Author Topic: Heartbleed Bug Exploited Over Extensible Authentication Protocol  (Read 6965 times)

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Heartbleed Bug Exploited Over Extensible Authentication Protocol

from /. http://it.slashdot.org/story/14/06/02/1337246/heartbleed-bug-exploited-over-extensible-authentication-protocol

Keywords:- wpa_supplicant, OpenSSL, EAP, TLS (Wireless networking), Keeping WiFi integration up to date.

"While most organizations have patched the Heartbleed bug in their OpenSSL installations, a security expert has uncovered new vectors for exploiting the vulnerability, which can impact enterprise wireless networks, Android devices, and other connected devices. Dubbed 'Cupid,' the new attack method was recently presented by Portuguese security researcher Luis Grangeia, who debunked theories that Heartbleed could only be exploited over TCP connections, and after the TLS handshake. Unlike the initial Heartbleed attack, which took place on TLS connections over TCP, the Cupid attack happens on TLS connections over the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), an authentication framework typically used in wireless networks and peer-to-peer connections.

The researcher has confirmed that default installations of wpa_supplicant, hostapd, and freeradius (RADIUS server implementation) can be exploited on Ubuntu if a vulnerable version of OpenSSL is utilized. Mobile devices running Android 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 also use wpa_supplicant to connect to wireless networks, so they're also affected. Everything that uses OpenSSL for EAP TLS is susceptible to Cupid attacks. While he hasn't been able to confirm it, the expert believes iPhones, iPads, OS X, other RADIUS servers besides freeradius, VoIP phones, printers, and various commercial managed wireless solutions could be affected."

Did you know how much you can find out about me by googling "I am the computer, it is me"  with the quotes..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:31:35 pm by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners