Author Topic: Mozilla Warpin installers + applications  (Read 34153 times)

dbanet

Re: Mozilla Warpin installers + applications
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 12:41:00 pm »
So where can I always get the latest build by Dave? Hobbes? Bitbucket (didn't find FF there)?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 04:18:54 pm »
So where can I always get the latest build by Dave? Hobbes? Bitbucket (didn't find FF there)?

Dave has built SeaMonkey, Thunderbird and Lightning. He has uploaded it to ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/.

Bitwise Works has built Firefox. For announcements see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases/.

Andreas
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:29:49 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

dbanet

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 05:21:25 pm »

Dave has bulit SeaMonkey, Thunderbird and Lightning. He has uploaded it to ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/.

Bitwise Works has built Firefox. For announcements see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases/.

Andreas

Can't see Lightning for Thunderbird 17.

Also it seems that Dave also built Firefox, too, because he says that his build is more aggressive at using high memory (which I wanna try very much).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:30:35 pm by Boris »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 05:40:41 pm »
Also it seems that Dave also built Firefox, too, because he says that his build is more aggressive at using high memory (which I wanna try very much).

That is the 10.0.12 version, release 2. The rest of the new releases are of the same vintage.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »

Dave has bulit SeaMonkey, Thunderbird and Lightning. He has uploaded it to ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/.

Andreas

Can't see Lightning for Thunderbird 17.

Lightning will work for both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird. I'll be rebuilding it soon as some of the icons need converting to OS/2 format.

While I have Firefox 17.0.11 installed locally, I don't plan on sharing it and stepping on the toes of Bitwise as they're doing the development and people should be using their release for bug reporting purposes.
I'm not really a developer and for SM and TB all I really did was some build fixes and I was to lazy to find why my first builds crashed due to using up all the shared memory so I took a shortcut which seems to have helped more then expected.
If anyone experiences crashes etc with my builds, they should first test with the Bitwise build of FF and if it has the same problem, report to them.

dbanet

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:03 pm »
Dave, so you can't improve bitwise's FF17 the same way you did with FF10? I mean more aggressive use of highmem?

That's very important -- reducing the use of low memory, really.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 07:32:45 pm »
At this point the Bitwise build seems to work pretty good and much the same as my build and I don't think it would be a good idea to have 2 different versions of Firefox floating around. They're the ones who'll be fixing most bugs and I don't want to introduce any subtle problems that are caused by things like different build environments.

dbanet

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »
Dave, the build works pretty bad. Although it even doesn't crash too often (while a lot people say it does), the biggest problem is that it fucks up the shared memory arena and I can't run programs even after I close FF (sic!), also it doesn't free memory at all -- closing tabs doesn't increase the amount of free memory in the system. Also when I open tabs back again, it eats even more memory, so that's literally a memory-waste-machine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:54:20 pm by Boris »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:03 pm »
You could open an issue at github and ask for them to do a new build with -Zhigh-mem added to the enable-optimize flags.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 10:09:52 pm »
Dave, the build works pretty bad. Although it even doesn't crash too often (while a lot people say it does), the biggest problem is that it <censored> up the shared memory arena and I can't run programs even after I close FF (sic!), also it doesn't free memory at all -- closing tabs doesn't increase the amount of free memory in the system. Also when I open tabs back again, it eats even more memory, so that's literally a memory-waste-machine.

Strange. I just did a quick test with FF 17.0.5 beta2 (which works well, for me). I don't see low memory usage change, at all, after starting the program. Shared high memory doesn't change, just by opening tabs. It does go down a bit when those tabs are populated. I didn't see the memory returned until I closed FF. There is, of course, some memory that doesn't get returned, but that seems to be normal for most programs.

FWIW, the worst shared memory eater, that I have seen, is CLAMD.EXE, and it gets worse with every database update. I had to quit using that more than a year ago. Since then, I have had no trouble with shared memory.

One thing, that seems to help with shared memory space, is to have the line
dllbasing=off
near the top of your CONFIG.SYS. That allows OS/2 to make better use of shared memory, at the expense of a very slight decline in performance (not noticeable, unless you are still using a 486 SX processor).

dbanet

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 12:43:03 am »
Doug,

There is, of course, some memory that doesn't get returned
Some? No memory gets returned.

One thing, that seems to help with shared memory space, is to have the line
dllbasing=off
If it's so good, why isn't it included in config.sys of eCS 2.1?

Dave,

You could open an issue at github
Opened, issue #55

ask for them to do a new build with -Zhigh-mem added to the enable-optimize flags.
It builds with -Zhigh-mem already.

And I suppose FF10 builds with -Zhigh-mem, too.

Is the -Zhigh-mem flag what you mean by "more aggressive use of high memory"? I mean, is this your fix?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 03:01:24 am »
Yes. Configure is supposed to set -Zhigh-mem everywhere but it wasn't working on SeaMonkey so I added it to LDFLAGS first which helped a lot, then realized that adding it to the optimize flags was an easier workaround. I then tested on 10esr doing the same thing and had a large improvement, especially with JavaScript. I assume that the stock build was not adding it everywhere it should and I was too lazy to look through all the makefiles to check where the problem was.
Note that from my limited testing FF17.0.5 seems to correctly set the high memory stuff.
As usual your mileage will vary but especially with SM2.7.x I saw a huge improvement.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 03:07:46 am »
Yes. Configure is supposed to set -Zhigh-mem everywhere but it wasn't working on SeaMonkey so I added it to LDFLAGS first which helped a lot, then realized that adding it to the optimize flags was an easier workaround.

Does that do the same as what I did by flagging dll's to load high with highmem.exe?
Shared memory usage is very low here, and memory does return for the most part after closing firefox.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:41 am »
Some? No memory gets returned.

Well, most of it gets returned on my systems. The small amount that doesn't, could be some other program using more memory. I didn't look to account for every byte.

If it's so good, why isn't it included in config.sys of eCS 2.1?

You will have to ask Roderick Klein about that. He has been told, more than once. It is an easy thing to add, and it seems to be the most effective way to improve shared memory usage, with minimal impact. The eComStation Kernel tool (in system setup) will add it to CONFIG.SYS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:07 am »
Yes. Configure is supposed to set -Zhigh-mem everywhere but it wasn't working on SeaMonkey so I added it to LDFLAGS first which helped a lot, then realized that adding it to the optimize flags was an easier workaround.

Does that do the same as what I did by flagging dll's to load high with highmem.exe?
Shared memory usage is very low here, and memory does return for the most part after closing firefox.

It mallocs high memory if possible and seems to be more effective. My first builds of SM2.14 were using hundreds of MBs of shared memory and crashing. I flagged everything to use high memory and it didn't really help. Forcing -Zhigh-mem everywhere helped amazingly well so I rebuilt SM2.7.2.12 and it was also much better.