Author Topic: VirtualBox and Skype problem  (Read 10502 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
VirtualBox and Skype problem
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:30 am »
I've got XP installed in VirtualBox 1.6.1_ose and Skype installed in XP and Skype works except for sound. Turns out this version of VirtualBox when installed in eCS (beta ll) will not allow sound to work as the only option available for sound is "null" which allows recognicion of the Soundblaster driver but won't allow sound to evolve. Does anyone know of a fix for this or is it necessary to use a much newer version of VirtualBox? It probably will need a newer version of VirtualBox and then the question is -- is there any work being done to upgrade VirtualBox? The sources are available.
Thanks for any available info.

klipp

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox and Skype problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »
I don't have an impression that there is an active effort to port an updated version of Virtual Box to OS/2-eCS.   Perhaps you might have better luck with a slightly earlier version of Virtual Box for OS/2 hosts, perhaps: VirtualBox 1-5-6 build 9.wpi ?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:49:43 pm »
Sound does not work in the port of vbox that we have for an OS/2 host.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:05:36 pm »
You might try: ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/uniaud32-19226-vpc.zip which is supposed to allow UniAud to handle VPC output. It may help with VBox too.

I don't have an impression that there is an active effort to port an updated version of Virtual Box to OS/2-eCS.

Paul Smedley pokes away at it, when he runs out of more important things to do (almost never happens).

FWIW, I have manged to get VBox sound to work, but not well enough to actually try using it. It seems to work better when the guest uses the oldest available driver setting (sound blaster 16).

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »
Hey, Thanks Doug! --- That's something I never even thought of trying -- I'll give it a shot. Kinda hate to bug Paul as busy as he is (I think we need to get him CLONED!). I'm also having problems getting GCC482 to cooperate compiling but I'm sure its me that is screwed up in that area so bugging Paul will be a last resort "after I've gotten all my ducks in a row".

thanks again,  klipp

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 12:20:31 am »
I don't have an impression that there is an active effort to port an updated version of Virtual Box to OS/2-eCS.

Paul Smedley pokes away at it, when he runs out of more important things to do (almost never happens).
He does? Have you asked him? In reality, he essentially hasn't touched it since the last binary in 2008.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:01:54 am »

He does? Have you asked him? In reality, he essentially hasn't touched it since the last binary in 2008.

[/quote]

Was that Klippsteins cloned Paul replying?)