Warpin installers + applications
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:20 am »
Couple of points. Thunderbird 17.0.11 and SeaMonkey 2.14 are at basically the same level as Firefox 17.0.5ESR as they are all built on the Bitwiise port of Gecko 17 though SM and TB do have 5 releases of security fixes that FF doesn't.
Also I made a mistake when building SM and TB, namely disabling OOP (out of process plugins).
Anyone using these with Flash installed needs to add a config by using the about:config URL.
On SM, enter about:config in the URL bar, click yes to the warranty message to get to the config editor.
On TB,  Open Options-->Advanced-->General and click Config Editor to get there
Then right click on a blank area and choose New-->Boolean and enter "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npflos2.dll" without the quotes, then choose False.
I'll probably fix this this weekend.

muffetta

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:21 am »
Thanks dave, in fact before this setting plugin-container was using the cpu at 100%, making the browser unusable  ;D

dbanet

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »
Also I made a mistake when building SM and TB, namely disabling OOP (out of process plugins).
Anyone using these with Flash installed needs to add a config by using the about:config URL.

I thought bww bitwise works GmbH didn't actually make OOP working.
You've mentioned SM and TB, but does OOP work in Firefox?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:57:07 am »

I thought bww bitwise works GmbH didn't actually make OOP working.

There are bugs related to MMPM and I think I might have missed something else. I get 100% CPU with SM using up one core and plugin-container.exe using the other core.
You can test by going to about:config and changing the referenced preference to true and then visiting a site with Flash.
It's surprising how many sites use Flash.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 05:10:28 am »
I was a bit concerned about Firefox, given it is still a beta2

Well, TB and SM are even more beta, but they all seem to work pretty well.

I fixed the ZIP files, and recreated the WPI files, with the fix:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/SEAMONKEY-2.14.1.EN-US.OS2.zip

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/Seamonkey-2-14-1-esr.wpi

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/THUNDERBIRD-17.0.11ESRPRE1.EN-US.OS2.zip

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/Thunderbird-17-0-11ESRPRE1-esr.wpi

Firefox already has the fix to disable OOP.

dbanet

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:02:21 pm »

That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Is the build parameter intended to be switched of or on? Why?

Couldn't you please clarify the thing for me?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
From what I know, OOP has a problem with something in OS/2. The current way to bypass the problem is to add the setting, that Dave mentioned, in ABOUT:CONFIG. OOP is supposed to get fixed, eventually, and the setting will get turned to true. All of the Mozilla derivatives are affected.

Dave forgot to make the change that turns off OOP, when he built Thunderbird, and Seamonkey. I added the temporary fix, and uploaded new install files. It was not necessary to change Firefox, because it already had the temporary fix.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 06:20:18 pm »

That doesn't seem to make much sense.

Is the build parameter intended to be switched of or on? Why?

Couldn't you please clarify the thing for me?

OOP is built but as it is buggy it is turned off with a preference. Easiest to add the preference to prefs.js (or the equivalent for SM and TB but as I posted, you can add it manually and toggle it if curious.
Between FF4 and FF10 we completely disabled it in the build process as it needed porting.

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »
From what I know, OOP has a problem with something in OS/2. The current way to bypass the problem is to add the setting, that Dave mentioned, in ABOUT:CONFIG. OOP is supposed to get fixed, eventually, and the setting will get turned to true. All of the Mozilla derivatives are affected.

Dave forgot to make the change that turns off OOP, when he built Thunderbird, and Seamonkey. I added the temporary fix, and uploaded new install files. It was not necessary to change Firefox, because it already had the temporary fix.

I hope that clarifies the situation.
Do you mean 'set turned off by default' by 'temporary fix'?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:49:14 pm »
Do you mean 'set turned off by default' by 'temporary fix'?

Yes.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 04:04:24 am »
Updated ZIP and WPI versions of the previous Mozilla programs have been uploaded to HOBBES.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:15 am »
Updated ZIP and WPI versions of the previous Mozilla programs have been uploaded to HOBBES.

These have a fix for the crash when printing without a printer installed and are more aggressive at using high memory. I find them having much improved memory handling on JavaScript heavy sites.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:59:31 am »
They are all at netlabs too.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:16:48 am »
While on the subject, there is also a newer freetyp2.dll available at https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mzfntcfgft/downloads/freetyp2_12-21-13%5B2.5.2%5D.zip. I'll be making 2.5.3 available as soon as I get around to it as well.