Author Topic: TexMaker  (Read 9814 times)

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
TexMaker
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:05 pm »
Hello to every one.  I am a new member here, although I have been an OS/2 user since 1990.  I wrote an article for EDM/2 some time ago, and I am the author of a now extinct OS/2 product called Naviplex. 

My question is about setting up TexMaker to produce documents on OS/2.  I use this product on other platforms to create documents for my Math class at University.  I would like to use ECS for this but I do not know how.
I have downloaded the VTex distribution from Micropress and installed both it and TexMaker.  TexMaker runs but I can not create a PDF.  The TexMaker configuration dialog is pre-populated with the names of the programs that come with the MikTex Tex distribution.  I have looked in the VTex tree but the name of the programs are different.  Since the V Tex distribution is free, I don't think I can raise an issue to Micropress.  I would be interested to correspond with any user who has successfully used TexMaker with either VTex or another Tex distribution.

Thanks

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: TexMaker
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:34:52 am »
Don't know much about the various tex programs but do any of the ones here, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/os2/apps/wp/tex help you?

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 06:36:54 am »
Thanks for the response.  There are quite a few programs on Hobbes.  I will have to investigate them. 

I do like the Qt port of TexMaker very much.  It is a Tex IDE and runs the Tex to PDF tools if you supply it with the appropriate names.
My problem is I don't have any documentation identifying the binaries distributed with VTex.  I am hoping someone here has some information on how to identify the various tools in VTex and Ghostscript to TexMaker.

I have written a thesis in MS Word and I find Tex far superior is ease of use and flexibility.

Tex is a formatting language similar in concept to Html especially well suited to academic paper preparation.  The Tex distribution , in my case VTex, contains compilers that take the Tex source file and render PDF files, among other types. 

I appreciate any help I may receive.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:36:51 am »
Thanks for the response.  There are quite a few programs on Hobbes.  I will have to investigate them. 

I do like the Qt port of TexMaker very much.  It is a Tex IDE and runs the Tex to PDF tools if you supply it with the appropriate names.
My problem is I don't have any documentation identifying the binaries distributed with VTex.  I am hoping someone here has some information on how to identify the various tools in VTex and Ghostscript to TexMaker.

I have written a thesis in MS Word and I find Tex far superior is ease of use and flexibility.

Tex is a formatting language similar in concept to Html especially well suited to academic paper preparation.  The Tex distribution , in my case VTex, contains compilers that take the Tex source file and render PDF files, among other types. 

I appreciate any help I may receive.

AFAICR, VTex has a fairly good documentation, but I don't remember very good if the technical side is thoroughly covered (i.e. executable names).

Most of the LaTeX / TeX processing in VTex is done via CMD files, and I think (although I didn't tried until now) TexMaker should be easy to reconfigure for those command files. I suggest you to go and search for VTex documentation in PDF - it should be present into the VTex distribution.

Mentore

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:05 pm »
Thanks Mentore.

You statement about the cmd files did help.  I have produced a PDF output file.  I was using the raw exe file with no command line options.  But I have looked in the VTex tree and there is no documentation.

I still have not gotten TexMaker to produce the PDF using its IDE interface, but the day is young.

Pete2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:37 pm »
At work I use TexMaker with the teTeX distribution on ubuntu. It's possible that TexMaker expects to be used with teTeX - you can get Jun Sawataishi's port from Hobbes. On OS/2 I use TexStudio, a fork of TexMaker, with teTeX, and it works fine.

HTH
Pete

Mike La Martina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:06:51 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  Now that school is out for the summer (for me anyway) I will have time to try these tools.
I have downloaded the teTex files and will give that a try.