Author Topic: OS2World Layout  (Read 13551 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
OS2World Layout
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »
Yesterday I noticed that Google Alerts was sending me updated OS/2 related news (finally) based on OS2world news.

But I noticed it came out from a site called. http://www.ecomstation.ca/. I think it is cool that site is using the RSS feeds for his site and he most be doing something better than I, since he is showing on "Google Alerts", but that is not the point.

Looking at that site I started to think if changing the OS2World layout to something similar to that site or Slashdot, will be useful or not. I generally like the layout of this site as it is right now since I can post full, long software announcement and that will not be annoying on the main page, since everybody can just click on the news he likes to expand it. Or trying a new layout like the ones used on slashdot which shows you the news contents in one shot, but I think that the kind of news we have here are different from the rest.

So, what do you think? A new layout? Do you read all the OS2World news completely, of you just like to click on ones that you think are interesting?
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Re: OS2World Layout
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 03:42:27 pm »
So, what do you think? A new layout? Do you read all the OS2World news completely, of you just like to click on ones that you think are interesting?

I like the pick and choose better.

However, I would just add something like his format on a different page to os2world - I really like his full page format. Just add a little icon next the news post, so you don't have to mess with os2worlds current homepage format.

I was planning on doing something like that with news and new uploads from Hobbes too. With a rexx app, so anyone can just drag and drop their news or software on it.  It would auto upload to Hobbes and post the news auto too.

I have a working rexx app and news server, just haven't got around to it yet.

Cheers

Greggory
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:36:08 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:50:11 pm »
Hi Martin,

I like the front page of os2world.com as it currently is, like list, newsgroups etc I find if more logical, I can scan and click on what interests me,
quick, concise and to the point :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

Ian, I also like it that way, but I noticed that other sites don't use that design anymore. And when I asked some youngsters they said the webpage is "old school".

But from the other side, I like the structure of having on a single main page the following blocks.
1) Featured News (Max 3)
2) General News Subjects
3) Software News Subjects
4) Latest forums replies Subjects.

I think it is very easy to follow and you just click on what do you like to read.

But I need to have my mind open for alternatives, but I think that putting all news like "ecomstation.ca" will not be good for the main page, since sometime people don't want to read about the latest update for the software, only know that it had been updated and click the donwload link fast.

I used to have an idea of creating another page merging together all the mess of RSS feeds with OS/2 related information. Like trying to keep on eye on everything. Forum, Blogs, to experiment... but I never got the time to make it work. 
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:19 am »
I don't want to see os2world in design of ecomstation.ca. I like the current design.

Although you're right that os2world web site needs some work.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:16:35 am »
Hi Martin,

Ian, I also like it that way, but I noticed that other sites don't use that design anymore. And when I asked some youngsters they said the webpage is "old school".

I know, they want stuff that fits on a tablet/smartphone screen. They also like things that you can 'click' through with your fingers on a touch screen, with bright and animated screens, they don't understand the data or work cost involved, all very instant gratification for themselves with the strange notion that anyone with a webpage has a developer on staff to look after it all, oh, thats you :)

I think we have been around to long but I notice my daughter as she gets older is slowly evolving to the same likes as myself, probably because she is finding a lot is actually easier on her laptop than her smartphone. Another way of saying that once the novelty has worn off, something more practical becomes appealing. I think you would also have to reduce the number of items in each front page list to cope for tablet/smartphone users - I think the current number is good as long as your using a PC but then PC's are apparently for dinosaurs :(

From the POV of smartphone/tablet users, I will admit that os2world.com needs work, or maybe my fingers are just to big. Is there a front end that can reformat for smartphone like some other websites are doing, and what sort of work is involved ? Is there a big enough need or can it be left for 'later' ?

Keeping in mind a lot of that front end software lists OS/2 as O*=Mobile device so we have to keep changing our UA tag to something else.  At least if someone that uses OS/2-eCS is involved the UA problem will be sorted reasonably quickly the first time they use an OS/2-eCS based browser.

You could simply change the color scheme ?
Also look at other front end themes that keep the basic data setup but mabe modernise it.
Just throwing stuff out there.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 08:22:45 am »
Hi Martin,

Don't worry about it, the layout is the best for the content or as Ian said change up the colors !

I know, they want stuff that fits on a tablet/smartphone screen. They also like things that you can 'click' through with your fingers on a touch screen, with bright and animated screens

Hmm, I may have or may have not touch my laptop screen trying to do something today:) Ian you are right though, I miss my laptop especially today - try updating a site from ur ipad :)

From the POV of smartphone/tablet users, I will admit that os2world.com needs work, or maybe my fingers are just to big. Is there a front end that can reformat for smartphone like some other websites are doing, and what sort of work is involved ? Is there a big enough need or can it be left for 'later' ?

http://www.mobilejoomla.com/tour.html or http://html5up.net - is what I use now and seem really great for most devices.

You could add a separate page for mobile news, but ask ur self what's the demand is for it ? I use an ipad most of time now and os2world is fine on that and I'm sure smart phone users can wait til they get home :)  I just added a mobile template to my site. But I'm leaning html5 and css3, so I had other reasons !

You could simply change the color scheme ?
Also look at other front end themes that keep the basic data setup but mabe modernise it.
Just throwing stuff out there.

Maybe it's just time for a small theme change - hint hint  ;D by the way thanks for all the hard work you do for the community !

Cheers,

Greggory
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:44:23 am by Greggory Shaw »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I will start looking for some different joomla templates (OS2World is on Joomla) so I can get ideas of what can be improved on the "Design" area, but keeping the same layout.  I remember last time I updated the OS2World Joomla script it was a torture to me to customize the template. I will check if things had changed or if there is something "almost ready" to reuse.

About Mobile, I tested a little bit MobileJoomla, maybe it is time to try out again on a dev enviroment. About SMF Forum there used to be some templates that was Mobile friendly.

It will take some time, but I will start looking for new colors and design for OS2World.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 02:52:17 pm »
I found it. For SMF Forum there is SMF4Mobile - http://smf-media.com