OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

eCS 2.2 YUM/RPM question

(1/7) > >>

Sigurd Fastenrath:
I am not interested in a debate wheter it makes sence or not to include YUM/RPM in eCS, there are several other places do discuss this.

Some questions came to my mind related to this:

The readme of YUM/RPM advice to have a partition with at least 5GB space for it

If so needed, does that mean

1. there is a minimum space of 6GB required for a "full" install of eCS 2.2?

2. will the installer quit if there is less or deselect RPM/YUM applications (JAVA, ODIN, QT I guess)

3. has YUM/RPM to be installed on the boot drive or is it possible to install it on a seperate drive?

4. or do one have to have two partitions for the installation (one for OS one for YUM/RPM) allways?

5. If it is necessary to install YUM/RPM on the bootdrive - does it will go in a seperate folder or "mess up" the whole boot drive with the needed folder structure?

Thanks for bringing some light here.

Andy Willis:
I have not seen the 2.2 installer and I am not associated with Mensys or Serenity so this is in no way authoritative but just reasoning from what I do know.
1.  This would only be true if the answer to ? 3 is that RPM/YUM must be on the boot drive (as the question comes from the RPM/YUM readme).
2.  I do not know if RPM/YUM will be installed if you do not select installing anything that requires it or if it will also have its own selection etc.
3.  RPM/YUM can be installed to another partition so I would expect the eCS installer would allow that as well.  The same partition you install RPM/YUM to will also be where everything it installs goes to.
4.  There is no reason a requirement for multiple partitions would exist if someone were to want one large partition with OS and RPM/YUM and applications installed to.
5.  If RPM/YUM had to be put to the boot drive then it would mess up the whole boot drive.  RPM/YUM might be put into a separate folder with its structure under by setting the unixroot=X:\rpmyum but the readme says that is untested but I don't know if there are any known issues with it.  I haven't seen anything in the RPM/YUM timeline suggesting any fixes have been made to RPM/YUM to allow it if there are any known issue (or whether anyone has tested that there are no issues so that it will just be allowed).  As the readme has a warning about not being on the root of the drive I doubt the eCS installer will be setup to put it into its own folder but I can't say that hasn't been addressed either.

ivan:
Andy, thank you for trying to answer the questions but it would be nice to have definitive answers to those questions from the developers.

Sigurd Fastenrath:

--- Quote from: ivan on January 18, 2013, 12:52:15 am ---Andy, thank you for trying to answer the questions but it would be nice to have definitive answers to those questions from the developers.

--- End quote ---

Sorry for this "double posting" at ecomstation yahoogroup as well, I wanted to start there but my first text there seemed not to reach the group, but then it appeared about half an hour after I wrote it.
So there is some more information here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/eComStation/message/87747

Thanks for all the answers but it is still not clear to me.

melf:
Mensys (Roderick) gave some  answers on news.ecomstation.com (support.misc) for a couple of days ago. However I can't find them anymore. That was to some degree informative but I still also find it unclear.

The message to my own questions  was that 1) yum/rpm could be installed on an optional drive, 2) that there was, so far, no easy way to trace where a package of files had been installed; it was said that a GUI possibly could contribute with that and that a GUI was planned.

My own plan is to give yum/rpm a good try, I think on a separate computer, to see how it works and feels in the longer term.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version