WebSite Information > Comments, Suggestions & Questions

Supported Hardware Wiki - Request for Help

(1/4) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I will like to know if someone is interested in helping me with an OS/2-eCS Supported Hardware site based on OS2World Wiki.  I know that someones are in favor and other against a Wiki, but that is all I got to have a collaborative way to create a "Supported" hardware list for this platform.

I got Jonas Buys permission to republish his site contents on the OS2World Wiki and reposting his content very slowly. So, I need a little hand with this.

The Wiki is here: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Hardware

I'm organizing it in a different way:
- The first column (Computers, Hardware Devices and Adapters) are lists (tables) of the supported devices. On that list each device can have its own wiki page link if it is necessary.
- On the second column, on Drivers, I want to have a list (tables) of the device drivers for each category.
- On the second column, on Tools, There are links to the Tools descriptions
- On the third column In want to link the general information that used to have the OS2Warp.be site.

You can access OS2Warp.be on the archive.

Let me know if there is interest about improving this Wiki area. Currently I'm not discussing to have an alternative to a Wiki because I can not create a "database site" and I want all the documentation to be Creative Commons, but help is welcome.

Eugene Gorbunoff:
As you can see, the users don't send Hardware reports.

Only a company which is working with Hardware (or writing drivers for OS/2) every day is able to collect information. Sort it, clean, Read forums, bug-trackers and collect bits of information.

ivan:
Martin, a couple of observations from me wearing my engineers hat.

Contrary to what Eugene says ordinary people will contribute if you make it simple for them to do so. 

Your average person is, generally, not into editing a Wiki page usually because they are not sure what is wanted.  There is a way to bypass that but it requires that whoever controls the Wiki does the actual editing based on e-mailed reports from users.

To do something like that it would require you to produce templates (something like the hobbes readme.template but in much greater detail) that people can download, fill in and e-mail back.  You would also need to provide some indication of the types of information you needed as well as how to obtain it if necessary (see the problem.txt provided with Dani's drivers).

I can say the above does work because I setup such a system at a large engineering plant so their service department a) knew what equipment had problems and b) also knew what replacement parts were most probably required (my consultant fees were paid for in the first 6 months of operation by reduced down time costs).

If you want to discuss in more detail e-mail me, my registered e-mail works.

dbanet:

--- Quote from: ivan on June 12, 2014, 09:12:21 pm ---To do something like that it would require you to produce templates (something like the hobbes readme.template but in much greater detail) that people can download, fill in and e-mail back.

--- End quote ---

Oh, that is pain. If I were a user (well, I am), I wouldn't do anything like that.

A simple HTML form is much much better than a text template that is needed to be sent to an e-mail address...

ivan:
Boris, not everyone is using their computer with the browser open all the time and it a lot easier to use a simple text editor to get your information down and checked first, especially if it need such things as the output of PCI.EXE, RMVIEW etc.

An HTML form might work for simple add in cards, USB adapters etc but howmany pages would you need to give full information about a motherboard?  Especially where you need to note the changes that need to be made to the BIOS to get it to boot, what order the HD controllers need to be in etc.

Your idea would work if all that was needed were responses like 'works', 'takes some time to set up', 'sound not working' or 'sound only works with xyz driver'.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version