Author Topic: driver trouble with Warp 3  (Read 42805 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: driver trouble with Warp 3
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 09:09:56 am »

What the heck? Who are you?

I'm sorry, but stfu & gtfo.

Calm down. If Mathias wants to get Warp V3 working well, well let him. I think that any good patches that he comes up with should be accepted and he should be encouraged to get Warp V3 working.

dbanet

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 10:56:48 am »

What the heck? Who are you?

I'm sorry, but stfu & gtfo.

Calm down. If Mathias wants to get Warp V3 working well, well let him. I think that any good patches that he comes up with should be accepted and he should be encouraged to get Warp V3 working.
No problem, I'm quitting the discussion.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »
Hi Boris.

I appreciate the work you do to help people with OS/4 kernel and trying to bring more communication about that project to us, but please stop this kind of comments.

You don't need to disqualify people of what they think. Please keep the conversation in a good tone. There is no reason on getting upset, all of us at the OS/2 community had suffer in the past every kind of frustration, desperation and trolling. Now there is not need to turn into that, we are an small community and we need everyone pushing to the same side.

Let's try to be awesome instead of frustrated.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 04:10:19 pm »
Yep, otherwise I could understand why people aren't staying in the community for long, if it is forbidden to ask questions out of curiosity.
I am a newbe when it comes to OS/2. I don't know much, so I do ask. If that hurts your feelings, I am sorry. Wasn't my intention. I can assure you, nothing was meant as an offense from my side m8.
Please accept my apology.

Mathias

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »
Hi Mathias.

There is nothing to apology for.  You can ask the hard questions without problem.

For example, if someone asks me if OS/2 Warp/eComStation is better than Linux and Windows, I can not make a clear answer. Windows/Linux has modern UI, drivers, bigger communities, but OS/2 is the OS preference of my choice. It is not about a feature by feature war anymore, it is about what people like to use and their right/need to collaborate together for a common goal.

Am I going to twist somebody's arm forcing him/her to use OS/2-eCS?  Absolutely not :)

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »
sounds cool to me :)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »
You need 3.3.5 installed before you can install any newer GCC versions, don't know if it'll work on V3 as no-one tests.

Yup, working fine. :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 07:03:59 pm »
You need 3.3.5 installed before you can install any newer GCC versions, don't know if it'll work on V3 as no-one tests.

Yup, working fine. :)

That's good to hear as I'm sure at one point it was broken.  Now you should be able to run most everything though you are going to run into memory shortages.

dbanet

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 11:45:16 pm »
Hi Boris.

I appreciate the work you do to help people with OS/4 kernel and trying to bring more communication about that project to us, but please stop this kind of comments.

You don't need to disqualify people of what they think. Please keep the conversation in a good tone. There is no reason on getting upset, all of us at the OS/2 community had suffer in the past every kind of frustration, desperation and trolling. Now there is not need to turn into that, we are an small community and we need everyone pushing to the same side.

Let's try to be awesome instead of frustrated.

Regards

Sure, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:59:35 pm by Boris »

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 05:22:32 am »
Just to toss in $0.02, for me it all depends on what I want to run.  I do keep some copies of Warp 3 around, I also have Warp 4 and eCS.

If I'm looking to run the more up to date stuff that is available for OS/2 then no doubt I'll use my eCS desktop.

However for some stuff, I find that Warp 3 does quite well. 

As an example, I have a machine set up as a print / file / web / ftp / MySQL / time / plus a few other things server.  All of that stuff runs fine under Warp 3, the computer I have it running on runs fine on Warp 3, and since I  have  6 Warp 3 licenses kicking around I didn't really see a need to purchase an eCS license for that computer.

Another Warp 3 box I have running is mainly being used for its DOS support.  Its got a custom hardware card in it which came out around 15 or so years ago and only has DOS software to make it work (its actually at a radio station I do support for).  Originally the software was never written to be TCP/IP aware (although it will take commands via a serial port) I found that by using the DOS support in OS/2 and writing a few REXX scripts,  I can control the system over the internet.  While I'm sure I could make it work on Warp 4 or eCS, it runs just as well on Warp 3's dos support.  Note that I probably could have achieved the same result under Linux, although it likely would have taken a little more work and troubleshooting to get working.

I've also got an older Compaq laptop (a P2, about 15 years old) that I've used as a demo of what it was like using laptops / computers 15 years ago.  Its got Warp 3 and Win98 on a dual-boot (boot manager!) basis.

Even though it is old, Warp 3 can still have a place.  Although I agree that some of the memory limitations it has do limit what newer apps can be made to run on it.

And just for full disclosure, I also use Linux and Windows (XP and 7) on a regular basis.