OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

OpenWatcom Discussion

(1/3) > >>

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Lars on February 01, 2024, 06:52:08 am ---....One version of Watcom being incompatible with the next and unfortunately picking the "official" version does not help because it is the one that is buggy.

--- End quote ---

Where are you getting an official version of OW? Last was 1.9 and there are betas on netlabs that seem as compatible with that as any.
There is Jiri's fork, I doubt that he tests OS/2.

Lars:
Watcom 1.9 is what supposedly everybody should use, so I called that "official". But for a seldomly used feature ("based pointers") it produces an incorrect binary (for code executing in Ring 0 -> device drivers) where Watcom 2.0 will work properly. But Watcom 2.0 is "Jiri's fork" where you never know what he will do next.

Is there a possibility at all to report a bug against Watcom 1.9 ?

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Lars on February 01, 2024, 10:38:03 am ---Watcom 1.9 is what supposedly everybody should use, so I called that "official". But for a seldomly used feature ("based pointers") it produces an incorrect binary (for code executing in Ring 0 -> device drivers) where Watcom 2.0 will work properly. But Watcom 2.0 is "Jiri's fork" where you never know what he will do next.

Is there a possibility at all to report a bug against Watcom 1.9 ?

--- End quote ---
Is this bug new to 1.9 or 1.8 or ...

There's still alive the #watcom chat group and Michal is hanging around there. I don't think the perforce server will ever get started again. There's also Stevens OW copy at github - https://github.com/StevenLevine/openwatcom-v1. But it seems he don't allow issues there. Maybe we should email Frank? But I fear he lost interest on OW since a while.

Edit - Michal says this https://github.com/iainnicol/open-watcom-1.x/tree/openwatcom 'should be a very accurate conversion of the P4 depot to git, but it's not meant as a working copy:'. Looking a bit in the commits it seems to me Stevens repository is much ahead of that. Although Michal says he will accept fixes I think an email to Steven would be the best chance to get something fixed in the near future.

Basically it's the same problem as always - if different people put different repositories online no one knows what's the best one to use. If there's no clear lead for a project it's useless in the long run even if there exist different source repos. Currently I don't know what I should think about the next fork of Martin here - https://github.com/OS2World/DEV-TOOLS-IDE-openwatcom-v1. Of course I circumvent Jiris sites including his sourceforge.net one.

Alex Taylor:
FWIW, I understand from Steven that his repository should be considered the "current" one.

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Alex Taylor on February 01, 2024, 02:13:37 pm ---FWIW, I understand from Steven that his repository should be considered the "current" one.

--- End quote ---
I think so. But there's no possibility for filling issues. Also I don't find a complete package there. I for myself use the latest package what Frank build and what he put on his server. But I think his site doesn't exist anymore :-(.

Btw. thanks Lars for your comment here. This brought to my attention to test with older watcom releases with a project I worked a few days ago. It does behave strange with my OW1.9++.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version