Author Topic: eCS on an eCS board based computer?  (Read 11215 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
eCS on an eCS board based computer?
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »
http://liliputing.com/2014/05/120-ecs-motherboard-features-intels-fastest-bay-trail-cpu.html
Since this is just a board, perhaps it would be easier to install eComStation on it?  8)

BigGoofyGuy

Pete

• View Profile
Re: eCS on an eCS board based computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:23:15 pm »
Hi Tom

Looks like a nice fanless board with a capable cpu - should be fairly quiet  :-).
Does raise a couple of immediate questions:-

1] Can you plug SATA2 drives into SATA3 connectors? - note no SATA2 connectors - and will the current DANIS506 or AHCI  driver work with SATA3?

2] Will the Panorama video driver work the on-CPU Intel graphics? - note no PCI-e slot for a separate graphics card.

Once the above questions are resolved you then need to think about a couple of other bits. I had a look for some mainboard specs to help and found some here
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1525&CategoryID=1&MenuID=17&LanID=0#fragment-SPEC

Firstly a correction to question 1] above: the ECS webpage above shows this for Storage
2 X Serial ATAII 3Gb/s
Looks like http://liliputing.com/2014/05/120-ecs-motherboard-features-intels-fastest-bay-trail-cpu.html got that wrong.
So question 1] becomes moot; you should be able to connect 2 SATA2 drives and access them using either DANIS506 or AHCI.

3] NIC - above page shows this to be a Realtek RTL8111G Gigabit Ethernet Controller which may work with the latest Realtek driver from eCS

4] Audio - above page shows this to be a VIA VT1705 6-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC. Sorry, no idea if this works with the current uniaud driver

With 3] and 4] it is a bit of a case of "suck it and see"  ;-)

I guess you could use a wireless nic for networking as the specs include
1 X Mini PCI Express X1 slot(s) for Wi-Fi /Blutooth modules

What you would need to install in that slot would be an older wireless nic such as an Intel 3945ABG - pointless installing an "N rated" nic as nobody seems to be able to get these working with eCS.

Regards

Pete

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »
Thank you for the reply. It was very informative and much appreciated.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:26:26 pm »
What you would need to install in that slot would be an older wireless nic such as an Intel 3945ABG - pointless installing an "N rated" nic as nobody seems to be able to get these working with eCS.
Pete
I have the Intel 5100 BGN working here and N works.  I know a few others have also been successful with it, though I know of at least one who has not been but I haven't been able to figure out why.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:36:35 pm »
Hi Andy

Sorry, I stand corrected. I guess I should have said "The last time I checked N was not working".

I wonder if I could swap an Intel 5100 BGN for the Dell 1510N (Broadcom BCM43 series nic) fitted to my Dell E5500 laptop... What driver would I need?

Regards

Pete

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:10:13 am »
Build one and let us know. I like the PS/2 ports. I have old KVMs that use PS/2. Can this machine use more than 512 MB or does it have the limit that many new Intel machines have.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:07 pm »
Hi Andy

Sorry, I stand corrected. I guess I should have said "The last time I checked N was not working".
I wonder if I could swap an Intel 5100 BGN for the Dell 1510N (Broadcom BCM43 series nic) fitted to my Dell E5500 laptop... What driver would I need?
Regards
Pete
Get GenMU_TEST-0-2-7.wpi from ftp://genmac <AT> ftp.os2voice.org and when prompted for password use unsupported.  It should have the Intel 5100 driver.  It works here, I did run into a problem similar to the one reported where the wireless never showed any available APs with a clean install on the same hardware.  I would have to go through a series of disabling and enabling before I could get it to see the APs but I had enough other problems with the install that I swapped HDDs back around and have not looked into it further.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:47:52 am »
Hi Andy

Well, I removed the Dell 1510N wireless nic from my Dell E5500 laptop and installed an Intel 5100abgn wireless nic.

Checked it worked fine with Windows7, shrank the Windows7 volume, installed eCS2.2 beta2, installed genmac and the Intel 5100 driver from GenMU_TEST-0-2-7.wpi

I now have a Dell E5500 with wireless connectivity - but, if speed 54Mbps is anything to go by, it is not using N when booted from eCS. Maybe I need to do some sort of tweaking somewhere?

Regards

Pete

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:24 am »
I now have a Dell E5500 with wireless connectivity - but, if speed 54Mbps is anything to go by, it is not using N when booted from eCS. Maybe I need to do some sort of tweaking somewhere?
54 certainly suggests you are only connecting at G and not N.  I am not sure what to tweak though, the files included in the package are the ones that connect with N for me (currently showing 72).  I am fairly sure I had the speeds with the original wpa_suplicant but I do currently have the latest build from Paul Smedley:
http://os2ports.smedley.id.au/index.php?page=wpa-supplicant
I am now also running xwlan 3.12 but had the speeds with the earlier one too.  It does connect faster under Windows?  The router I have at home only has 144, which it starts at but always drops below that.  At work I have a router can connect at 300.