OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

How to properly setup a working FAT32 USB stick?

(1/3) > >>

David Graser:
I can no longer get newly bought USB flash drives to work under ArcaOS 5.1.  In the past, I used the reformat.exe tool from the Essentials Package.  Its license expired.  I have tried formatting with ArcaOS and DFSee to no avail. I always get unknown drive after formatting in Windows or DFSee.  I have to admit I am guessing when using DFSee to format the drives.   What I find strange is both Windows and DFSee recognize it as a fat32 drive, but ArcaOS does not.

My question is what are the proper steps to get properly formatted FAT32 working drives under ArcaOS?

Dave Yeo:
There's directions at https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/usb/preparing-usb-msd-disks/
DFSee also has a script to make one under Scripts-->Make FAT32  Data (USB) disk which has usually worked for me.

Tom:

--- Quote from: David Graser on March 01, 2024, 03:34:23 pm ---I can no longer get newly bought USB flash drives to work under ArcaOS 5.1.  In the past, I used the reformat.exe tool from the Essentials Package.  Its license expired.  I have tried formatting with ArcaOS and DFSee to no avail. I always get unknown drive after formatting in Windows or DFSee.  I have to admit I am guessing when using DFSee to format the drives.   What I find strange is both Windows and DFSee recognize it as a fat32 drive, but ArcaOS does not.

My question is what are the proper steps to get properly formatted FAT32 working drives under ArcaOS?

--- End quote ---

In DFSee: menu Scripts --> Make FAT32 Data (USB) disk
That also adds LVM information, that is needed to be usable under AOS. Just reformatting doesn't add LVM informastion.

David Graser:
Thanks Tom!  That did the trick. 

Martin Iturbide:
Hello

I have this article on the wiki: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php?title=Prepare_the_FAT32_USB_Flash_Drive

Let me know if it is still valid, thanks for the Arca Noae link, I had added it there too.

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version