Author Topic: OS/4 kernel development  (Read 9742 times)

walking_x

• View Profile
OS/4 kernel development
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:49:31 am »
Please share your thoughts with us...
In short - too many strange decisions and features. Too hard to negotiate with current part of team.

* VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT removed (with annoying message ;)) They promise to restore it later in another way, but this can take ages.
* Some things was broken in the recent past (FAT boot, trap screen).
* Alternative CLOCK/SCREEN/OS4APIC drivers...  Actually - there is no immediate necessity in them, they just created for "we made it". OS4APIC - use MP table and unusable on many PCs (someone wrote about this here). Why this method was choosen?
* They want remove DOS at all ;)
* They were against release kernel build (without kernel debugger). And now this build is practically untested, because nobody cares of it.

And so on... tired to fight not only with all above, but with many other the same small things. Pasha too, I think ;)
But this is offtopic in this topic, sorry :)

dbanet

Re: OS/4 kernel development
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 03:08:15 am »
Please share your thoughts with us...
In short - too many strange decisions and features. Too hard to negotiate with current part of team.

* VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT removed (with annoying message ;)) They promise to restore it later in another way, but this can take ages.
* Some things was broken in the recent past (FAT boot, trap screen).
* Alternative CLOCK/SCREEN/OS4APIC drivers...  Actually - there is no immediate necessity in them, they just created for "we made it". OS4APIC - use MP table and unusable on many PCs (someone wrote about this here). Why this method was choosen?
* They want remove DOS at all ;)
* They were against release kernel build (without kernel debugger). And now this build is practically untested, because nobody cares of it.

And so on... tired to fight not only with all above, but with many other the same small things. Pasha too, I think ;)
But this is offtopic in this topic, sorry :)

I agree with all these. :-\

But that's what we have, and the current OS/4 is the only evolving OS/2 kernel.

Also I cannot see any drawbacks of writing new clock, screen, apic and psd drivers. The only drawback now is that we have two stacks: ACPI4.SYS with OS4APIC.PSD, and ACPI.PSD. Someone will have to do something with this...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:00:11 am »
Sorry, I splitted this topic because I wanted to ask more about it (Plus I wanted to test how to split topics on the forum).

I always thought that Pavel and walking_x were the leaders of this development? Can you tell me which is the team of people behind OS/4 Kernel? Who is involved or leading the development?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

dbanet

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:14:12 am »
Sorry, I splitted this topic because I wanted to ask more about it (Plus I wanted to test how to split topics on the forum).

I always thought that Pavel and walking_x were the leaders of this development? Can you tell me which is the team of people behind OS/4 Kernel? Who is involved or leading the development?

Regards

Currently (since 3771 AFAIR) AlexT and moveton are involved in the "development".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:00:23 pm by Boris »

dbanet

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:29:34 am »
And, I think - OS/4 kernel is going into wrong direction now (even if ignore rhis "reverse - engeneering" problem). But, buildable kernel sources still can help in testing and development - in many cases.

Also it is really now making good progress, although there are some regressions and bugs, especially in the latest versions. They should and would be fixed.

If I convince Phoenix to produce a stable retail kernel release, for example, each 200 SVN revisions, I'll really look forward to see OS/4 included in Lewis's OS/2 build.

dbanet

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:45 am »
By the way, Martin, something has gone wrong with splitting... http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,401.0.html

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:11:50 am »
Who is involved or leading the development?
Talk to OS4User about kernel ;)
The last thing I've done in kernel - release build and this was one and a half year ago.