Author Topic: driver trouble with Warp 3  (Read 42765 times)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
driver trouble with Warp 3
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:19:02 am »
Hi ^^/ name's Mathias; 33 years - I'm new to the site and forums.

I was running Warp 3 (Release 8.162) in the 90ies on a 486 DX2-66 using an "ATI Mach 64" as graphics card, which is supported by default in Warp 3.
Back then I fell in love with Warp 3 and was using it mostly to run DOS games (as memmaker was no longer regquired with Warp 3). - Also had a look into PMREXX, CoBOL and some more.
The look and feel was intuitive and was just lovely. - And I've missed it!!

Now I had the chance to rebuild my 486er on hardware basis. - THAT works... just the ATI Mach 64 does not anymore. :(
So.. for the time being .. until I have ebay'ed another Mach64, I thought .. why not try Warp 3 with Oracle's VirtualBox? - Said, done.

Warp 3 booted nicely in 640x480x16 mode using the default VGA driver. Keyboard mapping, etc everything works. - Even network with TCP! \o/

Now, for starters, I'd like to have some resolution like 1024x768 or greater if possible. - So, there is an OS/2 driver pack included with VirtualBox - Cool! Following the brief instructions ... it failed to work. On boot, Warp 3 tells me that it failed to load the shortly replaced gengradd.dll. - Continued booting .. and it looked the same as before: 640x480x16. :o

So, the VBox driver doesn't work. In general it does not say which version of Warp is supported in the first place. Do they mean 2? 3? 4?
Perhaps there is an alternative, that I don't know! But maybe YOU do? ^^*

Also! I have heard about Warp Fix Packs. I have, so far, not installed any, also not back then.
As there is a whole lot of them [http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/os2/system/patches/fixpack/warp_3], I've got a few questions:
1) Does installing such a fix pack help with my problem?
2) Are ALL these files required, or just the latest one?
3) What does all the stuff mean "OS/2 Warp 3.x family FixPack XR_W010 - Disk 2" and "OS/2 Warp 3.x family FixPack XR_W007 - Disk 1" - quite confusing... which do I need @_@
4) Are these compatible with the german localized Warp 3 version? - And if not, is there another source for these?

So far.. - Already big thanks for reading all this! And maybe YOU can even answer some of these questions. - And pleease... I am not new to Warp, but a newbie, when it comes to techical interna. - I DO want to learn and to read instruction manuals! Just.. when it gets too confusing, I rather ask.. oo;

Hope you can help. - In case you need more info (which is likely the case), please ask. : )

~ Warp ~

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: driver trouble with Warp 3
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:55:46 am »
Hi Mathias

Welcome to OS2World.

So, the VBox driver doesn't work.
Maybe you can try the Scitech Snap video drivers. To be honest I have not tried it on Warp 3, but you can make a backup of you VM and try it out.

Here are the files:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-viewer.php?dir=/pub/os2/system/drivers/video&file=snap-os2-3.1.8.zip

1) Does installing such a fix pack help with my problem?
I'm not sure if the latest fixpack for Warp 3 can solve your video problems, but it is always a good exercise to try to put Warp 3 to the latest fixpack level.

2) Are ALL these files required, or just the latest one?
You require only the last one. You do not need to install the older fixpacks.

3) What does all the stuff mean "OS/2 Warp 3.x family FixPack XR_W010 - Disk 2" and "OS/2 Warp 3.x family FixPack XR_W007 - Disk 1" - quite confusing... which do I need @_@
XR_W007 and XR_W010 are the name of the fixpacks for the US language. A German fixpack is for example "XRGW042" which means Fixpack 42 in German.

4) Are these compatible with the german localized Warp 3 version? - And if not, is there another source for these?
The latest fixpack for Warp 3 German I was able to find was "xrgw042". (It is Fixpak 42)
All the files are here: ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/german/xrgw042/

Now you have to remember how to install a Fixpack from the hard disk :)

Please, everybody is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on this reply.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 03:08:48 am »
Wow! That was fast! :)
Thanks a lot Martin! I will try this out immediately after getting up later on. :) - Got late (03am already >_<) and I need sleep - Lucky me, got a free day hrhr

I'll report back with the results o/

Mathias

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:51:41 am »
You need at least FP35 on Warp V3 for Scitech and probably plain Gradd drivers.
Also be aware that the latest VirtualBox has a broken Gradd driver.
There are other fixes you should install such as the 32 bit network stack. This site used to be a pretty good listing. Some links are probably dead but Google's your friend. http://web.archive.org/web/20060926004818/www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english/site_contents.html

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:07:17 am »
FixPaks explained in general: http://www.altsan.org/os2/fixpaks/index.html

The easiest way of downloading and installing a FixPak: http://www.altsan.org/os2/fixpaks/index.html

I believe you want FixPak 40 German, about halfway down the first table, which was the last free FixPak for Warp 3.  (FixPak 42 and 43 are newer, but only installable on Warp Server unless you have the special subscription versions from IBM).

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:46:50 am »
Hi,

Unless you want to go hacking syslevel files, then you are best to stick with Fixpak 40.  For the base Warp 3 (the  client desktop version)  the last fixpak that IBM released was 40.  Warp Server (the server version built on top of Warp 3) did come out with Fixpak's 41 and 42, these both can be made to work on Warp 3 desktop, however it is unsupported and there are a few files that can introduce instabilities on the client version.  40 is pretty stable and fixes the majority of the issues.

To get GRADD or SNAP to work you will need at least Fixpak 35, however I recommend 40 since it fixed some of the problems that still existed in 35.

Note that I've only used Warp 3 on real hardware, I have no idea if the following suggestions work on Virtualbox.  Having said that, not long ago (about 4 months) I had to set up 2 Warp 3 machines on newer hardware.  Here's some tips.

For starters, make sure you've got a copy of unzip (I normally use the info-zip unzip app), also you'll want  DSKXTRCT from Hobbes in order to extract the DSK files to  a folder on your hard disk (they're the ones meant to be extracted to a floppy, but no one wants to use a floppy anymore)

Here's where to find dskxtrct:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=dskxtrct&pushbutton=Search

The easiest way to install a Fixpak is to use the RSU version of the fixpak.  Grab all the xrgw* files from:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xrgw040/

Then grab the CSF Service utility (the one modified to let you install from a hard disk):

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/csf143.zip

Unzip all the XRGW* files into a single directory / folder, and unzip the CSF file into another folder.

As an example the last time I set up a Warp 3 machine (about 4 months ago), I set up the following folders:

c:\fp40

c:\service

I unzipped all the XR* files into c:\fp40, and unzipped the csf file into c:\service

Also, I created a folder called c:\archive (where the FP utility will put the archived copies of the files it replaces)

Then from a command prompt, I switched into the c:\service folder:

cd c:\service

and ran the command:

os2serv c:\service\csf c:\fp40

Okay, now here's the part where I'm going by memory so it may not be 100% exact, but it should be close (I'm using a Linux machine to respond to this message tonight)

After a while it'll pop up with a CSF utility screen, it'll list a couple of products it can service (it should list OS/2 and MMPM).  Click on the OS list entry, then there is an "Advanced" check box that you can select - go ahead and tick that off.  And hit install (or something like that).  In a moment it'll pop up with the CSF install utility that you've possibly seen from days of old (the one which used to require you to play floppy-disk-toaster to install the thing - don't worry - it'll install from the hard disk this time).

It'll give you the same list of both the base OS and the Multimedia stuff - highlite them both and chose the install option again.  It'll then give you the option for where you want your backup folder (or archive folder) to be, type in your c:\archive that you created earlier.

Then hit okay - it'll give you a warning about some of the files which it won't process until it does a reboot, go ahead and select the OK (or allow it to process them on reboot) option, it should start applying the fixpak.

For some reason the last time I did this it came up on some files which it felt were newer on the hard disk then on the fixpak, I'm not sure why since the fixpak dates from around 1998, the original release came out in 1994.  Go ahead and replace the files, unless they relate to one of the drivers that needed to be replaced to get the thing to run (such as ibm1s506, or the likes).

Once done it'll give you a message that it needs a reboot - go ahead and reboot.

Note, once you get Fixpak 40 installed, if you've gone with the base TCP/IP 3.0 that comes with Warp Connect you may also want to install TCP/IP fixpak UNG0959 too - it'll add a bunch of fixes for TCP/IP.  It is at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v3.1os2/un00959/german/

For UN0959 you'll need dskxtrct (they're all in .dsk files), see my note above on that.  Be sure to create another folder on your hard disk for this.  The process to start the CSF install for the TCP/IP fixpak install is the same as with the FP40 above, just substitute the directory containing the fixpak in your command line.

Once you get TCP/IP UN0959 successfully installed - reboot.  You can check your tcp/ip version from the command line with an inetver command - and see if your TCP/IP is working.

If you want you can then try to install the 32 bit MPTS stack - which will replace the TCP/IP stuff with the 32 bit version.  Most of the time the 32 bit MPTS works on Warp 3, however I have heard some stories talking of difficulty (I've never experienced difficulty)

The base MPTS 32 bit install is:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/german/wrg8610_conv/

For that one you'll also need dskstrct to extract the files (create another folder to install from).  When extracted, there will be an mpts.exe file in the folder - run that and it will start up the installation routine.

The base WR8610 is buggy, so you'll need to then install the WR8621 fixpak, at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/german/wrg8621/

And then even with the 8621 fixpak, TCP/IP still has a habbit of hanging, so you'll need to grab the newstack.zip update from Hobbes:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=newstack&stype=all&sort=type_name&dir=%2F

If you want to track the version levels of TCP/IP from the command line, you can run inetver each time and see what level it is at.

If you've installed the IBM Peer services, you'll need the Peer fixpak, for Warp 3 (German) it is at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/lan/fixes/ibm.peer/german/ipg8196/

Are we having fun yet?

The other issue that can happen on some Warp 3 machines (and Warp 4 also had this difficulty on some machines too) is that it won't see memory above 64 Megs.  This has to do with how the loader handles initial memory allocation (or something like that).  To find out if your machine is affected, grab from Hobbes something like countmem and see what it reports.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=countmem.zip&stype=all&sort=type_name&dir=%2Fpub%2Fos2%2Futil%2Fmemory

If you find that you're only seeing 64 megs, then grab patchldr.zip from Hobbes  and try it.  It'll patch the loader to allow OS/2 to see more then 64 megs.  I've had to use it on quite a number of the systems I've set up with Warp 3.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=patchldr.zip&stype=all&sort=type_name&dir=%2F

Okay, I think I've got most of the stuff  here that you'll need to get you up and running a stable system.  I might be missing something, if I am then I can try and figure it out with my actual Warp 3 system. 

Fahrvenugen

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:55:15 am by Fahrvenugen »

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:26 am »
Hi again,

One thing I didn't think to ask - are you running Warp 3 Connect, or just plain Warp 3 (without the Connect stuff)?

If you're running Warp 3 (non-connect) with just the Internet Access Kit from the Bonuspack, then things can get a little more interesting.

Do an inetver at the command line - if it says anything about tcp/ip version 2 (or if the box does not contain the word "connect" on it) then you're probably running the original Warp with the Bonuspack internet access kit - based on an even earlier version of TCP/IP - Version 2.0.

I could be incorrect, but I *think* the the important updates for version 2 are at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v2.0os2/un64092/

with the latest stack being at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v2.0os2/latest/stack/

There is a whole bunch of updates for TCP/IP V2.0, I can't recall what you actually need and what you don't:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v2.0os2/

Originally Warp 3 (the non-connect version) was not shipped with any network drivers - it was only set up to access the internet via dialup modem (using difficult-to-configure PPP software at that).  If you wanted the full network stuff you were supposed to buy the Connect version.  But...  If I recall correctly (and this is going back many years - the last time I used a non-connect version of Warp 3 was a long time ago) it is possible to add the 16 bit version of MPTS to a non-connect version of Warp 3 with the Internet Access Kit by downloading it directly from IBM.  I *think* that TCP/IP 2.0 was limited to the 16 bit MPTS - if I recall there were reports that it didn't like the 32 bit stack, but it has been so long ago I could be incorrect on that.

The 16 bit mpts installation can be found at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/german/wrg8423_conv/

And of course there is a fixpack for it at:

ftp://ps.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/german/wrg8425_conv/

Note that IBM did not officially support running the full 16 bit MPTS on the non-connect version of Warp 3 (and some have suggested this may not be supported by the MPTS license).  At this point I'm not sure IBM is all that concerned about the way an individual user uses a license on Warp 3 (a 20 year old product), and of course IBM no longer supports Warp 3 at all (at least not for consumers) however it is worth the note of caution if you are concerned about such things.

Of course if you're running Warp 3 connect, then you can ignore all this TCP/IP Version 2 / MPTS 16 bit stuff.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:31:18 am by Fahrvenugen »

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 12:19:44 pm »
WOW! : )

Many thanks! You guys are the best! Currently reading through everything, going to take action afterwards.

Fahrvenugen: This version of Warp 3 was included with my PC, that I got back then. (Was (and still is) my first PC.) - Looking onto the OS2 package, I cannot find anything saying "connect". So I suppose it is the earlier version with the dialup application in the "Bonus Pak".

Running "inetver" on the OS2 prompt, returns "Inet Version: 4.00e". - Yup without the connect appendix.

Most interesting thing for me is now, how to get all these patches and fixes into my Warp Vbox, as the VBox drivers with file integration to the host system do not work (yet).
Is there anything like wget or something to load files via the (already working) network via TCP?

If everything fails, I download and prepare all the files in linux, run mkisofs and mount the blob as a CD into Warp3... hmm.. could work. : )

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 02:35:48 pm »
Is there anything like wget or something to load files via the (already working) network via TCP?

If everything fails, I download and prepare all the files in linux, run mkisofs and mount the blob as a CD into Warp3... hmm.. could work. : )

There is wget for OS/2, but I think that the best option now is make an CD ISO with all the patches that you need. The issue is that Warp 3 is so old (and you are not using the Connect version) that you don't have installed the required tool to access the Internet (IMHO).

Maybe someone can share the road to have Internet Access on Warp 3. I remember that need to install MPTN (so you can install the network adpter), TCP/IP a browser, etc.

It can be interesting to try to write an article about how putting Warp 3 up to date. I have one about Warp 4.52 on the Wiki. I will have to think a little bit about it.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »
current status is:

FixPak 40 for Warp3 DE: successfully applied!
updating TCP/IP with fixpak UNG0959: missing connect package --> failed

Details:
The fixpack installation replaced the following things:

Code: [Select]
C:\MMOS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.MPM XRG3000 - the "IBM Multimedia presentation Manager/2"
C:\OS2IMAGE\DISK_1\SYSLEVEL.OS2 XRG3000 - the "IBM OS/2 Base operating system"
C:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.OS2 XRG3000 - the "IBM OS/2 Base operating system"

[_] Advanced  [X] Timestamp Log  [_] Replace newer

--> GO

was following the progress in the full screen patching screen, as fixtool recommended.
Suddenly everything was closed, and an error messagebox appeard, saying:
"Install failed, RC 1. Check C:\OS2\INSTALL\Service.Log for information"
[OK]

Looking into that Service.Log file, I can see it replaced maany many files, some were already up2date, most were not.
At the end of the file, it says:
Corrective service has been successfully applied. Ended, RC 1
Install failed, RC 1. Check C:\OS2\INSTALL\Service.Log for information

so.. did it finish successfully or did it not?! ;-) - Anyway.. I think it was successful, as a search in the Log file brought up, that only patching the windows integration in OS2 did not work. - But that is ok, as it is not installed or needed.)

Did a proper shutdown and rebooted the machine.
Everything still working. No change in optics yet.
Shutdown. Creating a VBox snapshot. Starting again.

--> Continuing the process, and updating TCP/IP with fixpak UNG0959.
Brought up an error message:
No serviceable products found on your harddisk. No match between CSD Level and COMPID of any product found by SYSLEVEL command and those supported by this FixPak.

--> appears like I need to install that connect package..... MPTS it was, right? --> checking this out..

Yeah, I think IBM and those who bought the license for OS/2 cannot make profit from OS/2 Warp 3 still. It's not like that I am trying to fiddle with their current eComStation, but with an operating system, that has already died 20 years ago. So, why not upgrade it to full a full scale usable product.. : )

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 03:42:14 pm »
Hi,

This was a pre-load?  Things might be different then!

TCP/IP Version 4.0 was introduced with Warp 4, I'm not sure why it would be on Warp 3, unless it was a unique version that I havn't seen (which is possible)

If you've got network access via a network card already then you've already got a version of MPTS of some level.

Run syslevel from a command prompt.

What is the syslevel.tcp output?  That'll tell us which  tcp/ip you have

There should also be one for mpts and such.

If you can do that, then we can help figure out which fixpaks apply.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 03:48:57 pm »
Now that you mention it, I think there was at some time an application that someone wrote to allow for the automatic download and install of a lot of these fixes, I seem to recall it was set up for Warp 3 and Warp 4 - to scan your system, figure out what to install, and install it.  Does anyone have the URL to that site?

This app was different from the RSUINSTL.EXE one that IBM came out with, but used some of the same techniques for install.  I'm not sure if it is even still around, a quick google and I'm not finding it.

Martin - maybe one of these days I'll work on an article for the wiki about getting Warp 3 up and running.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:55:08 pm by Fahrvenugen »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 04:30:46 pm »
There was os2mt but the web site now is about food (cooking) and in Cyrillic.
mailto:info@os2mt.tk
http://www.os2mt.tk

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 05:16:15 pm »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 05:51:41 pm »
Whoa, an auto-installer would be convenient indeed! - Still, everything that is automated takes knowledge away, that would else be required to install things manually. Not sure if that would be good, but deeeefinitely a help to automatically extract all these disk images atleast, as Warp 3 appears to lack file name auto-complete via the TAB key, which I grew used to over the years.... *g*

Mhm.. not sure which version of Warp 3 I've got. Just that it is "Warp 3 Release 8.162", according to ver /r on the OS/2 prompt. - This is when it is freshly installed from the original CD. Out of the BonusPak-CD, I have only installed the "IBM Internet Connection for OS/2". - That is how TCP came on my machine.
I still lack commands like ftp or telnet.. or a browser though.
Ping, arp and the like does work, even DNS names can be used.

Anyway. After applying the FixPak 40 for Warp3 "ver /r" does now return: "Warp 3 Release 8.264"

Now here is the output of the syslevel command (I better post everything, might come in handy for further diagnosis)
C:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.SDS
Distributed SOM Framework
Version 2.01.6 Component ID 562222700
Current CSD-Level: SM20012
Previous CSD-Level: none

C:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.SEM
SOM Event Management Framework
Version 2.01.6 Component ID 562222700
Current CSD-Level: SM20012
Previous CSD-Level: none

C:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.SUT