Author Topic: Haiku Gains Support For Current Radeon HD Cards  (Read 2883 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 398
  • -Receive: 79
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Haiku Gains Support For Current Radeon HD Cards
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:38:48 am »
As reported by Phoronix, the Haiku operating system "has added (untested) support for the newest AMD Radeon graphics cards to its open-source driver for the BeOS-compatible operating system." (Specifically, that support is for the "Mullins" and "Hawaii" graphics processors.) Impressive that this project keeps the BeOS flag raised and continues to modernize; Haiku has been around since 2001 — years longer than Be, Inc. itself lasted.

Source: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/05/25/231214/haiku-gains-support-for-current-radeon-hd-cards

Just checking out other Open Source OS projects progress.   :'(
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 149
    • View Profile
Re: Haiku Gains Support For Current Radeon HD Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:04:39 am »
If I understand correctly there is no hardware acceleration so not much different the our Panorama driver.

Boris

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
Re: Haiku Gains Support For Current Radeon HD Cards
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:38 am »
As reported by Phoronix, the Haiku operating system "has added (untested) support for the newest AMD Radeon graphics cards to its open-source driver for the BeOS-compatible operating system." (Specifically, that support is for the "Mullins" and "Hawaii" graphics processors.) Impressive that this project keeps the BeOS flag raised and continues to modernize; Haiku has been around since 2001 — years longer than Be, Inc. itself lasted.

Source: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/05/25/231214/haiku-gains-support-for-current-radeon-hd-cards

Just checking out other Open Source OS projects progress.   :'(

That's not because of open source.

Also you've got your chance to change the video drivers situation with that e-mail from Pasha... ;)
LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!