OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

eCS 2.2 YUM/RPM question

<< < (6/7) > >>

Alex Taylor:

--- Quote from: Sigurd Fastenrath on January 30, 2013, 11:09:30 am ---Thanks for all the answers, but I still have no idea about my questions:

1. there is a minimum space of 6GB required for a "full" install of eCS 2.2? +
3. has YUM/RPM to be installed on the boot drive or is it possible to install it on a seperate drive?
(as these depend on each other)

--- End quote ---

I thought I answered these about two weeks ago on the eCS mailing list.  However, I'll answer again.

1. No.  A default install I think takes a bit less than 1GB, but you will obviously want extra space on whatever drive you keep applications, data, and/or your temporary directory.  That has always been the case, irrespective of RPM/YUM.

3. No, you can install it on any drive as long as it supports long filenames.

--- Quote ---2. will the installer quit if there is less or deselect RPM/YUM applications (JAVA, ODIN, QT I guess)
4. or do one have to have two partitions for the installation (one for OS one for YUM/RPM) allways?
5. If it is necessary to install YUM/RPM on the bootdrive - does it will go in a seperate folder or "mess up" the whole boot drive with the needed folder structure?

--- End quote ---

2.  No, the installer will not quit.  If you deselect RPM/YUM in Advanced install, then Odin, Flash, Java and Qt4 will also be automatically deselected.

4. No. 

5. It is not necessary, so: no.  Whatever drive you install on, by default three directories will be used: /var, /etc and /usr.  I acknowledge this is somewhat awkward as you already have an %ETC% directory and a /var directory which may end up separate.  However, there is no way for us to change this, given how RPM is designed.  We recommend thinking of it like this: RPM installs a self-contained "sandbox" for Unix-ported applications.  Those applications will use the RPM-managed directories; other applications will use the "regular" directories.

That said: The installer (in Advanced mode) simply asks where you want the RPM root path to be.  It defaults to the root directory of a drive.   However, it is theoretically possible to enter a subdirectory (e.g. "x:\rpm") instead, in which case all the RPM directories will be created under that.  We do not encourage users to do this, as there is no guarantee that all RPM-managed applications will support this kind of setup.  (The ones included with eCS do seem to work this way, though.)

--- Quote ---Sorry, but I am not able to find the answers to that - "simple" - questions.

As far as I understand the whole YUM/RPM is needed to install ODIN and QT - as JAVA and Flash are not ready....

--- End quote ---

True, but since Java and Flash depend on Odin, they can't be installed via the eCS installer without RPM as well.  (You can perfectly well install them yourself later, of course, if you know how.)

--- Quote ---The most important questions of these are to me:

Does YUM/RPM hast to be installed on the Bootdrive and will it go in a seperat folder?

Might it be possible to answer this easy question with an easy YES or NO?  - > Thanks in Advance!

--- End quote ---

No; and, it depends.  See above.

Alex Taylor:

--- Quote from: ivan on January 29, 2013, 01:06:05 am ---Thanks for that bit of information Alex.  When you say view them do you mean just getting a list or actually extracting them - in other words do we now have a fully functional 7z?

--- End quote ---

Yes, you can extract them.  It uses either 7z or rpm2cpio, depending on which one it can find in the PATH, plus cpio.

--- Quote from: ivan on January 31, 2013, 01:40:36 pm ---Likewise Doug, all my applications are on one partition and where possible the data produced is on yet another.  The boot partition has OS/2 and that is it.

--- End quote ---

This is good policy, IMO.

--- Quote ---Must it be on the boot partition or can it be on another and if on another will it allow multiple boot partitions?  That is the question that must be answered!

--- End quote ---

It has been answered, repeatedly.  I don't see what the confusion is.  It can go on any partition and is entirely self-contained.

--- Quote ---At the moment there appears to be a move towards emulating windows with everything being placed in the boot partition.  As far as I can see this is a retrograde step and should be resisted. 

--- End quote ---

Why do you seem to have this impression?  Who has ever said that it has to be on the boot drive?  It does not.

ivan:
Thanks again Alex.

--- Quote from: Alex Taylor on February 01, 2013, 07:48:40 pm ---

--- Quote ---Must it be on the boot partition or can it be on another and if on another will it allow multiple boot partitions?  That is the question that must be answered!

--- End quote ---

It has been answered, repeatedly.  I don't see what the confusion is.  It can go on any partition and is entirely self-contained.

--- Quote ---At the moment there appears to be a move towards emulating windows with everything being placed in the boot partition.  As far as I can see this is a retrograde step and should be resisted. 

--- End quote ---

Why do you seem to have this impression?  Who has ever said that it has to be on the boot drive?  It does not.

--- End quote ---

To answer the first part.  I have seen conflicting statements about where it could go and nothing definitive about it working with different boot partitions. 

Since you have a hand in the installer for eCS then I can now take it that it will work from a common partition for more than one boot drive on the same machine.

The second part is an impression I have received, maybe erroneously, from comments on various news groups and to a lesser extent here, but again I rely on your knowledge of the inner workings to show that is a wrong impression.  I do have one question though, why does an eCS install default to using %bootdrive%/programs and %bootdrive%/home?

Alex Taylor:

--- Quote from: ivan on February 01, 2013, 11:07:56 pm ---I do have one question though, why does an eCS install default to using %bootdrive%/programs and %bootdrive%/home?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what else it could default to. 

ivan:
Maybe they, like the RPM/YUM install, could be emphasised in some way rather than being buried in with a lot of other options that most people don't look at.  An install page something like the networking page maybe?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version