OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

Are there any 8GB Nvme compatiable motherboard

(1/3) > >>

Doug Clark:
Anyone aware of a motherboard that handles nvme and provides os/2 access to the full 8gb of main memory?

I don't see one on the wiki and was hoping someone has experience with building such a system.

Dave Yeo:
What do you mean by the full 8GB's? OS/2 is limited to 4GB address space, minus PCI address space. So my system gives,

--- Code: ---Total physical memory:      8,078 MB
Accessible to system:       3,502 MB
Additional (PAE) memory:    4,576 MB

--- End code ---
which is as close as your likely to get for memory. It has an Nvme slot, actually 2 including one for wifi, plus 4 SATA ports (one is eSATA).
It's a Lenovo 910s, about 6 years old.

Dariusz Piatkowski:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on January 20, 2024, 06:48:56 pm ---What do you mean by the full 8GB's? OS/2 is limited to 4GB address space, minus PCI address space...
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm thinking Doug is looking for a hardware config Dave that allows OS/2 to set aside the max <4GB space it can possibly use, as well as anything above that 4GB mark for ramdisk...heck, I suppose you don't necessairly have to stop at 8GB, but not sure what one might need a bigger ramdisk for.

In comparison to Dave's numbers, here is what my ancient MSI board shows:

--- Code: ---Total physical memory:      8,191 MB
Accessible to system:       3,199 MB
Additional (PAE) memory:    4,992 MB

--- End code ---

ivan:
Hi Doug,

Depends on what processor you want to use.
If you are happy with AMD Ryzen processors then you could look at the MSI B550 A-Pro.  I have one with a Ryzen third gen processor with the built in video.  I have kept it to the 4GB memory that OS/2 can use.  I would suggest that you download the PDF manual for it and check it is what you want - I can't say anything about Intel processors because I stopped using their over priced units when AMD came out with their 486 processor. 

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Doug,

--- Quote from: Doug Clark on January 20, 2024, 05:54:57 pm ---Anyone aware of a motherboard that handles nvme and provides os/2 access to the full 8gb of main memory?...
--- End quote ---

What about finding a mb that provides OS/2 with a nice linear memory map (no holes) and using an adapter for nvme chores?

Assuming that the original goal of finding both proves to be a challenge, I am thinking an adapter would be the easier of the two to handle in ad-hoc fasion...I mean as long as the mb provides a nice PCIe x4 (or greater, such as x8 for multiple NVMe drives) you would be good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version