OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Storage

How to properly setup a working FAT32 USB stick?

<< < (2/3) > >>

David Graser:
Martin, you ariticle is spot on.  Still valid.  Using the DFSee script option makes everything easy.

ivan:
One question to add to that - how do you get a specific drive letter the the usb stick?  In days gone by, before ArcaOS, I formatted several 32 Gb usb sticks and at the end of the formatting it asked for a drive letter which I gave and they still have which makes it easy to know information on then is on the usb.

The information here does produce a fat32 formatted usb but does not allow giving a drive letter unless I am missing something.  Is there a way of giving a drive letter to usb sticks formatter this way./?

Dave Yeo:
You can use LVM or miniLVM to give a preferred drive letter or *. The * means first available drive letter and I think is the default with removable drives. The preferred letter only gets assigned if nothing else hasn't already grabbed the letter.

ivan:
Thanks Dave.  Why is everything so much more complicated with Arca, ,are they trying to kill off OS/2?

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: ivan on March 06, 2024, 03:52:54 pm ---Thanks Dave.  Why is everything so much more complicated with Arca, ,are they trying to kill off OS/2?

--- End quote ---

Complicated compared to what? On Linux you don't have drive letters so not comparable. On Win you need to set the letter in "Datentr├Ągerverwaltung" (English name?) too if you wanna have the same fixed one. So no difference.

What's Arca, ,? ArcaOS you mean I guess. Or does have the two commas a special meaning? I don't see any difference here compared to latest OS/2 version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version