Author Topic: Strange problems with Firefox  (Read 18540 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Strange problems with Firefox
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:57 pm »
I have a couple of strange problems with Firefox, both the 10.0.x branch as well as the 17.0.5 b2.

The first appears on all the computers here, single core or multi core.  It is shown in the attached picture.  All the machines are using Snap graphics and ATI video cards.

The second only appears on the multi core machines. When I want to copy a picture or diagram from a web page I normally click MB2 on the image and select 'Save image as...', this brings up the save as dialogue box and I can select where to save as well as the name - all is well at this point.  Now when I click on OK Firefox closes even though the image usually gets saved.  There is nothing logged that tells what is happening or why - very annoying.

The only difference between the setup of all the machines is that the multi core machines have the SMP files and os2apic.psd otherwise they are from the same WSeB disk image with adjustment for USB controllers and network names and the mozprofiles directory is copied from the one stored on the NAS - it made no difference starting with a blank profile.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:46:04 pm by ivan »

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Strange problems with Firefox
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:05 am »
I generally don't have mentioned problems. But there are some ways to make it more difficult for a user to copy a picture or to safe it to a local drive. One of these is probably some script which alter the function. If I want to save a picture, even if the owner has made it "impossible" is to use MB2 and go to page info. Then use the media tab and just look up your picture. From there you can save it.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:03:45 am »
You're the first to report the drawing problem and I built FF10ESR on a SMP system with ATI graphics (old) and snap. Does forcing a redraw by resizing the browser fix it? How about restarting in safe-mode (Help-->Restart with Add-ons Disabled) which should turn off the video acceleration (DIVE)
For the SMP problem, you're using WSEB which has a few DLLs that are not SMP safe such as tcpip32.dll. It may be one of these that are triggering the problem. You don't have any trp files in the program directory?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:38 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Joop, I do that to get the embedded video files that are on some of the sites I visit.  As I said the saving images is only a problem on the SMP machines where the image is saved but the browser closes.

Dave, that double image of the save bookmark appears to be a fixture.  I have re-sized the Firefox window and that makes no difference.  Likewise safe mode doesn't change anything.  It is just an annoyance that I can live with because I can navigate with the arrow keys.  Just to add more strangeness to it there was one site that was text only that I bookmarked where the save bookmark dialogue came up correctly.

The other problem is the one of more concern.  As far as I know the tcpip32.dll is the SMP safe one - at least that is what the readme in the zip says.  Could you list the other DLLs that may be part of the problem so I can look into that side of it. 

The only .trp file I can find is one from 2011 that I kept out of curiosity.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:23:58 am »

The other problem is the one of more concern.  As far as I know the tcpip32.dll is the SMP safe one - at least that is what the readme in the zip says.  Could you list the other DLLs that may be part of the problem so I can look into that side of it. 

ACPI readme lists
  * DOSCALL1.DLL
  * TCPIP32.DLL
  * IBMKBD.SYS
  * PSCOM.SYS
  * RESOURCE.SYS

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:19:48 pm »
Thanks Dave, the only one I didn't know about was IBMKBD.SYS  The one I have is from ACP fixpak 6 (I think).

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:15:08 pm »
I have finally managed to get a .trp file from one of our multi core boxes - attached below.  This is from Firefox 17.0.5 b2 and is the result of repeated attempts when saving an image using MB2 and 'save image as...'  As I said the image is saved but the browser just closes without warning. 

dbanet

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:11:32 am »
I have finally managed to get a .trp file from one of our multi core boxes - attached below.  This is from Firefox 17.0.5 b2 and is the result of repeated attempts when saving an image using MB2 and 'save image as...'  As I said the image is saved but the browser just closes without warning.
Please open an issue on github. AFAIK bww people rarely read this forum.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:20:35 am »

Unluckily without the xqs files it is harder to say anything, https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/releases/download/FIREFOX_17_0_5esr_RELEASE_OS2_Beta_2/firefox-17.0.5.en-US.os2.beta_2.xqs.zip, also I see a lot of doscalls1.dll references. It would help to put the sym file into \os2\dll, probably currently in \os2\pdpsi\pmdf\warp4_s. Your exceptq is old as well.
I don't know if it is worth opening an issue at this time, 17.0.5 is not being developed anymore so until 24ESR is released...
btw, the doscall1.dll I have in eCS is DOSCALL1.DLL │  132401│11-24-11│ 3:24a

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:17:50 am »
You can also get DLL libraries at http://dbanet.org/libs. They are mostly from the recent eCS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 09:15:11 am »
Another work around would be to use markexe to mark Firefox SMP unsafe,
markexe /MPUNSAFE firefox.exe and see if that helps.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:48:39 pm »
Thanks Dave.  Attached is another one after installing the .xqs files and copying doscall1.sym to os2\dll.

You say that exceptq is old but it is the latest one I could find on hobbes.

The next thing is to find the markexe you mention and try that.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 07:22:54 pm »
[My mistake, you do have the latest exceptq.
Markexe is part of the toolkit. Seems there are other programs that do the same thing but I can't remember them.
Unluckily I can't say much based on your trp file except I haven't seen a similar crash.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »
Seems there are other programs that do the same thing but I can't remember them

\OS2\EXECMODE.EXE will do it too (use /? for help). I am not sure if you need to do all of the DLLs, or not.

dbanet

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 05:43:17 am »
markexe