Author Topic: eCS for mobile users?  (Read 20272 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
eCS for mobile users?
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
http://www.os2world.com/past-news/79-general/20272-os-2-for-mobile-users
I find this to be quite interesting. I think it would be neat to use eCS on a tablet computer or perhaps a cell phone? or even a phablet?  8) I will be checking out the links in the article.
 8)
BigGoofyGuy

ivan

• View Profile
Re: eCS for mobile users?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »
Tom, the big problem with that the device has to be x86 processor powered.  There is NO way that OS/2 or eCS will run on ARM based units - that is unless some people get together and rewrite an awful lot of code.

dbanet

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »
Eugene usually posts some cr*p to the news. But I agree trying to run OS/2 on an x86-based tabled PC (like Asus Transformer or Microsoft Surface Pro) may be an interesting experiment, if you manage to deal with UEFI using something like a generic UEFI-bootloader providing BIOS emulation (if there is something like that, and if it runs on a given portable PC). An interesting question would also be the video...

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:43:47 pm »
Dropbox client is available as beta. GA should be coming very soon now.

If you have a urgent need, ask me :)
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:05:43 pm »
How to organize a training class?

How to prevent damage to small computers (and defend them from that gangsters, alcoholics, public whores and other) "scum"?
PC Security (1995)
Security / 2

(c) Eugene Gorbunoff, 01/16/2013

--

Gifts for regular eComStation users

If you decide to get a bonus, send us your activity log!!!

(c) Eugene Gorbunoff, proposal for 2012 year.

--

Who will do the accounting for eComStation?

We will create accounting software in Rexx and overbeat them all them all them all (especially in terms of performance).

"EVERYTHING IS A STRING!"

(c) eCo Software, 08/07/2007

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »
Hi.

I don't think that is necessary to critize Eugene for what he does, we all know what he posts and it is not necessary to go into that topic again.

But I think that the general discussion about OS/2-eCS on mobile (tablets and phones) is interesting:

1) We require a tablet/phone that is complete compatible with x86 architecture (not ARM)
2) If it has a UEFI BIOS it needs to have compatibility mode with legacy BIOS.
3) We don't have bluetooth support, which is a basic thing on how mobile devices connect to other devices.
4) The GUI is not optimized for touch screen devices. We will need to use a mouse and keyboard which breaks a little bit the concept of a tablet/phone.
  - 4.1) We don't have a touch screen driver with support of "finger swipe" or "multifinger support".

uhm.... I sure there are a lot of other issues.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:51 pm »
Changing the subject a little bit.

Just as a thought I had been trying to find some kind of open source "application launcher" (just something that takes the full screen desktop and put some icons and allow it to re-arrange it) that is GUI is tablet/phone friendly.

For example:
- Windows 8 has that Metro thing that it is not open source.
- Android has its Launcher, but it run over Android to run Android apps.
- Lenovo used to have a software called "SimpleTap" (discontinued) that was a launcher over Win7 to have  a more touch screen friendly GUI.  This application used to have support for some HTML applications.  (Check screenshot) (...also Video).

Do you know any other open source "application launchers"?

It will be interesting to try to evaluate some of that to try to port them OS/2-eCS. Maybe there is a Qt4 launcher that looks good.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:27:14 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
Martin we already have something that will do that - warpcenter.  The only difference is that it is either at the bottom or top of the screen.

I use it to launch all the common programs from Describe through various file managers to a standard set of utilities. 

arr531

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:00:44 am »
The toolbar that has been there since Warp 3 is often overlooked and I think is still quite useful even today. It has a lot of customization and where it may not have some of the graphical fair that some of the other ones out there have it does have some features that other ones in other oses are just now adding or still do not have. If can make a person quite productive on the desktop. I make copies of the desktop icons and place them on the toolbar and then hide them from view on the desktop on the demo cd. I don't care about no bubble help for things since I just turn on the "Text on Drawers"  feature and works great.  I put all the program icons directly in the Programs folder; give it the same background as the desktop; assign a shortcut to it like "ALT-P" ; hide the menu for that window and have it opened maximized. It works for me but once again it might not have some of the small graphical flair that others have to have.

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »
I make copies of the desktop icons and place them on the toolbar and then hide them from view on the desktop on the demo cd. I don't care about no bubble help for things since I just turn on the "Text on Drawers"  feature and works great.  I put all the program icons directly in the Programs folder; give it the same background as the desktop; assign a shortcut to it like "ALT-P" ; hide the menu for that window and have it opened maximized. It works for me but once again it might not have some of the small graphical flair that others have to have.

Sorry, didn't get it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

WarpCenter and Launchpad may fall in the category of "application Launcher". But I'm looking for something that is full screen and that can also be a framework to run some specific apps (HTML or HTML5 for example). For example Win8 metro is not comparable to WarpCenter, Metro is a full screen app launcher and also has a proprietary way to build application for it. It does not have to run on OS/2 necessarily, I just want to see which does the other platforms has and if there is something comparable open source.

The final idea/question behind this question is, what will help OS/2 to have a more "touch screen" friendly GUI?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:26 pm »
Hi.

But I think that the general discussion about OS/2-eCS on mobile (tablets and phones) is interesting:

1) We require a tablet/phone that is complete compatible with x86 architecture (not ARM)
2) If it has a UEFI BIOS it needs to have compatibility mode with legacy BIOS.
3) We don't have bluetooth support, which is a basic thing on how mobile devices connect to other devices.
4) The GUI is not optimized for touch screen devices. We will need to use a mouse and keyboard which breaks a little bit the concept of a tablet/phone.
  - 4.1) We don't have a touch screen driver with support of "finger swipe" or "multifinger support".

uhm.... I sure there are a lot of other issues.

I looked it up about x86 phones. It seems there were some that was suppose to use x86 instead of Arm.
http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Leaves+Door+Open+to+x86+Windows+Phones+Teases+at+22+nm+Merrifield/article24864.htm
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1260222
I think it would be cool to have eCS on a smart phone, making it - IMO - even smarter.  8)

It seems there was suppose to be tablet computers that had x86.
http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/intel-unveils-x86-based-tablet-computers/
http://www.infoworld.com/d/computer-hardware/amd-sticking-x86-tablets-472

I am looking for more current information.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Search?SearchFacets=category:Tablet
Here are some tablet computers that use AMD as the CPU.

Perhaps the question would be how would one install eCS onto it? Perhaps if one used an USB keyboard and mouse, one could install eCS onto it?  8)
BigGoofyGuy

arr531

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 04:45:37 pm »
This is what I was talking about:

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,346.0.html

I didn't setup a Application Launcher window in this one but I have done it before.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
AMD launches Beema, Mullins chips for low power tablets and notebooks
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »
http://liliputing.com/2014/04/amd-launches-beema-mullins-chips-low-power-tablets-notebooks.html
It seems AMD is making cpu's / chips for low power tablets and notebooks.  8)

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/next-generation-mobile-2014apr29.aspx
'These new mobile APUs feature up to four newly-designed x86 CPU cores with updated'
It seems it is X86.  8)
BigGoofyGuy