OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Polls

eComStation Retail Store?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Lewis Rosenthal:
[I'm not voting in the poll, as I build these for a living, so I wouldn't buy one in a store - but that's not to say that I don't believe people would buy them if they had the opportunity.]

Hi, all...

David, as a Linux consultant, I can tell you that getting the average Windows user to switch - even given the enormous learning curve moving from Win 7 to Win 8 - is a difficult task. Getting a Windows user to switch to the Worklplace Shell, however, is a different matter. Of course, we *do* need those updated apps (and they are coming).

As for lacking a fully functional VirtualBox, how so? Frankly, I find running *any* guest under a 32-bit host is less than enjoyable. If you want to install eCS as a VM under 64-bit Linux, then you have pretty much all the support you might need. That said, I *do* run guest VMs under eCS, for specific tasks ( a slim Ubuntu build makes a great multi-protocol VPN client; route the traffic from the eCS host through it, and there is no need to be concerned about a native VPN solution).

Macs are another alternative, and people seem to make the switch to that environment without too much fuss (I can't get used to mice with single buttons - "cycloptic," I like to call them). Still, there are alternatives, and eCS isn't for everyone. That said, every time I list eCS pre-loaded machines on eBay, I sell a few. In fact, it's pretty good advertising, and I've made more than one acquaintance from people just seeing the systems there and contacting me about other OS/2-related work.

Cheers, and good luck with your new venture.

Ian Manners:
Hi Lewis,

--- Quote ---Macs are another alternative, and people seem to make the switch to that environment without too much fuss (I can't get used to mice with single buttons - "cycloptic," I like to call them).
--- End quote ---

Nothing stopping you plugging in a normal 2 or more button USB mouse, they do work, as do the extra buttons :)
I like to right click to bring up the menu's under OSX.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---especially the lack of a fully functional virtualbox in my opinion.
--- End quote ---

What is missing? I run WinXP, eCS 2.x, and Warp4, in VB v1-6-1_OSE. They all work about the same as on real machines, although slower (as expected). I don't really use them for much, but they do work. I do leave sound off, because it seems that UniAud can't handle it properly.

--- Quote ---I find running *any* guest under a 32-bit host is less than enjoyable.
--- End quote ---

I have VB running under Win7 Home edition (32 bit on my Lenovo T510), and under Win7 Pro (64 bit on my Lenovo L530). Again, I don't use them much, but I really don't see much difference. I did have Linux Mint (64 bit on the L530), with VB, and it seemed to boot the guest faster than it does in windows, but once it got going, I couldn't notice much difference. Of course, you can't run a 64 bit guest under a 32 bit host, but that applies to all platforms. The trick for "performance" seems to be to give the guest enough memory, that it doesn't have to swap. Of course, that limits the number of guests in a 32 bit system, and you need the physical memory in a 64 bit system. Again, that applies to all platforms.

Lewis Rosenthal:
Hi, Ian...

--- Quote from: Ian Manners on August 07, 2014, 12:10:16 pm ---Hi Lewis,

--- Quote ---Macs are another alternative, and people seem to make the switch to that environment without too much fuss (I can't get used to mice with single buttons - "cycloptic," I like to call them).
--- End quote ---

Nothing stopping you plugging in a normal 2 or more button USB mouse, they do work, as do the extra buttons :)
I like to right click to bring up the menu's under OSX.

--- End quote ---

True enough, but on a stock MacBook, with no external mouse (which is about 90% of the Mac work I get these days), there is a single huge button below the touchpad (and I'm not even getting into my dislike of touchpads; input devices are personal things, and I understand that concept). I press on the left; I press on the right. It all does the same thing. Frustrating. Not for me. Once I get to a desktop and can open a terminal, I'm good to go, because it's all BSD on the back end - LOL.

Cheers

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Doug Bissett on August 07, 2014, 04:57:27 pm ---
--- Quote ---especially the lack of a fully functional virtualbox in my opinion.
--- End quote ---

What is missing?

--- End quote ---
- working netbios support (list files in all directories not only in some)
- full network support (mulitcast, server support)
- running more than one instance
- USB

to name a few

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version